Home

Hi,
I damaged my rear wheel on my commute home last night. I'm assume i hit one of London's notorious potholes a bit too hard. The result is that two spokes are no longer attached to the hub body - one of the (plastic) raised parts of the hub which anchors the spokes to the hub in pairs has broken off. Its a Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel about two years old in otherwise very good nick. Is this all over for the wheel or fixable (new hub?) at less than the cost of a new one. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Brendan

6 comments

Stephanos [18 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Theoretically you should be able to change the hub and replace the spokes. Not sure how much would that cost though.

cat1commuter [1421 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure that the bit which attaches the spokes is aluminium, not plastic. This is true even on the Mavic wheels with pointless carbon fibre hub shells.

Fringe [1047 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

well for my 2p worth i think it kinda depends on the rim and if you can build wheels.. sounds like the hub is unusable so if you can get a new/second hand compatible hub, new spokes and the rim isn't to worn then you could build yourself a new wheel. but if the rim hasn't got much life left you prob. better off getting a new wheel. buying a new hub and then getting a LBS to build it for you may not be much cheaper than a new wheel..

Fringe [1047 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes
SPAM Naval [139 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Guys
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. It's definitely a plastic part of the hub body (they;re probably 2008 wheels I think). i'm probably going to go down the road of buying a new wheel cos i agree i think trying to buy a new hub body and rebuild the wheel with a three year old rim isn't worth it (for now I'll revert to the original Mavic Aksium rear wheel that i have as a spare).
anyone need some Elite spokes, you know where to come now..  4

SPAM Naval [139 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

just a note to cat1commuter, you were right the bit that broke is aluminium (thats what you get for looking in semi-darkness i guess!).
i'm back in action anyway after putting back on the Aksium last night. thanks chaps