Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

change to triple ring?

I have a Trek 1.1. It is fitted with a FSA Tempo, 50/34 chainset and Sun Race CSR86 12-25, 8 speed. I see now I should have got a triple chainset as I am missing the low gears. Is it possible/easy to change? Any hints or tips would be appreciated.
Thanks Phil

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

earbyphil | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the comments all.
I am new to the road bike but have many years on a mountain bike.
I now know I will need to change the rear mech' as it's only suitable for 11-25 (shimano 2300).
So, I will try the Fish-n-Chips and andylul approach.
I had compared MTB/Road whilst riding a steep slope (the road from Foulridge to Fanny Grey, if you know it) and expected it to be more "difficult" but as yet,I have not been able to get to the top in one!
Ta.
Phil

andylul | 13 years ago
0 likes

I swapped a touring triple for a compact 105 and struggled to start with - I rarely use the granny ring (if you can call it that on a compact double) nowadays.

Sounds flippant, but for the extra hassle of changing mechs, chain, cranks wouldn't it be easier just to try and adjust your body to the double?

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Or you could give yourself more time to adapt and ride hills more till you love them!

I love hills but it took me 3 weeks to adjust to them.
Some it takes a year of training. I need to drop loads of weight for July 2011 hill events. Power to weight ratio and lactic threshold.

11-27 cassette would be the ideal option as said by the chain gang if your rear mech can deal with the range of gearing (new chain too).  4

Do you have any injuries? Age? weight? ride posture etc.
Just review yourself quickly before a big spend as you might not to buy a thing.

Find a good hill on your own and time yourself, spin and repeat weekly trying to improve on your time - it'll come.

Wished I had a triple but glad I don't now! but it took a while to climb well.

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

As Dave says, this gets you very similar gearing to a 30-tooth inner ring with the 25T cassette. 11-32 may require a new mech, but they are cheap.

dave atkinson | 13 years ago
0 likes

A road triple would be a 30T inner ring, and fitting that at considerable expense would net you a 32" bottom gear. Swapping to an 11-28T cassette (your road mech shouldn't have any problem with this) will get you almost the same low gear for much less outlay.

You could go even further with an 11-32 cassette although you might find you need to fit an MTB rear mech.

earbyphil | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Simon.
Maybe the answer is to try a 11 - 32 casette.

Phil

Simon E | 13 years ago
0 likes

You may need a new STI lever too - it really isn't a cheap option.

If you fit a 12-28 or 11-32 wide range MTB cassette you'll get something with a lower bottom ratio.

TheHatter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Not that difficult - other than the chainset you're also probably looking at a new bottom bracket and front mech and possibly rear mech too. However the cost does add up especially if its done by a shop.
As its a bike that holds its value well I'd seriously consider selling and buying again. Other option is to see if anyone has a triple and wants to switch the other way.
If you want more range very easily then maybe you could keep the compact and put a wider range cassette on the rear?

Latest Comments