Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

To the gent who suffered a near miss on "the Devil's Road"

I apologise and I also apologise for using the horn. But I'm sure you will have seen that while I was in the process of overtaking, the cunt in the Vauxhall overtook me. If I hadn't moved, the consequences would have been much worse. It put the shits up me and the only consolation was that you couldn't see what was coming until it had passed. Not much of a consolation. But there really are some shit drivers in that part of the world.

I stopped to apologise in person on the Edgeworth road, but you headed on towards Darwen and I lost sight of you.

Again, I apologise.

To everyone else, speculate away.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm split between appreciating your apology or hoping that you feature on a "close pass of the day" video (just for the laughs, not out of any particular malice).

Everybody makes mistakes, but the important part is whether you choose to learn from them or not.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
3 likes

Nice gesture, It's really crappy when through no fault of your own you have to make a split second decision to avoid the bigger harm and in doing so know you are still going to put an increased risk on the vulnerable which they may well not realise/understand as to why you did what you did.

As much as we can drive/ride defensively there will always be scenarios we simply cannot extricate ourselves from because of someone elses reckless and simply extraordinary actions you really cannot account for.

However it also highlights how the psychology of humans work and is reflected in the tech for automated motor vehicles, particularly that reported about mercedes.

The decision by Mercedes and the programmers was put those outside the vehicle at risk of harm to avoid harm of the vehicle occupants, for most people they would do pretty much this every single time. Drive/steer away from another motorvehicle/solid object even if that may well end up harming someone who had no part in the incident at all. Very much the timing is so fast it's self preservation that takes over, and yet by doing so we increase the risk of other innocent parties, it's such a very difficult thing for humans. However for machines theere should be no such dilemma's when it would be aware of the vulnerable in close proximity.

Latest Comments