Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choice of 3 bikes. Which one?

I'm looking at 3 bikes with similar price points, just looking for opinions on what people think is best choice at this budget? The dearer ones have the advantage of interest free but is Ultegra that much better?

Giant Propel Advanced 1 Road Bike green/black (2018) with ultegra - £1,359 (with discount code)

Planet X EC-130-E aero road bike with SRAM Force 11 -  £1520 (interest free)

Ribble Aero 883 with Shimano 105 -  £1599 (interest free)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Giant and the Planet X bike both got 5 star ratings while the Ripple got 4 1/2.  Since the Giant and the Planet X both come with better groupsets than the Ripple than I would lean towards those two since all 3 cost nearly the same.  Looks wise...well crap all CF bikes have basically the same boring looks!  So you choose if looks is your only criteria. 

The Giant leans more towards a racing bike so of the three it will have the 2nd firmest ride, something you may want to think about if your not racing and comfort is more your thing.

However according to reviews the Ripple is more harsh riding than the Giant, that frame stiffness will mean if you are racing and you need a bike to hammer up mountain grades on this may be the steed for you.

The Planet X was UK's bike of the year last year, so that says something about what people think of it.  The reason it won bike of the year was because it was one of the most aerodynamic (if that really means anything) bikes reviewed for the bike of the year, but it was also the most comfortable riding bike for being a racing oriented bike.

Not sure about resale value of either the Planet X or the Ribble, the Ribble I know will probably be the lowest, but Planet X is the odd one out for me, but I think since Planet X is not a true brand the resale value may suffer due to it.  So if resale value with racing ambitions is important for you than the Giant is the way to go, if comfort is the most important than the Planet X, if having a rocket ship between your legs is more important then the Ribble is the one to get.

Test riding?  I don't know, I use to test ride before I bought, but my last bike was a mail order Lynskey titanium job and I never got to test ride it and I'm completely happy with it.  So as long as you get the right size all the other aspects to fit can usually be done by yourself or take it to a pro fitter and have them to it and you'll be fine.

tillency | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have Ribble Aero 883 with Shimano 105 and I think it's very good.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

Get the Giant Propel - they go like stink. Even the bottom of the range 105 version is mega rapid.

Rutledge88 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

if you don’t mind me asking, is the discount code on the giant publicly available or a personal one?

Thanks

joe 

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Buy the one you REALLY want. It will make you happier.

froze | 5 years ago
2 likes

If you can't buy a bike without going into debt you shouldn't be spending so much on one.  I recommend you find another bike that you can pay cash for.  Bikes aren't like cars, if you crash the bike you're going to be making payments on a bike you no longer can ride, but even IF they did offer crash protection I still recommend buyng a bike, or anything else in life other than a home, using nothing but cash.  If you don't have the money WAIT and save the money.

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

No brainer: Giant. And then upgrade the wheels when you're ready. Might take a look myself, but have 4 bikes already....

Chris Hayes | 5 years ago
0 likes

No brainer: Giant. And then upgrade the wheels when you're ready. Might take a look myself, but have 4 bikes already....

philhubbard | 5 years ago
0 likes

Go with the Propel, lifetime warranty on the frame and excellent back up. Planet X customer service is normally terrible

Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

I know blokes in our club with both the rivet rider and the Propel advanced.  They love them all.

A good friend of mine has a Propel for triathlons and thinks it's fab. 

None of this or anyone else's opinion can help - Velo USA is right you need to test ride.  Giant can I believe organise a test ride day via your local dealer - no obligation and Planet X could do the same or similar. Ash Cycles and Pauls always have good deals on Giants.

If you only rode one and loved it then get it and ride it in good health.

Also anecdotally for what it's worth one of my best mates has a Ribble and doesn't have anything good to say about it.  It's not an 883 though which does look nice...

OrangeRidley | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don't know anything about the giant other than they are very common and I love my TCR, but  I know the team Ribble mechanic/rider who also works in a bike shop (NRG Cycles, cervelo dealer) and he hates the planet X when they rode them in 2016 as px Northside. Hard to maintain, badly made, bad handling and awful customer service apparently. He does however quite like his 883 (although it's etap and zipp 404s!). Apparently it's much better to ride; and he's ridden many cervelos and focused and argons etc.

SARQ | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses and I've decided against the Ribble as the wheels are rubbish and would need to buy new ones straight away.
Can't ride any of them, but I've never test ridden a bike in my life.
Giant is looking favourable althought the PX design and weight looks decent... and as I've cracked my Cube frame I can't wait till September for a discount. The only interest free is direct on the Giant website. I can get extra discount through a dealer and they have reduced it which is why it's much cheaper. Still undecided!!

Htc | 5 years ago
0 likes

The Giant is excellent value and you can often get 20% + interest free credit later in August/September.. 

ChrisB200SX | 5 years ago
0 likes

Good options. Probably the aerobikes I would have narrowed down to if I could make room for n+1.

Giant looks best by miles for value.

2017 Giant propel advanced 2 2017 model is £1049 at Rutland cycling, only in stock in XS size though.

Worth internet shopping around though, basically the same bike, (not sure about wheels but I'd change them anyway for something more aero). Frame etc is the same and 105 is pretty much the same as Ultegra, just a little heavier and better colour  3

If the prices were the same and the giant was 105, I'd go for the giant. Ultegra is a weight bonus, even if I would prefer 105 and some change.

Nichola | 5 years ago
0 likes

What factors of a bike will you consider? price? appearance or features? I think you can choose your favorite bike according to these three factors.  On the other hand, personally, I like the design of Planet X EC-130-E aero road bike with SRAM Force 11.smiley  smiley

For me, I  will pay attention to the design of the bike, just like I choose my first elevator shoes on Chamaripa shoe, I need to look taller due to my short height.indecision when I  am Cycling the bike, I need to wear the high heel high-top boots. 

If you decided to buy the bike, hope you can share the pictures.laughlaugh

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Giant offer an interest free option also.

Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2016 Propel with Ultegra, I love it.  Haven't ridden the other two, so won't comment on them but mine offered the most bang for buck when I was buying (I did a lot of research as well as test rides) plus to me it looked the best and came in the nicest colour, so I still miss riding it when I haven't been on it for a few days.  

I did a 27 hour Everesting on it not long after buying it so comfort isn't really an issue, for me at least.  I've ridden it in the mountains in Italy, and to work throughout the UK winter, notching up nearly 20000 kms on it.  I should really buy a proper winter bike, the clearances are a bit tight to cope with the muck and crap that come off our roads, but given the time I spend riding it I don't begrudge having to replace parts now and then.

Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
2 likes

Here's our review of the slightly pricier Propel Advance Disc - if that helps, but tbh VeloUSA's advice is spot-on.

If riding all three isn't an option, then if that was my three bike shortlist I'd probably go for the Giant - they rarely make a bad bike and Ultegra is my favourite groupset.

VeloUSA | 5 years ago
4 likes

Go ride all three. Buy the one that makes you smile the most.

Latest Comments