Home

Has anyone got suggestions for a winter frame for 25mm tyres and full mudguards for around £400? I have a Dolan Preffisio which is so dead and sluggish that it is no pleasure to ride. Now a third threaded insert has failed it is time to change it for something new.

14 comments

Duncann [1347 posts] 1 week ago
1 like
Welsh boy [534 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

I like the look of the Holdsworth (I used to have a Holdsworth Pro) but they don’t do it in my (small) size

Rose on a Rose [26 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Aprire Inverno seems well worth a look.
Aprire.cc

Joe Totale [56 posts] 1 week ago
1 like

There's the Planet X RT-58 which ticks all your boxes and seems obscenly cheap at £89.99:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/rt-58-alloy

Simon E [3332 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Kinesis?

0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Kinesis?

The T3 is on my short list

0 likes
Joe Totale wrote:

There's the Planet X RT-58 which ticks all your boxes and seems obscenly cheap at £89.99:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/road-bikes/rt-58-alloy

Thanks Joe, thats on my short list now.

Duncann [1347 posts] 1 week ago
1 like

Something secondhand? Even a complete donor bike. Of all the parts of a bike, the frame is one of the more durable, so being a few years old needn't be a problem.

1 like
Duncann wrote:

Something secondhand? Even a complete donor bike. Of all the parts of a bike, the frame is one of the more durable, so being a few years old needn't be a problem.

I have looked at second hand or buying a whole bike and stripping it down, what I really wanted was a Ribble 365. Looks like I am going down the Planet X route, I wish that they would do one of their old frames in a mudguard version. 

BehindTheBikesheds [2018 posts] 1 week ago
0 likes

Depends what you're looking for in the frame. You can but a new Reynolds 525 bike with eyeletted carbon forks/Sora 3500 groupset with guards fitted for £450. 

Not going to be light but certainly a robust and very cheap option.

1 like

I emailed Ribble and they confirmed that their frame with mudguard eyes are only suitable for 23mm tyres, Aprire haven’t got back to me with geometry details so I have gone for the Planet X option. Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Rose on a Rose [26 posts] 1 week ago
1 like

Nice one.

Let us know how it rides, would you? on-line reviews seem to be almost non-existent.

2 likes
Rose on a Rose wrote:

Nice one.

Let us know how it rides, would you? on-line reviews seem to be almost non-existent.

Will report back in a couple of weeks when I have built it and given it a few rides