Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ksyrium Elite pot hole damage - terminal?

Hi,
I damaged my rear wheel on my commute home last night. I'm assume i hit one of London's notorious potholes a bit too hard. The result is that two spokes are no longer attached to the hub body - one of the (plastic) raised parts of the hub which anchors the spokes to the hub in pairs has broken off. Its a Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel about two years old in otherwise very good nick. Is this all over for the wheel or fixable (new hub?) at less than the cost of a new one. Any advice would be great, thanks.
Brendan

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

SPAM Naval | 13 years ago
0 likes

just a note to cat1commuter, you were right the bit that broke is aluminium (thats what you get for looking in semi-darkness i guess!).
i'm back in action anyway after putting back on the Aksium last night. thanks chaps

SPAM Naval | 13 years ago
0 likes

Guys
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. It's definitely a plastic part of the hub body (they;re probably 2008 wheels I think). i'm probably going to go down the road of buying a new wheel cos i agree i think trying to buy a new hub body and rebuild the wheel with a three year old rim isn't worth it (for now I'll revert to the original Mavic Aksium rear wheel that i have as a spare).
anyone need some Elite spokes, you know where to come now..  4

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes
Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

well for my 2p worth i think it kinda depends on the rim and if you can build wheels.. sounds like the hub is unusable so if you can get a new/second hand compatible hub, new spokes and the rim isn't to worn then you could build yourself a new wheel. but if the rim hasn't got much life left you prob. better off getting a new wheel. buying a new hub and then getting a LBS to build it for you may not be much cheaper than a new wheel..

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure that the bit which attaches the spokes is aluminium, not plastic. This is true even on the Mavic wheels with pointless carbon fibre hub shells.

Stephanos | 13 years ago
0 likes

Theoretically you should be able to change the hub and replace the spokes. Not sure how much would that cost though.

Latest Comments