Home

Anyone use something non-cycling specific either in the workshop or as on bike clothing, etc that really works?

Just got some new gloves that are not 'bike' clothing but I reckon would work pretty well in the current weather.

Also was given the tip by a lbs to pop a bit of mr.sheen on my clipless pedals to help the release.

Anyone else have anything like that to add?

13 comments

dave atkinson [6223 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Lowe Alpine powerstretch fleece that's fantastic as an extra layer for the cold snaps. It's really for skiing but I don't get to do much of that...

i'll have to try mr sheening up my pedals  1

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

The gloves I got are North Face Pamir windstopper's btw.

DaveP [412 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Rohan base layer... Long backed & armed and v-toasty.  1

Jonty79 [26 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I picked up some thermal base layer long sleeve tops and leggings from Sport Direct. They cost £7 - £8 each compared to the £20 - £30 plus you'd pay for an equivalent product aimed specifically for cyclists.

Jon Burrage [998 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I use some Salomon XA PRO 3D GTX trainers on the bike when zipping round town at the mo - windproof, waterproof and toasty.

Old Cranky [257 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I use some cheap ski-targeted base layers with roll neck tops during the winter.

Oli Pendrey [100 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm using a Nike Windrunner jacket as my top layer for my commute at the mo, it's essentially a running/fashion* jacket but it's really lightweight, does a great job of keeping the wind out and is showerproof too.

*debatable

Blackhound [439 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

My mate uses some tool for a late '60's Cortina for fitting headsets.....

PJ McNally [591 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

My old 1990's headband! fits under a helmet snugly and keeps the ears warm.

The _Kaner [774 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I love my Buff (Saltire- FREEEEEEEEDOM!)
...as yet though, even though it's been arctic conditions, I've still to wear it Ninja fashion...but bandit/bankrobber stylee has been keeping the worst of the weather out...  3

RuthF28 [100 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I used to do a lot of long-distance walking so use that gear when cycling - wickable tops, Karrimor tights, Mountain Equipment fleece, and so on. In this weather I've been cycling in my (lightweight) walking boots - they've far better grip on ice and snow than my cycling shoes and they're warmer around the ankle. I'll also use my cycling gear when I go running, especially my hi-vis shirt and arm warmers. And my Buff gets worn whatever I do!

rodsquad [30 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

I've noticed in a lot of cycling shops you can get reflective vests for around £15-20. If you pop down to your local hardware store you can pick up a workman's reflective vest for under a fiver. It also gives a little more insulation in these cold winter commutes.

Having to undo laces or straps with numb fingers is a pain in the rear end. So I swear by Vans slip-on trainers with Sealskin waterproof socks for commuting. Simple and seriously effective.

Fish_n_Chips [484 posts] 5 years ago
0 likes

Car shampoo