Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

My favourite bit of winter kit is....

as the weather turns colder its nice to have some kit based incentive to get out there so how about listing the bits of kit you love?
For me its my Rapha winter collar - truly breathable, warm and not even that expensive (for Rapha) and works great in all temperature ranges from slightly chilly when it doesnt boil you down to brass monkeys.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

39 comments

Ms Morthern Rebel | 13 years ago
0 likes

My wonderful winter combination that never lets me down is Merino base layer, Gore Phantom jacket, Altura Mistral Tights, Merino socks and as always the trusty Buff. A spare pair of snuggly socks for after the ride always goes down well too.

SteveAustin | 13 years ago
0 likes

My Gore Phantom Jacket. Keeps me toasty!

chiefoldmist | 13 years ago
0 likes

Endura stealth jacket & craft pro zero baselayer

2WheelsChalk | 13 years ago
0 likes

It only arrived last Weds and already my Shutt VR winter jersey in flandria red is the go-to item for this winter.

-6C when I left home yesterday and was perfectly snug with l/s baselayer underneath and gilet on top as a deflector layer.

A Buff, nuff said by @stofish @fixiegirl @the_mikey @jimmythecuckoo. Have 2 x from Shutt VR and 1 x freebie from C+.

Mudguards, don't care what anybody else says about how they look.

£3 pair of Thinsulate gloves from my local hardware store

bobby84 | 13 years ago
0 likes

My protection in the rain!

mr-andrew | 13 years ago
0 likes

my icebreaker merino base layer. not just on the bike, but pretty much everywhere else too.

KirinChris | 13 years ago
0 likes

Another one for a Rapha softshell.

Sometimes when I'm 'home' I have a momentary regret that I can't use it in Abu Dhabi, where the most winter kit anyone wears is arm-warmers, gloves and toe-covers and maybe a gilet until you warm up.

The moment passes fairly quickly...

I'm back for Christmas. Would love to have some lovely sunny winter days to get out and wear my lovely softshell.

the_mikey | 13 years ago
0 likes

Definately a Buff or two, makes everything else so much more bearable!

DM | 13 years ago
0 likes

Assos Fugujack, can't wait for it to get below zero.

martyntr | 13 years ago
0 likes

Windtex Gilet, Skullcap, Buff to make you look like a Ninja..... and don't forget the overshoes, that make you look like a clown  3

handlebarcam | 13 years ago
0 likes

My favourite bit of winter kit are full-length mudguards, with mudflaps, fitted to bike of the club mate in front of me.

OneLooseNut | 13 years ago
0 likes

Log fire. Single Malt. Leave bike in the garage.

badback | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ground Effect Diable socks - I can ride all day this time of year as long as my feet are warm.

westfour | 13 years ago
0 likes

Sealskinz waterproof socks and Polaris overshoes - happy feet equals happy cycling

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ground Effect Submerino base layer.

step.doran | 13 years ago
0 likes

I one thing I didn't want to have this year was cold toes, so my BBB Heavy Duty overshoes are doing the trick rather nicely, with thicker ones for wet days (we do get a few in Embra  1 )

Lara Dunn | 13 years ago
0 likes

Shimano MW80 winter riding boots. They're supposedly MTB shoes, but that's brilliant, they keep my feet toasty on and off road.

Merino Buff.

Paramo Jacket.

el.dudino | 13 years ago
0 likes

SKS Blumels.

Sealskinz Merino Glove-liners.

Endura Road overshoes.

Winter would be awful without the above!  1

yellowyeller replied to el.dudino | 13 years ago
0 likes
el.dudino wrote:

SKS Blumels.

Sealskinz Merino Glove-liners.

Endura Road overshoes.

Winter would be awful without the above!  1

+1 re: the Endura overshoes, what a difference they make.

townmouse | 13 years ago
0 likes

merino base layer, hand-knitted socks and wellies for when it's really flooded...

stuke | 13 years ago
0 likes

DHB momentum jersey, bought it after reading the review on here and its super toasty, -6 when I left the house this morning and pairing it with a merino base layer no problem with being cold at all.

alotronic | 13 years ago
0 likes

Northwave winter boots, worth every penny and on their fifth winter.

tayzar | 13 years ago
0 likes

My surly crosscheck.. loads of tire clearance and its already crap brown so no cleaning required!!

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

The Brooks mudflap on my front mudguard.

Fringe | 13 years ago
0 likes

my single speed Boardman is a laugh to ride at this time of year, or any time really but i tend to use it more during the winter. oh and my howies merino baselayer, at work or on the bike. works best any which way.

northernrebel | 13 years ago
0 likes

DHB Merston full length bib tights. Lovely flock lining that keeps me warm on a frosty morning.

Old Cranky | 13 years ago
0 likes

Endura BaaBaa merino beanie.

timbola | 13 years ago
0 likes

My Rapha merino hat - perfect under a helmet - warm as toast, repels water but dries quickly if it does get wet. Second would be my Rapha Softshell ... bullet-proof quality !

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

Why stop at 3?  1

Stofish replied to dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

Why stop at 3?  1

Good question!
I shall place my order for a dozen more immediately.

Pages

Latest Comments