Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HRM Advice

Hi All, 

Quick appeal for some advice if you don't mind. Been using a Garmin HRM with Edge 500 for the last 3 years with no major issues (at least once I switched out the crappy Garmin soft strap for the Polar equivalent). However, between riding home from work on Friday and going out for a spin on Saturday it just stopped working altogether. 

Friday worked as normal, Saturday nothing, no rate shown on the Edge, no detection of the monitor (the Speed/Cadence sensot still picked up as normal, so I assume the problem is not with the Edge's ANT+ detector). 

Replaced the battery, cleaned everything, gave the strap a good wash, and still nothing. 

My only other possible test would be to fire up Zwift, and see if that can detect the HRM, but that still won't tell me which part is not working (other than the Edge of course). 

I imagine that, as the Edge doesn't detect it at all, the most likely problem is that the HRM has simply given up the ghost?

Any thoughts?

David

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

SteeveB | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you need to change HRM i would second the Wahoo Tickr. I switched to that from a garmin one. The fact that it does Bluetooth and Ant+ was great for me as i can pair it with my Garmin  and also my phone.

ChrisB200SX | 5 years ago
0 likes

Place an earbud wire near the sensor, you should hear a ticking sound in time with your heartbeat with the earbuds in. Not sure if you the earbuds need to be plugged in. This may well be the ECG strap signal rather than the transmitter? Can't remember how exactly ant+ transmits, PCM?

Jetmans Dad | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks for all your suggestions. 

Got the Garmin device working properly again, using the trick of forcing the HRM to reset itself by putting the battery in upside down for a few seconds and the flipping it the right way up. 

Now works fine again ... got to love electronics. 

sergius | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mine packed up when I changed the battery.  Tried all the reset stuff as per the web and had no joy.

watlina | 5 years ago
1 like

Could just be the strap. Mine played up and a new strap fixed it.  

Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap for Garmin, Wahoo or Polar £8.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WLMMG7S

PRSboy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Don't you need to pair it with the Edge again if you replace the battery?

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments