Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear wheel alignment advice please

I have a Pinnacle Arkose 2016 which I bought on the cycle to work scheme.  I have put about 6k on it and ride on and off road.  I have a set of Hunt 4 season wheels as well as the originals so I can have a set with road tyres and a set with off road tyres.  It was when I had the off road tyres on that I noticed that the rear wheel was out of alignment.  

I realigned the rear wheel and checked the quick release and it seemed tight enough, certainly as tight as I have had them on any other bike but the wheel still went out of alignment.

I’ve been to Evans twice with each set of wheels.  The first time they said that the quick release wasn’t tight enough and swapped it for a Shimano one (on my off road wheels).  The second time to kept the bike over the weekend and called Pinnacle, who apparently said it was down to the quick release drop out combination, and they had tried another quick release and it they couldn’t get it to move, they gave me back my old (Hunt) quick release. 

All seemed ok but I’ve just move back to my off road set of wheels and the Shimano quick release and I noticed that the wheel has move again can’t seem to turn the adjuster which now seems to be locked.      

The last bit of information is that the wheel moves out of alignment to the left (near side – non gear side – brake side) every time and seems to move by the same amount.

I’ve had bikes with vertical dropouts for years and never had any issues.  So my question is it normal that you need to tighten the quick release to a stage where you can barely lock them or do people think there may be something wrong with my vertical drop outs?  

Any advice or recommendations welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

41 comments

tugglesthegreat | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks so far for your comments guys. I had to do a comment for each picture but hopefully this gives a better picture.  My gut feeling was that it was the frame and it being too wide for the hub spacing.

Let me know what you think?

0 likes

Gear side drop out

0 likes

Drop outs

0 likes

Gear side:

0 likes

Near side where the wheel naturally wants to sit

0 likes

Well the quick release the gave me for the original wheels was either overly tight or too short, because it broke when I was leaving work. Picture attached. You can see the frame is wider than the 135 wheel spacing.

I've attached picture from either side of the bike showing how the wheel wants to sit before you move it to the centre, and puctures of the dropouts.

madcarew | 5 years ago
2 likes

How bad is the misalignment? if it's only a few mm it's not really important.

No, QR's shouldn't be done up really tight as it pre-loads the bearings. They should just be firm.  Doing them up tighter isn't going to resolve any problem except loose bearings.

dottigirl | 5 years ago
1 like

as above, but my gut feeling is, if it happens on both wheels, that the frame isn't right.

Time to be a little more insistent with Evans and get a replacement.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

QRs should be done up tight, but they shouldn't require extreme tension just to keep the wheel in place. It almost sounds like the wheel axle isn't fitting into the drop outs correctly or that there's a mis-match with the width of the axle and the bike frame. Some close up pics should give some more info.

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
0 likes

"The last bit of information is that the wheel moves out of alignment to the left (near side – non gear side – brake side) every time and seems to move by the same amount."

Without a QR  does the wheel remain centered or fall offline? Have you checked that your dropous are not worn which may cause misalignment? Pictures (dropouts, wheel alignment) are worth hundreds of words.

tugglesthegreat replied to VeloUSA | 5 years ago
0 likes

VeloUSA wrote:

Without a QR  does the wheel remain centered or fall offline? Have you checked that your dropous are not worn which may cause misalignment? Pictures (dropouts, wheel alignment) are worth hundreds of words.

Will get pics tonight of each of these and post.  I'll get back to you soon.

Pages

Latest Comments