Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cramp ! Is it my body telling me to ease off a bit !

On longer hilly rides i can start to get cramp after maybe 80/90 kms. The steeper the roads the worse it is. I have drinks with the electrolytes and eat enough stuff. Am i trying just a bit too hard and fatigueing my legs too much early on ? I am late 50's if that makes any difference.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Simontuck | 5 years ago
0 likes

I tend to crap only in summer when I'm sweating more. There are companies that can analyse your sweat and help you that way, or go to a doctor as suggested above. I used to use electrolyte drinks but found they gave me stomach ache on longer rides so started using just water, that's when the cramps started being an issue.
A friend put me onto saltsticks, other brands are available. Not only do they prevent the cramps but they seem to make the recovery a bit easier too. Main bonus is that they don't make my tummy hurt too!

mike the bike replied to Simontuck | 5 years ago
2 likes

Simontuck wrote:

I tend to crap only in summer when I'm sweating more.

I bet there's a medical name for this problem too.

Deeferdonk | 5 years ago
2 likes

Guranteed cure: Stop at the first pub you come to. Have a pint of bitter and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps. Repeat at every pub you pass until you get home. Works best if you plan your route to pass multiple pubs.

antigee replied to Deeferdonk | 5 years ago
0 likes

Deeferdonk wrote:

Guranteed cure: Stop at the first pub you come to. Have a pint of bitter and a packet of salt and vinegar crisps. Repeat at every pub you pass until you get home. Works best if you plan your route to pass multiple pubs.

I'd go with that though some days I ride too plain slow to stop for essential beer and get the distance covered  2   bad planning I guess

cramp: night cramps √          rides well within capababilty (mostly)  √ 

found hard to deal with really knocks confidence when sieze up only half way out on a ride that should be well OK  and been living in Aus' last five years so for me 28/30deg C  ish isn't hot but had cramp when just wouldn't expect it ...eat well when riding  etc

for me ..... another vote for pickle juice   -  the not pushing already doing ... might just be placebo but has worked for me and as a plus got rid of the horrible night cramps ... this article a good read:

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/06/pickle-juice-a-cure-for-muscle-cramps/

Jimmy Ray Will | 5 years ago
0 likes

Im with Madcarew on this. Cramp is primarily based on over-use, or over-stress as I call it. 

I used to get cramp a lot on the bike, however over the years of steadily increasing fitness, and also more and more refined bike fitting, this problem has all but gone.

Of the above, I'd say bike fitting has had the biggest effect. Reduce the overall load placed on a given muscle will reduce its susceptibility for cramping.

However, the knock on of this refinement is that when I reach the limit, the cramp can come, and when it comes it has the potential to hit a lot of muscle groups simultaneously. 

Thats not to say other factors won't contribute... as touched on, electrolyte imbalances can influence suspectability, however make no mistake, a muscle, or a group of muscles fitness for a given purpose is the largest contributing factor. 

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

I get night cramps without any obvious trigger. Back in the days of sheets and blankets I always used to untuck the bottom of the bed so I could stick my feet out and stretch when it inevitably hit. I think I'm just predisposed to it, I also get crawling twitches in my calves which aren't painful but look like they should be - it's called myokymia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myokymia

Sometimes the cramps are in response to a long day on my feet outside where I've probably got a little dehydrated but equally it can happen after a day sat around doing nothing. I just put up with it and know I can usually stretch it out and just feel a little sore next day. Thigh muscle cramps are the worst.

Because I'm aware of the risk I tend to stretch on the bike when I get the chance on descents - just drop my heel with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke for 30 seconds or so. No idea if it helps. I also favour spinning a lower gear wherever there's a choice but that's more take pressure of my knees.

hawkinspeter replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

I get night cramps without any obvious trigger. Back in the days of sheets and blankets I always used to untuck the bottom of the bed so I could stick my feet out and stretch when it inevitably hit. I think I'm just predisposed to it, I also get crawling twitches in my calves which aren't painful but look like they should be - it's called myokymia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myokymia

I get that too. I didn't know it had a name.

Markus | 5 years ago
0 likes

You might want to get off the bike and do some stetching and such before you get to the point where you usually get cramps. Not too hard, the point is to reduce tension.
It might work or make it worse.... worth a try, though.

Simon E | 5 years ago
2 likes

"the idea that muscle cramps are caused by dehydration and electrolyte depletion has a long history but very little evidence behind it."

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20802164/a-cure-for-muscle...

Also by Alex - http://sweatscience.com/cramping-in-ironman-triathlons-not-dehydration-o...

hawkinspeter replied to Simon E | 5 years ago
2 likes

Simon E wrote:

"the idea that muscle cramps are caused by dehydration and electrolyte depletion has a long history but very little evidence behind it."

Also by Alex - http://sweatscience.com/cramping-in-ironman-triathlons-not-dehydration-o...

Both of those articles mention pickle juice as a cure and link it to the acetic acid triggering TRP receptors in your mouth, throat and stomach. Wasabi would work on those receptors as well, so just take a hit of wasabi every few miles.

check12 replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Simon E wrote:

Both of those articles mention pickle juice as a cure and link it to the acetic acid triggering TRP receptors in your mouth, throat and stomach. Wasabi would work on those receptors as well, so just take a hit of wasabi every few miles.

lemon juice

ginger

cayene pepper

cinamon

salt

mix to a paste

add a splash of water

swill round mouth and swallow, not after eating any dairy or 20-30 mins after. 

Put in little tub or some such and take when you get cramps. 

joeegg | 5 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough,i had a banana when the cramp was at its most severe.I still had around 35kms of the ride left and the cramp eased but never went away. My gearing is ok as i'm a softie with a 32 cassette. Virtually all my riding is in Teesdale/ Weardale,so no shortage of hills.

madcarew | 5 years ago
3 likes

Yes. It's your body saying "This is hard work". All the research says that cramp is entirely neurological. There are no drinks or foods you can eat that will correct an electroyte balance or anything to make a difference. I believe tramadol can help.

You can think of cramp as a kind of overuse syndrome. At a certain point of fatigue (or other neurological stress) your muscles start sending back a message "I can't do this at this level any more". and so you generally have to ease off.

You can improve the situation (indeed, possibly even fix it) with training. As you say, on steeper hills you get cramp, when your muscles are working really hard. Doing steep hills multiple times in shorter training rides will help, as will sprinting multiple times in a  shorter ride. Doing back to back rides of 60 - 80 k may also help. Really it's your body saying "This is my limit at the minute" so you do normal training that will extend that limit. Also, because it's neurological it can literally be corrected by your brain to a large degree, so being relaxed and not getting concerned about it will help!!

Welsh boy replied to madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

madcarew wrote:

You can think of cramp as a kind of overuse syndrome.

Really? Have you got a link to that research please? I would like to see how overuse causes cramp while laying in bed.

hawkinspeter replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
1 like

Welsh boy wrote:

madcarew wrote:

Really? Have you got a link to that research please? I would like to see how overuse causes cramp while laying in bed.

After a quick internetting, I couldn't find anything definitive.

This article gives a brief explanation, but doesn't address the night-time cramp issue: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-causes-leg-cramps/

I used to get a lot of cramps a while after cycling (e.g. nighttime cramps) and they were mainly in calves or feet. They seem to be related to how tired my legs are afterwards and very rarely happened when I was actually cycling.

What works for me is stretching the related muscle when a cramp hits - typically straighten your leg and try to pull your foot upwards so your  toes are pointing up towards your knee. This usually stops the cramp immediately, though it can return if I don't hold the stretch until the muscles fully relax.

I've just seen that pickle juice can help reduce cramps, so you could try taking a few glugs of that as you cycle: https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-...

madcarew replied to Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:

madcarew wrote:

Cramp is neurological in origin. During exercise it's a repeated stress (overuse) issue. Laying in bed it can literally be yr mind (neurological syztem) fkng with you.

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
0 likes

"I have drinks with the electrolytes and eat enough stuff."

I had the same issue years ago where I retained potassium but released more sodium the further I rode. So, you may be depleting one or more electrolytes - sodium, potassium, chloride and co2 - or may be imbalanced from medications/supplements you take. A doctor can order an electolyte panel to see where you're at. You can then determine if additional electrolye(s) need to be added to your ride drinks/food beforehand.

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike | 5 years ago
2 likes

Old cyclists' folklore says eating bananas before, and during, exercise fights off the dreaded cramp. Just might be worth a shot.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Have you got the correct gearing?

If you aren't spinning the gears enough you'll cramp much easier.

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

Calves or thighs? I find I'm the same - about 50 miles is my limit. Mine tends to come on when I stop at junctions, particularly calf muscles when I stretch to dab down (I tend not to drop off the saddle). Less likely to get it on the ride itself. I've always suffered with it, I get night cramps in calves (at the back and also down the outside of the calf muscle). It can also be triggered by posture - e.g the hard edge of a chair can set it off in my thighs. I drink plenty of water on long rides (1 litre an hour) but I don't see any correlation between heat and onset. For me I just need to stretch it out and it tends to be a little sore next day, but usually a ride sorts it out.

I would say if you're eating and drinking it's perhaps down to posture on the bike, or your cadence. Higher cadence/lower gear might help.

Latest Comments