Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sunrace shifters

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying my first racebike. I have a fairly good option, a ridley pegasus with almost all shimano 105's (exept front crank = tiagra). But because the bike was not used for a long time the shifters were stuck due to dried fat, now the bikeshop has put in Sunrace shifters instead of shimano tiagra's or 105's. \

What is your experience/ opinion on sunrace shifters (new 130 euro's). Should I consider them or is it safer to get a bike with full shimano 105's with quite a bit more wear?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Sunrace shifters look like the MicroShift units which I have tried.  The shifting was as good as Shimano but the braking wasn't quite as good (still perfectly acceptable but didnt feel as good).  Th reason I changed mine was because I couldnt get on with the little lever for up-shifts, they dug into my hand when riding on the brake hoods but that is personal and all down to hand size.  Performance wise, if the Sunrace is the same as the MicroShift then you will not have any problem with them.

Guus replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

The Sunrace shifters look like the MicroShift units which I have tried.  The shifting was as good as Shimano but the braking wasn't quite as good (still perfectly acceptable but didnt feel as good).  Th reason I changed mine was because I couldnt get on with the little lever for up-shifts, they dug into my hand when riding on the brake hoods but that is personal and all down to hand size.  Performance wise, if the Sunrace is the same as the MicroShift then you will not have any problem with them.

Thanks for the anwer, I will keep your comments in mind if I choose to take this bike for a testride. I read elsewhere that the travel of the downshift lever was quite big, but that I will have to try out myself

Drinfinity | 5 years ago
1 like

Translation of grease I guess. Or maybe it really was lubricated with lard?

simonmb | 5 years ago
1 like

Dried fat?

Guus replied to simonmb | 5 years ago
0 likes

simonmb wrote:

Dried fat?

Haha I mean grease, english is not my native language

Latest Comments