Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Wheels

Hey Team,

Just after a bit of advice about some new wheels. I’ve just about worn through the braking surface on the stock rims that came with my bike and bows the time to upgrade. I live in a wet and windy area with terrible roads so looking for bulletproof aluminum rims. Two options that I can get for a great price are the Fulcrum Racing 5 and Campagnolo Zonda. 

My main question is what are the main differences between the hubs/bearings?

Also happy to take advice on any other comparable wheels. 

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Tjuice | 5 years ago
0 likes

You're not going to go wrong with either, being as they're from the same manufacturer and both regularly get great reviews from those that own them.

I have been riding Racing 5 for years.  They came on my race bike, but eventually I put them on my winter bike when I upgraded to deep carbons for my race bike. 

I do far more miles each year on the Racing 5s than I do on any other wheel and they have been faultless - still completely true, yet pretty light.  I did have to replace bearings in one wheel - too much riding in foul weather without ever servicing them - but that was a cheap and easy fix.

I would have no hesitation buying Fulcrums again in the future, and hence by extension, would be equally happy buying the Zondas

mike the bike | 5 years ago
2 likes

I too am a great fan of cup-and-cone bearings; there is no finer way to spend a Sunday morning than fettling them in the garage.  However, to be fair, I must say my Fulcrum Racing 5s, complete with their cartridges, have performed faultlessly on my everyday bike for over five years, without any maintenance of any kind.  They have even coped with a little touring, laden up with rack and panniers.  That's what I call value.

And don't forget who owns Fulcrum, it's Campag. 

IanEdward | 5 years ago
1 like

Agree with much of what bike.owner says about the Zonda hubs, I got Racing 3s for that reason (i.e. I wanted Zondas but also to run Shimano on the bike, useful what a change of stickers lets you do!).

That said, if you're a rim killer, would it not be worth considering Record Hubs handbuilt on to relatively decent rims (I hear DT R460 are a good choice for winter trainers as relatively cheap but decent sidewalls etc.). That what you have a great wheel but can replace the rims relatively easily in future. Don't know how the Aussie pricing works out but in Scotland I think handbuilt records only worked out slightly more expensive that the Racing 3s...

I would have done this but have the luxury of a winter bike with super cheap wheels that does the bulk of my wet and gritty miles...

Oogy wawa | 5 years ago
0 likes

Awesome. Thanks for that. 

Should of mentioned that I can get the Fulcrum racing 5 for $220au and the Zonda for $340au. So it seems to me that the extra $120/£70 is worth the investment. 

Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

They are both made by Campagnolo.

I have believed that Racing 3s are Zonda equivalents with 5s being inferior.

LastBoyScout | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Zondas are a great wheel and I am led to believe that Zondas, with an upgrade to ceramic bearings (USB or even CULT) are the best wheels that Campag don't make.

Mathemagician | 5 years ago
0 likes

Much as Zonda are the better wheels, no question...Racing 5's are currently on offer at CRC for £179.99...in my opinion Zonda's aren't nearly twice the price better...having said that, if you've got the budget for the pricier wheels, might as well get them.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fulcrum-racing-5-lg-road-wheelset-201...

Latest Comments