Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Riding on Mallorca - routes and recommendations

Hi folks. I've got the opportunity of a couple of weeks somewhere sunny ish, in April. I'm seriously considering Mallorca. Basing myself in Palma and heading out each day on my own.

Any comments, suggestions for routes, places to stop for coffee etc?

TIA

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

celeb | 13 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Sa Collobra, its a must descent and climb if ever you get the chance to ride there, a pure mecca in the early month's, also recc the ride out to light house at Formentore.

To be honest in the north of the island I dont think there is a bad ride and its easy to get your bearings with the mountains running across the north.

August may be hot but dont be put off, plenty of lotion, best to get out early, road surface is v smooth but watch the corners in the mountains if its wet as they get very greasy.

enjoy

smernicki | 13 years ago
0 likes

Team Sky have posted loads of GPD routes on their website from the teams training camp there which are perhaps useful to you.
They are riding in the same part of the island where I am doing Ironman 70.3 Mallorca later in the year so it's been great to delve into those.

smernicki replied to smernicki | 13 years ago
0 likes

...of course I meant 'GPS routes'.

paslemeilleur | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sa Calobra is a fantastic descent/climb. Probably the toughest on the island, spectacular!

LardLover | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've just been chatting to Bruce at Procycle Hire. He syas there are rides from the shop, everyday 0830 returning 1230. Mixed abilities.

I've signed for a couple of days, just need to get a pass off the wife for the extra day now!

Woohoo, roll on August.

geoffj replied to LardLover | 13 years ago
0 likes
LardLover wrote:

I've just been chatting to Bruce at Procycle Hire. He syas there are rides from the shop, everyday 0830 returning 1230. Mixed abilities.

That sounds like a good option. They would have to be VERY mixed for me to tag along though  3

LardLover replied to geoffj | 13 years ago
0 likes
geoffj wrote:

That sounds like a good option. They would have to be VERY mixed for me to tag along though  3

Hehehehe, that's why I'm tagging along  1

LardLover | 13 years ago
0 likes

Are you taking your own bike? There's a canny cycle hire shop in Puerto Pollensa:

http://www.procyclehire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27...

I popped in last year, they were really helpful. I'm going to book a bike for when I go out there. I think the wife would whinge too much if I took mine (as I'd always be out on it!)

geoffj | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments. I'm now going to be staying in Puerto Pollensa on the North coast now. I would imagine that cycling in August would be OK as long as you take enough fluids and do the strenuous stuff early on.

LardLover | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to jump on your thread geoffj  14
I'm off to Puerto Pollensa (with the family) in August, is it too hot to ride then? (bearing in mind I've got the lovely north of England whiter than white skin, and not used to exercising in temps exceeding 15 degrees Celsius etc etc  3 )

I got a pass off the wife last August but declined as I was unsure as to where to go, but I've been doing some research for this year.

I think I could manage an early ride before it gets too hot. Anyone else ridden in August in Mallorca (Majorca!).

William Lanigan | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hi,
I would not base myself in Palma as getting out of the town can take some time.
I based myself in Santa Ponza a couple of years ago which was perfect for getting to some super roads on the north west side of the island.
Pollenca bay on the north east side of the island is also a nice place for access to the northern side of the sierra (Soller) and also a super (but short) ride to cape Formentor.
Enjoy in any case as it is cycling paradise.
William

Latest Comments