Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What is the tape made of to make spoked rims airtight?

Will someone explain what the tape is made of and how it works/seals a spoked rim to be airtight....

.....if it can work on cycle wheels I guess I could also use it on my motorcycle rims?....

.....can you buy rolls of it or is it manufacturer fit only........

.......I’ve only been away from the sport for 40 years and ‘suddenly’ there is all this new technology to get my head around!!!

cheers,

bigoldboy

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

SteveAustin | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just saying, but duct//gorilla tape is a lot thicker/heavier than needs be to seal a rim. it will work fine, but if you have splashed a lot of money on a set of lightweight wheels/tyres and gone to the effort of setting it up tubeless might as well use a lightweight specific rim tape ...

Electrical tape isnt really sticky enough ime

stans tape works really well 

tincaman | 5 years ago
2 likes

TESA 4289 tape can be had for about £12 for 66m. Same or very similar to branded Stan's tubeless tape

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

You can buy rolls of specific tubeless rim tape if you want to. Don't go for ordinary rim tape as that won't be airtight.

The proper stuff is probably lighter weight than Gorilla/Duck tape but is more expensive and often more fragile. I've made the mistake of damaging the rim tape when getting difficult tubeless tyres onto the rim which then made them impossible to seat, so I prefer to have something a bit tougher.

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, it has to be air-tight. The only stick on rim tape I've ever used is fabric with sticky stuff on one side that would never hold pressurised air.

bigoldboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all for the feedback, I imagined that it would be some super duper specific tape to make a spoked rim airtight so a tyre could be run ‘tubeless’.....

....or are you all using insulating tape or Gorilla tape instead of a standard rim tape?

.....perhaps I was not clear enough in my original question

cheers,

bigoldboy

bechdan | 5 years ago
0 likes

I tried gorrilla tape on one wheel and it didnt stick as well as electrical tape - thankfully it failed the night after a ride rather than during, might have just been bad luck but ive not had pvc tape fail on me before.

Ratfink replied to bechdan | 5 years ago
0 likes

bechdan wrote:

I tried gorrilla tape on one wheel and it didnt stick as well as electrical tape - thankfully it failed the night after a ride rather than during, might have just been bad luck but ive not had pvc tape fail on me before.

I have but Gorrila tape is holding strong.

Jimthebikeguy.com | 5 years ago
0 likes

25mm gorilla tape. End of.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

You can also use Duck/Gorilla tape. There are thinner rolls that work really well for bicycle rims, but you may want to use the standard size for motorbike wheels. The best thing about Duck Tape (or similar products) is that you can tear it accurately to the right size width for your needs - just start the rip with some scissors and you should be able to just rip it in a straight line.

bechdan | 5 years ago
1 like

personally I use black electrical tape, so PVC, its the right width and cheap so one £1 roll does about 4 layers on a 650b wheel easily. Ive used it up to 60psi although I dont see why it wouldnt go higher. What is the size of the spoke holes in a motorbike wheel? Ive no idea, although there may be a legal requirement for these if used on road - sorry cant be of any more help. 

Latest Comments