Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike or gear upgrade

Hi, after some general advice/opinions on all of our favourite subject - new gear. I have a Colnago CLX 3 from 2013 with all original parts except for Vision Metron 40 wheels. It's a lovely bike to ride (in my humble opinion) and is a good fit for me. All in very good condition apart from the drivetrain which needs updating.

So my question is... do I upgrade the drivetrain, probably to Di2 (I know it's expensive  ~ £1100, but I realy want it) or do get a new bike. I don't really need a new road bike so spending probably £4k plus is a tough decission, but i don't wat to 'waste' money on new drivetrain parts if  the gains from a newer bike are worthwhile.

The other factor to consider is that I'm getting more and more in to triathlon - doing my second 70.3 in September and done a few tris now. So, thinking I might be better off upgrading my road steed and saving the additional money for a triathlon bike.

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

fenix | 5 years ago
1 like

Crazy decision.  You'll get no noticeable benefit for £1100.

For under a grand - you can buy this bike for your 70.3's.   The position on this will get you a faster time. https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikes/tt-and-triathlon-bikes/stealth

I've got one very similar and it is fast- it certainly has overtaken a few superbikes in races. 

Your electronic gears won't shave any time off your race, and now you've connections plus batteries to go wrong.  Cables aren't as sexy - but they are reliable. 

richjamesturner | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Decided to go new Di2 8050 groupset.  Will get my lbs to do me a new bike fit for tri so I can get the best position possible. If I decide to upgrade next year all I need is a new frame.

Nichola | 5 years ago
0 likes

You've said that you really want Di2, so go for that. It's less immediate outlay and you seem perfectly happy with your Colnago, so upgrade it now and maybe get an aero triathlon/road bike later on.

richjamesturner replied to Nichola | 5 years ago
0 likes

Nichola wrote:

You've said that you really want Di2, so go for that. It's less immediate outlay and you seem perfectly happy with your Colnago, so upgrade it now and maybe get an aero triathlon/road bike later on.

That's what I've decided - ordered groupset last night so got some fun new toys to play with this weekend.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Does the CLX3 have internal routing for the Di2 cables? If not it's going to look seriously ugly and you won't be able to take advantage of the latest generation of Di2 with synchro shift and so on. Have you considered SRAM eTap?

richjamesturner replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

Does the CLX3 have internal routing for the Di2 cables? If not it's going to look seriously ugly and you won't be able to take advantage of the latest generation of Di2 with synchro shift and so on. Have you considered SRAM eTap?

It does have internal routing, yes. In terms of brands, I was going to start a new topic on it but seeing as you asked... I would probably lean towards Di2 simply becasue I'm used to Ultegra BUT that doesn't by any means mean I'm unswayable. If people have reccomendations other than Di2 that aren't too much more expensive (or even better are cheaper!) or reccomened combinations then suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

kil0ran replied to richjamesturner | 5 years ago
0 likes

richjamesturner wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

It does have internal routing, yes. In terms of brands, I was going to start a new topic on it but seeing as you asked... I would probably lean towards Di2 simply becasue I'm used to Ultegra BUT that doesn't by any means mean I'm unswayable. If people have reccomendations other than Di2 that aren't too much more expensive (or even better are cheaper!) or reccomened combinations then suggestions will definitely be appreciated.

I ran Ultegra Di2 (6870) with 6770 shifters &105 cranks, cassettes, and brakes which trims a fair bit off the price, but not much off the performance. You're just adding a few hundred grams. 105 brakes are on a par with Ultegra and if you've gone Di2 then you've got no shift issues to worry about. You can run an 11-32 with the Ultegra Di2 long cage rear mech. 

Is it definitely Di2-compatible internal routing? If it's just set up to route mechanical cables internally it may not work with Di2.

I guess it depends on how proficient you are as a bike mechanic. I went with Di2 because I wasn't confident setting up a mechanical drivetrain but that's changed now and I've gone back to full mechanical groupsets (Tiagra/105 mix)

eTap is typically more expensive than Di2, particularly for you as it sounds like you're needing to replace your cranks and cassette. Campy (which every Colnago deserves) is even more expensive.

Probably your best bet is to buy used/NOS Ultegra 6870 Di2, or potentially buy a donor bike with that group and strip it. Di2-equipped bikes regularly go for around the £700 mark on eBay and you may find it's cheaper than buying the group s/h once you've sold the frame on.

0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

richjamesturner wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

I ran Ultegra Di2 (6870) with 6770 shifters &105 cranks, cassettes, and brakes which trims a fair bit off the price, but not much off the performance. You're just adding a few hundred grams. 105 brakes are on a par with Ultegra and if you've gone Di2 then you've got no shift issues to worry about. You can run an 11-32 with the Ultegra Di2 long cage rear mech. 

Is it definitely Di2-compatible internal routing? If it's just set up to route mechanical cables internally it may not work with Di2.

I guess it depends on how proficient you are as a bike mechanic. I went with Di2 because I wasn't confident setting up a mechanical drivetrain but that's changed now and I've gone back to full mechanical groupsets (Tiagra/105 mix)

eTap is typically more expensive than Di2, particularly for you as it sounds like you're needing to replace your cranks and cassette. Campy (which every Colnago deserves) is even more expensive.

Probably your best bet is to buy used/NOS Ultegra 6870 Di2, or potentially buy a donor bike with that group and strip it. Di2-equipped bikes regularly go for around the £700 mark on eBay and you may find it's cheaper than buying the group s/h once you've sold the frame on.

Yep, definitely compatible. It has little rubber plugs in the frame which need to be removed for it. You could buy it with Di2 back in 2013.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Colnago/CLX-30-Ultegra-Di2-Bike-SLOPING...

I'm not a bad mechanic - always done my own servicing, I'm just a bit bored of it and would rather ride/do other things these days. Any reason you went back to mechanical?

Thought about etap but it's quiate a bit more expensive. Yes, Campy would be nice but again very pricey. I know it's wrong on a Colnago but...

Wiggle have the 6870 groupset for £900, but from what I've read 8050 is a big step up isn't it?

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

richjamesturner replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

This is probably where I'm at. My hesitation is not knowing what I could be missing - are newer bikes that much better? Is it a waste to spend £1100 on a 2013 model? Maybe I should stick to Ultegra mechanical for the drivetrain upgrade for now, saving money for a new bike next year...

kil0ran replied to richjamesturner | 5 years ago
0 likes
richjamesturner wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

This is probably where I'm at. My hesitation is not knowing what I could be missing - are newer bikes that much better? Is it a waste to spend £1100 on a 2013 model? Maybe I should stick to Ultegra mechanical for the drivetrain upgrade for now, saving money for a new bike next year...

If the bike is comfortable and has all the features you need, keep it and upgrade the drivetrain. Swapping frames is a risky business, even with the same basic geometry you risk ending up with something uncomfortable.

0 likes

kil0ran wrote:
richjamesturner wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

If the bike is comfortable and has all the features you need, keep it and upgrade the drivetrain. Swapping frames is a risky business, even with the same basic geometry you risk ending up with something uncomfortable.

Yep, fair comment. Only thing I can't add is tyres wider than 25mm as the frame is too tight. Other than that I find it v comfortable.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

what 'gains' do you think you will get from either spending £1100 or £4k whether another road bike or a tri bike? how much difference can you gain on a tri bike over a road bike, the former gets you less/lower spec for same money.

How do you know the newer bike will handle better than the Colnago which was raved about for it's handling properties?

richjamesturner replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

what 'gains' do you think you will get from either spending £1100 or £4k whether another road bike or a tri bike? how much difference can you gain on a tri bike over a road bike, the former gets you less/lower spec for same money.

How do you know the newer bike will handle better than the Colnago which was raved about for it's handling properties?

To be honest with the tri bike I'm only going off reccomendations from friends and the web. Better aero performance and better position to assist with the move from bike to run are the gains. It could save a few minutes over 90k but then I guess I'm only competing with myself so in a way it doens't matter. I can add tt bars which are a bit of a faff in terms of adjusting the bike but it's not the end of the world.

Groupset wise I need to deal with it so it's just a question of how. I could go cheap but I really fancy Di2 so seems like an obvious opportunity. My only hesitation is spending money on a relatively old bike - I don't really know what gains can be made from a new one, that's my question.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to richjamesturner | 5 years ago
0 likes

richjamesturner wrote:

To be honest with the tri bike I'm only going off reccomendations from friends and the web. Better aero performance and better position to assist with the move from bike to run are the gains. It could save a few minutes over 90k but then I guess I'm only competing with myself so in a way it doens't matter. I can add tt bars which are a bit of a faff in terms of adjusting the bike but it's not the end of the world.

Groupset wise I need to deal with it so it's just a question of how. I could go cheap but I really fancy Di2 so seems like an obvious opportunity. My only hesitation is spending money on a relatively old bike - I don't really know what gains can be made from a new one, that's my question.

You say better aero performance but you simply don't know if that is going to be true or not, just on the basis of someone saying (incl manufacturers) that is so. It might be a couple of % advantage for the frame/bars but that is a couple of % of only 10% that is the frame drag, (the rest being body and wheels/components). Even Brownlee (not sure which one) states that you might save 20 seconds over 25 miles but that is a top quality aero frame over a standard road bike with no mods to the road bike. on this page 2 of 2 it shows that the gain from shoe covers could be 30 seconds over a 25mile course, an aero frame could save you just 17 seconds. https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/buying-time-which-aero-equipment...

Given that most people say a tri frame is less comfortable, more rigid, weaker handling wise over a road bike any aero gains you might get in watts terms for the frame you could easily be losing out fatigue wise over a long ride and/or in terms of handling losses on any given course where a road bike might well be advantageous/save you time. 

If you think you can get the position on the bike you have with added tri bars then I don't see that the frame being 4/5 years old is in any way going to set you back or that you'd lose much if anything over a mid range aero specific bike (£4k doesn't buy you a top end bike these days) that you have no idea on how that might compare handling wise in all/any conditions.

Upgrade the components by all means but personally I don't think the potential gains in aero over other factors based on the frame alone is worth it, it might work as a placebo but according to those at the very top end it will only save you 35-40seconds (over 56miles), maybe.

richjamesturner replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

richjamesturner wrote:

You say better aero performance but you simply don't know if that is going to be true or not, just on the basis of someone saying (incl manufacturers) that is so. It might be a couple of % advantage for the frame/bars but that is a couple of % of only 10% that is the frame drag, (the rest being body and wheels/components). Even Brownlee (not sure which one) states that you might save 20 seconds over 25 miles but that is a top quality aero frame over a standard road bike with no mods to the road bike. on this page 2 of 2 it shows that the gain from shoe covers could be 30 seconds over a 25mile course, an aero frame could save you just 17 seconds. https://www.active.com/cycling/articles/buying-time-which-aero-equipment...

Given that most people say a tri frame is less comfortable, more rigid, weaker handling wise over a road bike any aero gains you might get in watts terms for the frame you could easily be losing out fatigue wise over a long ride and/or in terms of handling losses on any given course where a road bike might well be advantageous/save you time. 

If you think you can get the position on the bike you have with added tri bars then I don't see that the frame being 4/5 years old is in any way going to set you back or that you'd lose much if anything over a mid range aero specific bike (£4k doesn't buy you a top end bike these days) that you have no idea on how that might compare handling wise in all/any conditions.

Upgrade the components by all means but personally I don't think the potential gains in aero over other factors based on the frame alone is worth it, it might work as a placebo but according to those at the very top end it will only save you 35-40seconds (over 56miles), maybe.

Interesting comparison chart, not seen that before. The main thing friends have been pushing is the benefit when you transition from bike to run - I have no personal experience of this so it is definitely a gamble. Brownlees use Scott Foils I think - so not TTs.

I think I'm swaying towards Di2 upgrade on my road bike and a bike fit to get me the best possible aero position when I race. I do ok at the moment with a self adjusted TT bar position, but my LBS are really good so I'm sure they can make it more efficient and powerful. It's a little more faff switching from road set-up to triathlon, but it's a lot cheaper than buying another bike and I know I'm comfortable on my bike having ridden thousands of miles on it over the last few years. Thanks for the advice.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
1 like

Buy the upgrade. Then if you are not happy buy a shiny new frameset and move the groupset over. Keep the old frame or sell it to making a dent in the di2 outlay.

richjamesturner replied to AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

SpikeBike wrote:

Buy the upgrade. Then if you are not happy buy a shiny new frameset and move the groupset over. Keep the old frame or sell it to making a dent in the di2 outlay.

Definitely an option, though does it not cost quite a bit more to buy a frameset and groupset separately?

hoffbrandm | 5 years ago
0 likes

In my opinion - I quite like the idea of a bike that can be used for multiple purposes.

I've got a ti bike, with relxed geometry, but I use it for long weekend rides commuting, and I have tt bars on it for fun.

maybe buy an aero bike that can do your triathlon stuff at the same time?

richjamesturner replied to hoffbrandm | 5 years ago
0 likes

hoffbrandm wrote:

In my opinion - I quite like the idea of a bike that can be used for multiple purposes.

I've got a ti bike, with relxed geometry, but I use it for long weekend rides commuting, and I have tt bars on it for fun.

maybe buy an aero bike that can do your triathlon stuff at the same time?

An aero bike has definitely crossed my mind, possibly a Canyon Aeroad. The only thing I'm cautious about is getting a bike that is a "Jack of all trades, master of none."

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
2 likes

Why not a new road bike, a new tri bike and while you are at it, how about replacing that old drivechain on your old bike so you will have a good winter bike too?

My favourite quote from Pink Floyd, "Life is a short warm moment and death is a long cold rest".

richjamesturner replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

Why not a new road bike, a new tri bike and while you are at it, how about replacing that old drivechain on your old bike so you will have a good winter bike too?

My favourite quote from Pink Floyd, "Life is a short warm moment and death is a long cold rest".

While this would seem the ideal outcome, I think I would probably lose the wife over it. It's a tough call but all things considered, I should probably hold back a touch!

Latest Comments