Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike

Hi all.

I'm currently looking for a lightweight and faster racing bike.

Currently intent in the B'twin Ultra 900 from Decathlon at £799. I took it for a test drive and it felt really responsive and agile. It seemed to fit me like a glove. 

I'm not completely decided though. There seem to be quite a few bikes with Aluminium frame and carbon forks out there. Maybe I can get a good value second hand bike of a higher standard/marque. The Shimano 105 set up on the Ultra seems good buit the wheels seem a little heavy and let the overall weight of the back sit about 500g at least above some of the competitors.

Do I get the best marque for my cash or a bike that felt right from the get-go?

Thoughts and recommendations please.

Craig.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

ChasP | 5 years ago
0 likes

If the fit is that good and that's your budget, buy it.

If you want less weight and better wheels get the 920 (same fit, better components/wheels) or look for a good one 2nd hand.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Absolutely 100% buy it. The cycling world is about ten foot deep with expensive bikes that folk regretted buying.

the only bike you will ever live is the one that feels right.

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, as a beginner it helps to have a new bike where everything's new and setup properly, less chance of anything going wrong. The fact that it fits perfectly is a bonus.

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for the Ultra 900 especially given that you've already tested it and liked it. 

For £800 I'd be very surprised if you could get a bike that's much lighter or with wheels lighter than Mavic Aksiums. That's unless you're willing to go second hand. 

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Get the one that you fancy the most.

Oh, and yes you'll normally find a much better bargain second-hand. A lot of people buy expensive bikes in a rush-of-blood-to-the-head moment, then sell them for half what they paid a year later. Checkout BikeRadar forums, LFGSS and Ebay.

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
1 like

Wanting a nicer newer bike with higher grade equipment is something we all desire. Bear in mind it will NOT make you significantly faster.  Only you and your physical ability will ultimately decide the performance.  Get a bike that feels great and is comfy, dont buy a brand because it looks good if its at all uncomfortable 

Latest Comments