Anyone use 32c's on Open Sports?

by anotherdeadhero   February 23, 2009  

Time to re-rim my commuter/tourer/winter trainer/CX bike ...

It currently has some alarmingly concave A119's running 32c commutery tyres, or 32c CX tyres ... they are getting pretty close to the point of no return ...

I was wondering if Open Sports would be wide and robust enough to go CX and lug loads, bump speed ramps for 12 months of the year etc, while being a tinsy bit lighter and zippier than a straight replacement A119, the even more beefy A319 ... I've never been for a 6 month tour across unmade roads in the hindu kush, nor am I likely to in the timeframe these rims are looking at surviving.

Mavic say yay to 32cs on sports - but I've had rollover on Mavic MTB rims with tyres on the limit of the official OK - any experiance?

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Sometimes the sheer traffic on this forum astounds me Wink

posted by anotherdeadhero [17 posts]
23rd February 2009 - 23:23

like this
Like (0)

we only just got started Smile

anyway, in answer to your question the Open Sport weighs in at about 470g so it's not massively lightweight but you'll save 240g over a pair of 319s. If your riding tends towards the quick then it's a saving worth having.

The 319 is a lot wider though – 4mm according to Mavic's site – and that will affect the profile of a 32mm tyre, certainly making it less susceptible to rolling over. HED have recently widened their race rims claiming that it gives a better profile and contact patch, they seem to think that a rim as wide as the tyre is the best case scenario...

Interestingly Mavic only recommend a 28c as maximum for other rims of the same width, for example the CXP23, suggesting that it's not all that happy with the arrangement.

I don't have any direct experience of running 32s on an Open Sport rim though, so this is mostly a numbers game Smile

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7323 posts]
23rd February 2009 - 23:45

like this
Like (0)

Awesome cheers dave. I'm getting the impression that I'll get by on sports. Which is good news, considering they are £10 cheaper per rim than the 319s, I don't really want the 119s with their nasty groove again.

24th February 2009 - 0:04

like this
Like (0)

I've been running a variety of 32-35mm 'cross tyres on Open Pros for as long as i can remember without a single problem

posted by VecchioJo [750 posts]
24th February 2009 - 0:04

like this
Like (0)

VecchioJo wrote:
I've been running a variety of 32-35mm 'cross tyres on Open Pros for as long as i can remember without a single problem

Schweet, just the kinda real world experiance I was after.

24th February 2009 - 10:36

like this
Like (0)