Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone use 32c's on Open Sports?

Time to re-rim my commuter/tourer/winter trainer/CX bike ...

It currently has some alarmingly concave A119's running 32c commutery tyres, or 32c CX tyres ... they are getting pretty close to the point of no return ...

I was wondering if Open Sports would be wide and robust enough to go CX and lug loads, bump speed ramps for 12 months of the year etc, while being a tinsy bit lighter and zippier than a straight replacement A119, the even more beefy A319 ... I've never been for a 6 month tour across unmade roads in the hindu kush, nor am I likely to in the timeframe these rims are looking at surviving.

Mavic say yay to 32cs on sports - but I've had rollover on Mavic MTB rims with tyres on the limit of the official OK - any experiance?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

we only just got started  1

anyway, in answer to your question the Open Sport weighs in at about 470g so it's not massively lightweight but you'll save 240g over a pair of 319s. If your riding tends towards the quick then it's a saving worth having.

The 319 is a lot wider though – 4mm according to Mavic's site – and that will affect the profile of a 32mm tyre, certainly making it less susceptible to rolling over. HED have recently widened their race rims claiming that it gives a better profile and contact patch, they seem to think that a rim as wide as the tyre is the best case scenario...

Interestingly Mavic only recommend a 28c as maximum for other rims of the same width, for example the CXP23, suggesting that it's not all that happy with the arrangement.

I don't have any direct experience of running 32s on an Open Sport rim though, so this is mostly a numbers game  1

anotherdeadhero replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

Awesome cheers dave. I'm getting the impression that I'll get by on sports. Which is good news, considering they are £10 cheaper per rim than the 319s, I don't really want the 119s with their nasty groove again.

VecchioJo replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

I've been running a variety of 32-35mm 'cross tyres on Open Pros for as long as i can remember without a single problem

anotherdeadhero replied to VecchioJo | 15 years ago
0 likes
VecchioJo wrote:

I've been running a variety of 32-35mm 'cross tyres on Open Pros for as long as i can remember without a single problem

Schweet, just the kinda real world experiance I was after.

anotherdeadhero | 15 years ago
0 likes

Sometimes the sheer traffic on this forum astounds me  3

Latest Comments