Home

My existing (very basic) Heart Rate Monitor watch gave up the ghost last night whilst out running. With an impending birthday and Christmas, I thought I may take the opportunity to persuade the wife to buy me a new toy.

I'd like to get a new HRM which combines the HR function with a GPS for tracking routes, speeds etc. I would mostly be using it for running, but would obviously like it to be usable on my bike too.

I've previously looked at the Garmin 405CX, which seems to do most things I want (a separate cadence sensor is available). Presumably Polar do something similar too. Any advice and recommendations gratefully received.

6 comments

jablake [34 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

hi
if its a polar try sending it back for repair.
my son had a polar sent it back for new battery they told him they no longer surported the model,but gave him a 40% discount on a new model

nellybuck@msn.com [169 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tip JB. It is a Polar, albeit a pretty old one. I'll see what sort of response they give me, which could sway me away from the Garmin route.

abudhabiChris [691 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I would not recommend Polar, after using one of their watch-style models for the last few years. A CS625X I think it was called.

Probably fine for running but I found on the bike it was subject to a lot of interference if anyone riding next to me had a Polar, even a different model. And it also produced a lot of false readings through over interference - phones etc.

I had it correctly positioned and well within the suggested limits. Other people with Polars have said the same thing to me.

Very happy with my new Garmin but that's an Edge 500 so not a model you would use for running.

Miggers [67 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I gave up on Polar after they pretty much announced no support for Mac, went Garmin and more than happy..

SPAM Naval [139 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I too am a Garmin convert (an edge 500 too). i had one of those Polar watches and footpod thingys also previously which worked well but i hated the fact that the battery change required it to go back to Polar - where's the ease of use in this day and age, c'mon?

petelanc [56 posts] 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Garmin 405 for about 18 months (the older, not CX model).
The GPS function is excellent, good reception and tracking even under trees.
The touch bezel is rubbish, it fails completely in the rain (or with sweaty fingers). This really limits the functionality when you are out running or riding.
The Garmin Connect website is OK; its a bit limited, not designed well and painfully slow.
Battery life is almost exactly 8 hrs, as my slow Tour of Wessex proved.
My suggestion - get one with real buttons, say 310XT - bigger but more useable. Or check out the new 410, they say that they have sorted out the bezel. Make sure you try it first.