Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

noise from bottom bracket?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdc102nwO8V08vP23

any ideas where this clunking noise could be from?

only while rotaing the crank...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Podc | 5 years ago
1 like

I had an odd drivetrain noise I couldn't trace. Replaced the BB, chainset, chain and jockey wheels. It was the freehub! Good luck tracking it down!

steve67 | 5 years ago
0 likes

thanks for the advice, i will take a look..

henryb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Just checking - does the noise remain the same if you take the chain off the front chainrings and rotate the cranks and chainring with no chain?

Judge dreadful | 5 years ago
0 likes

The valves clattering against the rims make a noise like that as well, a piece of gaffer tape over the valves and stuck down on the rims sorts it.

gthornton101 | 5 years ago
0 likes

It does sound like something is amiss on the backend - RD alignment/indexing would be first guess.  Kinda sounds like chain is almost trying to change gear by that sound?

Other similar-ish noises that I've had have been solved by:

Tighten chainring bolts (or even remove, re-grease threads, replace to torque)

Pedal bolts (remove, clean, re-grease threads)

Remove BB, clean and re-grease

Replace worn jockey wheels (or tighten existing).

Malaconotus | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like your chain is misrouted through the derailleur cage.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you have the tools I would try removing the cassette and turning the hub by hand. It kind of sounds like the freehub is slipping and giving a thud at the same point in the rotation.

Just an idea

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
1 like

Pull crankset, check BB for loose/worn/binding bearings. And, lube your pawls. They sound like angry bees.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
1 like

God that's irritating! That freehub don't help either.
The noise vs. the pressure you turn the crank makes me think its not the bottom bracket. Can you feel a vibration on the crank arm when you turn?

Open the rear brake caliper. Change into the big ring at the back and small at the front. Still there?

steve67 replied to AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes
SpikeBike wrote:

God that's irritating! That freehub don't help either.
The noise vs. the pressure you turn the crank makes me think its not the bottom bracket. Can you feel a vibration on the crank arm when you turn?

Open the rear brake caliper. Change into the big ring at the back and small at the front. Still there?

Hi. Yep the free wheel is loud. ... it's always has been from new......
Tried big ring small ring up and down the cassette.... still there.

No vibration in the crank..

Steve

Latest Comments