Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Search facility?

Am I going mad, or am I just thick?

I cannot for the life of me see any 'Search' facility on the header/bar...anywhere...

Can some kind soul take pity on me and put me out of my misery.....

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

As a workaround, you can use a seach like "site:road.cc bamboo" (to search road.cc for "bamboo") in most/all search engines. I just tested it in DuckDuckGo, Bing and Google.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

Tony - I know you guys must have a lot happening on the site at the moment, but would there be any chance of some resource to spare for the search facility while that's going on ? (...or any other time) 

Tony Farrelly replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

Tony - I know you guys must have a lot happening on the site at the moment, but would there be any chance of some resource to spare for the search facility while that's going on ? (...or any other time) 

Yeah, if it is that shit we should look at it - it is on the list, but then as you can imagine it's quite a long list, once we've got the new version of the mobile site working the way we - and you - would want it we've got a long list of dev tasks to work through to make road.cc work better and off.road too. Genuinely my experience of in-site search is pretty good, but equally I may have the advantage of searching for some very specific things using very specific terms.

The _Kaner | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks @Canyon48 and @fukawitribe...

I was sure there used to be a 'looking glass' search facility...shows how much I didn't notice it was gone...

Tony Farrelly replied to The _Kaner | 5 years ago
0 likes

The _Kaner wrote:

I was sure there used to be a 'looking glass' search facility...shows how much I didn't notice it was gone...

You're totally right there was a 'looking glass' search facility - we had to turn it off yesterday while we fiddled with the back end… it was supposed to be going back on again yesterday evening. 

Disagree on how good it was/is - I use it a fair bit, and I've always been pleasantly surprised at how good it is. The old, old one was rubbish mind.

Canyon48 replied to Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
2 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

The _Kaner wrote:

we had to turn it off yesterday while we fiddled with the back end…

I didn't think that's what this site was for  3

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

There used to be one on the right-hand side of the blue banner - but it appears to have gorn now. It's not really much of a loss as that one (from the last site rewrite) was basically useless - Canyon48s suggestion is probably the closest way of getting anything slightly sane.

The road.cc search gave some matches in an apparently random order, missed many, and there was no way to filter, sort or otherwise do anything with the results. Multi-word queries were the search equivalent of a random number generation. I've honestly never come across a worse search facility, even back in the usenet / gopher days.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I don't believe there is one, annoyingly.

Best workaround is using google and searching via site "site:road.cc [ search query text etc etc]"

Latest Comments