Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin Touring directions alert issues

Hi there - I'm currently struggling with my Garmin Touring GPS - for some reason, it no longer prompts the directions and turnings of a GPS route via audio and on-screen. All I get is 'Head South' instructions on-screen or 'Head South-West' which is next to no good.

Previous to this, it was providing audio and on-screen route prompts as normal. I haven't changed any of the settings - does anyone know what the problem might be?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

HowardR | 5 years ago
1 like

Re "All I get is 'Head South' instructions on-screen or 'Head South-West'"

It sounds to me as if it might be stuck in 1980's ZX Spectrum RPG mode - possibly 'The Hobit'.

Try entering: 'Kill Thorin'

Lenny_2018 replied to HowardR | 5 years ago
0 likes

HowardR wrote:

It sounds to me as if it might be stuck in 1980's ZX Spectrum RPG mode - possibly 'The Hobit'.

Helpful

stomec replied to Lenny_2018 | 5 years ago
1 like

Lenny_2018 wrote:

HowardR wrote:

Helpful

Lenny sits down and starts singing about gold

HoarseMann | 5 years ago
0 likes

Use ridewithgps.com (there’s a free sign up option) to create a route and export the route as a .tcx. Drop that file in the NewFiles directory on the garmin and see if that works.

These 'head south' turn by turn notifications usually crop up when your route planning software has embedded notifications in the route file, rather than letting the garmin deal with it.

Lenny_2018 replied to HoarseMann | 5 years ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Use ridewithgps.com (there’s a free sign up option) to create a route and export the route as a .tcx. Drop that file in the NewFiles directory on the garmin and see if that works.

These 'head south' turn by turn notifications usually crop up when your route planning software has embedded notifications in the route file, rather than letting the garmin deal with it.

Thanks I'll give it a go...

kevvjj | 5 years ago
0 likes

does it do this for all routes you have put on the Garmin? 

Lenny_2018 replied to kevvjj | 5 years ago
0 likes

kevvjj wrote:

does it do this for all routes you have put on the Garmin? 

Hi there - yes all routes, it just states 'Go South' or vague compass type instruction rather than audio and visual turn-by-turn routing. 

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
1 like

Burn it with fire and buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I speak as a disgruntled former owner.

DoctorFish replied to StraelGuy | 5 years ago
1 like

StraelGuy wrote:

Burn it with fire and buy a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I speak as a disgruntled former owner.

Or the standard Wahoo Elemnt which is what I replaced my Touring with.  If this is the least of your problems with the Touring then you are lucky.

You could try a hard reset.  I did that to mine vertually every couple of weeks, but it didn't solve anything.

Latest Comments