Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Mobile version of road.cc

Just wanted to canvass a bit of opinion on whether road.cc'ers use their mobiles to access the site?

I have just been Blackberried and find the site slow to load through mobile internet.

Now, I haven't the first clue about WAP and Android and apps and stuff, but could road.cc go mobile at some stage and make it possible for me to read the news and post on the forum without it being either tiny, or about £1m in data charges?

(sorry Dave, this is more of a question than the previous one about adding polls to the forum!)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

When's it coming back?

0 likes

Cool, I thought I had broken it  7

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Yeah  16

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

don't worry, it will return. but when we tried it on the live site it picked up some issues we hadn't noticed in development, so we need to fix them before we lob it back up. we will though.

JohnBuc | 13 years ago
0 likes

Worked well and I liked the layout and speed when viewing on iPhone 3gs on Orange 2g/3g.

As mentioned above, it's gone AWOL now!

I liked the m site colours too by the way!

jova54 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Dave, after the weekend I've had I was beginning to believe that all the technology was conspiring against me.

0 likes

a few teething troubles which we're working on  22

jova54 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've been trying to connect to the mobile site today for the first time and it comes back with url not found.

Is the site up at present?

I'm using HTC Desire on Vodafone.

scook94 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Working great on my Blackberry Torch running OS6 (.337)

bazzargh | 13 years ago
0 likes

iPhone 4. The page width is wider than the screen, and smaller when rotated (you expect rotating a mobile site to portrait to still show at device width, so the text is larger). I see you've set an absolute size for the viewport in the meta tag. Should this not be the usual <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=no"/> (like say, m.bbc.co.uk)?

Secondly I was loading this on a 2G network and it did seem a tad slow. The visible portion of the page rendered quickly but the network was still active loading dozens of stories 'below the fold' that I'll never see. Please consider loading fewer and using the common trick of ajax requests to load more on scroll to get that 'infinite scroll' effect.

dave atkinson replied to bazzargh | 13 years ago
0 likes
bazzargh wrote:

Please consider loading fewer and using the common trick of ajax requests to load more on scroll to get that 'infinite scroll' effect.

we're certainly considering that, we'll continue to fiddle with the mobile site to try and get the best out of it...

skippy0791 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Works great for me. Using HTC desire on Orange with Android 2.2. Either mobile or wifi page loads quickly.

skippy0791 | 13 years ago
0 likes

Works great for me. Using HTC desire on Orange with Android 2.2. Either mobile or wifi page loads quickly.

chiefoldmist | 13 years ago
0 likes

Looking good from my HTC Hero / Android 2.1 - main site slowish to load but am guessing that may just be an initial peak

0 likes

so, the fledgling version of the mobile site is live:

http://m.road.cc

you can get latest news and reviews and check out the forum. If you have a go, let us know what mobile you use and how (whether) it worked...

therevokid | 13 years ago
0 likes

SE X10 with droid 2.1 .... road.cc on my phone is
actually quicker than using the "works" pc !!!!

in fact this was typed from the phone  1

0 likes

No joy yet, the site uses a lot of script (I think its called) and memory on the home page so I just can't get it to load.

jova54 | 13 years ago
0 likes

I've got a HTC Desire and it works really well.

I use it through the network hub at home and when I'm out and about through WAP and although it is slower on the move delay is not a major issue.

I'm on Vodafone, if that's likely to be an issue.

0 likes

Thanks F&C I'll give that a go

Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

I have viewed occasionally while working away and it is OK on my Nokia 5880. Bit slow loading though.

I view it through Opera mobile which I was advised was good - I use Opera as my default browser on main pc anyway so used to the format

0 likes

whats the best browsing solution for a Blackberry? I am just on the O2 Active

Super Domestique replied to James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes
jimmythecuckoo wrote:

whats the best browsing solution for a Blackberry? I am just on the O2 Active

+1 for wanting to know the answer as my blackberry arrives tomorrow.

Jon Burrage | 13 years ago
0 likes

works ok on my htc touch pro 2 (windows mobile) and on my girlfriends htc hero (android - older version). I am sure it will work even better on the htc desire hd (android 2:2), will let you know later this week.

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

@Tony, my pre loaded browser was horrid on my Sony Ericky 905.

Have you tried downloading Opera browser for the Sony?
Works a bit better.

Use your mobile to navigate to m.opera.com

TheHatter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Have to say its fine when I borrow mrs Hatters iphone 4.

0 likes

It's not great on my SE995… but tbh I think that's my phone, cos everything else is really slow on that too

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Works fine on my iphone 4 using safari, Opera and my SE 905 and the old mans Nokia n95 8GB.

I think touch screens with a pinch zoom or a big screen like the HTC Desire HD will fine.

The site looks well layed out and easy to scroll over while sites like Bike Radar are all over the place.
Scolling up and down is all that is needed.

While the forum looks simple, on a mobile it is easy to browse and catch up on articles or reviews.

0 likes

let's not forget that without the ads there's no site though, eh?  22

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

I'm not a mobile phone user but I have 2p to add.

The speed of road.cc can be affected by google-analytics, among other things. Twice the other evening my browser (FF3.6) stopped responding while waiting for the site so Adblock Plus was installed and that domain blocked. Problem solved.

Am presently browsing it with Opera 10, which seems to be loading pages pretty quickly. Mind you, that's probably because I have blocked a number of annoying adverts. Sorry but I wasn't going to buy anything anyway.

In this day of the ubiquity of Flash content I think too many websites are written for those with particularly fast connections; multiple domains are referenced, content dragged in from here and there and these things slow it all down for the end user. I'm not saying treat us like we're on dial-up but page components should be considered for their effect on performance as much as anything.

0 likes

currently just over 7% of the logged visits to road.cc are made from mobile devices, and it is something we're considering quite closely. currently we're trying to work out the best strategy for a mobile site but rest assured, we are looking into it.

i'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of the current site on their mobile device. let us know what you got, and how well the site performs. for my part i've got an htc desire and the site displays fairly well although it's a bit slow.

Latest Comments