Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Colnago AC-R vs C-RS

I have looked everywhere and cannot find a comparison or description of these two models. Is the C-RS just a rebranded and slightly redesigned version of the AC-R, or are there major differences to be considered? 

I'm looking to buy either a new C-RS Ultegra 8000 or a new-old-stock AC-R Ultergra 6800 and cannot for the life of me figure out the difference in frame so I can make a good value comparison. 

Any information would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

kev-s | 5 years ago
0 likes

Watch out for clearance when using larger tyres on Colnago's

Had a few C60's come back for upgrades/maintaince work and noticed when they are running larger tyres that there is very little clearance between the top of the tyre and the fork's arch

Stones were getting stuck to the tyre then get dragged through the forks arch scratching the paint and even taking out small slithers of alloy out of the inside of the brake caliper

Not sure how much vertical tyre clearnace the C-RS have but it worth checking to make sure your not going to cause any damage by stuff sticking to your tyres

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

28’s work just fine. It’s tight but they work. I am currently running Veloflex Vlaanderen tubulars on the HED stinger 4’s. Above picture shows 25 gator skins but to be honest I “feel” faster on the 25’s but the 28’s are so damn plush It’s like riding on pillows.

I purchased the bike with the shimano 105 groupset and wheelset and it was completely serviceable, rideable. However, I did have tucked away from a previous build the campy record groupset and a wheelset from a TT bike so the upgrade really didn’t cost me anything. However I will say I am a campy man for various reasons but I’m not a shimano basher it’s just a preference. And I know it’s not fair to compare the 105 to Record groupset but the biggest difference after the change was rolling resistance. With the 105 and in particular the wheelset it felt like I was dragging but once I slapped on the record groupset and the HEDs man o man I was off to the races. Instead of grinding I was spinning freely again.

On wheelsets, I put on a pair of HED Belgium tubulars from another bike and to be honest that wheelset felt quicker and more responsive than the aero stinger set pictured above.

as far as sizing, I’m 6’1, 185lbs and have a slender even build. I chose the 54 and with a 120mm stem it fits me just fine. I like a 56cm top tube no matter what. Bike shops always want to put me in larger 58,60,61 cm but I have found that I like a 56 with a longer stem. I want the bike under me not out in front like some barge.

The Ride. It’s in the name. Colnago CRS. Which stands for Colnago Real Smooth. This has to be one of the smoothest riding bikes I have ever ridden. It tracks straight, holds it line naturally, speed is good and just kinda floats down the road. It just goes. Doesn’t get upset over rough tarmac either. It’s just smooth. 

is it a fast hard stiff race machine? No.

is it a laggard? Hardly

how does it climb? No idea. I’m in south Florida. Where it’s hot, humid and flat.

is this Colnagos attempt to get me into their family by offering an entry level machine? Yes. I’m in. It’s my first and would I buy another one? Yes. 

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

A pic for you.

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

Huh?

I spent 30 minutes last night writing up a review on the CRS and it’s not here....wtf

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

Testing

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

Testing 1,2,3...

matthecc | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don't know enough about geometry to distinguish ride feel/type just by looking at the numbers. How would you guys think the slight difference will affect the ride between the two?

Thanks again!

Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have the C RS and if you want any info or a ride review on it...holla back

matthecc replied to Surfshack | 5 years ago
0 likes

Surfshack wrote:

I have the C RS and if you want any info or a ride review on it...holla back

I would love your opinion. What setup are you currently running? I'm considering stuffing 28s on the stock wheels and eventually making them my winter wheels with an upgraded set next spring. Anything you would have changed about your setup in hindsight?

Much appreciated! 

matthecc | 5 years ago
0 likes

Wow, thanks so much. That's exactly the comparison I was looking for.

Cheers!

kev-s | 5 years ago
3 likes

Had many many Colnago's over the years including  an A-CR as a commuter bike which used for a few months untill my C59 disc brake bike was ready for commuting duties (have a C60 for nice days)

The C-RS is just an updated version of the A-CR and has some of Colnago's newer features which have trickled down from the C60

The main differences between the A-CR and C-RS are as follows

A-CR has traditonal seat clamp, C-RS has intergrated

A-CR is designed around 23c tyres, C-RS designed around 25c tyres

Both have internal routing but the C-RS is better routed cosmeticlly and performance wise

A-CR uses the normal bottom bracket, C-RS uses a pressfit bottom bracket this allows for a bigger bottom bracket area and increases stiffness

Being a newer model the C-RS is probably a little stiffer too in other areas

If you can get a good deal on the A-CR then go for that but obvioulsy it will be worth less if you decide to sell in a couple of years compared to a C-RS

Also check out the seller captainmace on e-Bay this is Colnago's UK distro selling off old bikes shops dont want

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COLNAGO-C-RS-CARBON-BIKE-52S-RED-CRRW-EX-DEMO...

Latest Comments