Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shifter compatibility ST-5500/ST-2400

Hei Hei to you all,

I am currently on the 8 speed cassette with pretty old Shimano 105 Flightdeck ST-5500 shifters. Now the hoods are now quite sticky and downright ugly because of the decay. Since I can't find the replacement for only the hoods, I have found a Shimano Claris ST-2400 that is also 8 speed and has an outside cable routing. 

So, the question is whether I can replace my old Shimano 105 shifters with the much newer (and better looking) Claris shifters. Is there anything else to look for or the 8 speed compatibility is enough?

Cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

RR | 5 years ago
0 likes

Something doesn't make sense here... the ST-5500 shifters are 9 speed.

New Shimano shifters will work as long as they are designed for the same number of sprockets on the cassette.

DofeDome replied to RR | 5 years ago
0 likes

RR wrote:

Something doesn't make sense here... the ST-5500 shifters are 9 speed.

New Shimano shifters will work as long as they are designed for the same number of sprockets on the cassette.

To be honest, when I bought the used bike from a local bike shop owner it came with 8 speed cassette so I assumed they were 8 speed shifters. However, when I looked on the Freehub marking, - the Shimano Tiagra FH-4400 which is labeled as 9 speed! So I am running 8 speed cassette on a 9 speed shifters and freehub. But, it seems that my rear derailleur is 8 speed, it is Shimano RD-1056. 

So it seems that the components are fitted for that derailleur. Since those are (apart from the frame) the most expensive components on the bike, it would be perhaps better to aim at the new bike altogether  7

In the meantime, I got the answer from the @ShimanoROAD on Tw saying that the switch is possible. 

Thanks for the 9 speed revelation though.

aegisdesign | 5 years ago
0 likes

The other possibility if you're sticking with 8 speed is Microshift 8 speed shifters. They're common on lower end bikes and Decathlon use them on their Triban 500SE. They're often 3x8 though from Decathlon's bikes if you find a second hand set on ebay.

http://www.microshift.com.tw/en/product-category/road/r8/

You can get replacement hoods direct from Microshift for $9 inc postage. Just did that recently and they arrived in 5 days and came with a second set free. The previous hoods were looking a bit grotty after 3 years and about 10,000km.

Personally, if you're replacing shifters which are the expensive bit, I'd replace them with 9 speed SORA 3000 and a new chain and cassette. The derailleurs and chainset will cope with 9 speed fine.

DofeDome replied to aegisdesign | 5 years ago
0 likes

aegisdesign wrote:

The other possibility if you're sticking with 8 speed is Microshift 8 speed shifters. They're common on lower end bikes and Decathlon use them on their Triban 500SE. They're often 3x8 though from Decathlon's bikes if you find a second hand set on ebay.

http://www.microshift.com.tw/en/product-category/road/r8/

You can get replacement hoods direct from Microshift for $9 inc postage. Just did that recently and they arrived in 5 days and came with a second set free. The previous hoods were looking a bit grotty after 3 years and about 10,000km.

Personally, if you're replacing shifters which are the expensive bit, I'd replace them with 9 speed SORA 3000 and a new chain and cassette. The derailleurs and chainset will cope with 9 speed fine.

Well, that's not a bad idea for going 9speed. Will think this through. Thanks

kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

This is the oracle on Shimano compatibility, although it might not answer your question because that version of Claris wasn't around with 5500

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/archive

Might be able to find the specs of the 5500 shifters and compare with later 2400 specs? All you're really interested in is how much cable the shifter pulls per click.

DofeDome replied to kil0ran | 5 years ago
0 likes

kil0ran wrote:

This is the oracle on Shimano compatibility, although it might not answer your question because that version of Claris wasn't around with 5500

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/archive

Might be able to find the specs of the 5500 shifters and compare with later 2400 specs? All you're really interested in is how much cable the shifter pulls per click.

Wow, that's a great resource. I did manage to find ST-5510 from the earliest year but not my model. Will go on looking. Thanks

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Have you had a search on the SJS Cycles website? They stock that sort of thing.

DofeDome replied to StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Have you had a search on the SJS Cycles website? They stock that sort of thing.

Did that now, unfortunately, no luck. It has some parts for the st-5500 but not the hoods. Thanks for the advice though.

Cheers

Latest Comments