Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Drivers' Attitudes to Cyclists

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

andyp | 5 years ago
5 likes

'Is this some sort of contest to prove how idiotic... you are?'

If so, you're in the lead by a fair distance.

HowardR | 5 years ago
3 likes

If you’re looking for corruption in the CSJ your time could be better sent investigating how it is that so few people can afford access to justice and how it is that so much of the system gets out-sourced to the dodgiest/shoddiest bidder.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/31/paul-mcdowell-janine-probation-alleged-conflict-of-interest (as a start)

You could consider how it's come to pass that the UK wastes so much of your money in pointlessly banging up so many of its citizens (more per head than anywhere else in western Europe) in some of the grimmest (least efficient in terms of rehabilitation) prisons in Northern Europe.

That said - where it comes to driving offences I'd generally say that public execution is the way to go.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
5 likes

Last figures I saw had average corruption allegations at around 33/1000 personnel - not nothing, but no-one has claimed otherwise - but not what i'd recognise as "institutionally corrupt" and that's raw allegations. Oh and please don't wave the 'son' flag at me either, apart from anything else I strongly doubt it's temporally possible.

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 5 years ago
3 likes

Is this some sort of contest to prove how idiotic and naive you are?   Let's see, around 4,000-5,000 allegations of corruption per year, no more than half of which are ever investigated... report from HM Inspectorate of Constabulary confirming that half of officers believe that complaints of corruption are swept under the carpet (but what do *they* know, eh?  Bloody coppers, need to get some perspective!)... habitual lying ... cronyism ... planting of evidence..  IPCC (another crowd of pinko snowflakes who 'need some perspective') confirms a doubling of allegations ... 

Piss off and get back to me when your stones have dropped, son.

notfastenough | 5 years ago
1 like

The thesis seems to make a lot of sense, particularly this part:

"Roadways are highly congested (and thus contested), publicly funded space, and both space and funding are a finite and limited resource. This results in the perception and reality of roadway competition as a zero-sum game between roadway users (Aldred, 2012). It may be that this “realistic” competition is a stand-in for social competition; that is, the roadway is a battle ground for social domination, rather than just access to physical space."

There are regular comments (here, elsewhere, both online and off) in the vein of "why would that person drive like a complete cockwomble when they wouldn't speak to people like that", and the author has identified this as effectively a class war.  Never mind that many bikes cost more than the car which might be used to run the rider off the road.

Ok, thinking time: Taking this into account, if you could say something (a message which could fit onto, say, a cycling jersey) to such drivers, what would it be?  Aggression would only escalate the negativity, as would submission.  

Legs_Eleven_Wor... | 5 years ago
1 like

Indeed, the police is institutionally corrupt, and must be disbanded and reformed. 

fukawitribe replied to Legs_Eleven_Worcester | 5 years ago
10 likes

Legs_Eleven_Worcester wrote:

Indeed, the police is institutionally corrupt, and must be disbanded and reformed. 

Couple of quick points

(a) "the police are" not "the police is" - one of those collective nouns, like "people", that go with plural verbs.

(b) Bollocks - don't be so naïve.

Legs_Eleven_Wor... replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
2 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

Couple of quick points

(a) "the police are" not "the police is" - one of those collective nouns, like "people", that go with plural verbs.

1.  Grow up.

2.  Grow up.

madcarew replied to Legs_Eleven_Worcester | 5 years ago
6 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

Couple of quick points

1.  Grow up.

2.  Grow up.

Be more useful if you grew a sense of perspective

Yorkshire wallet replied to Legs_Eleven_Worcester | 5 years ago
8 likes

I'm guessing you're still in education?

Legs_Eleven_Wor... replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

I'm guessing you're still in education?

My aching ribs....

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
4 likes

Got driven at on Sunday by what I thought was a drunk driver, either he was drunk or he deliberately aimed at me, either way I took his photograph as he got out of his car to approach me, he got a visit from the police. I actually dialled 999 as if he was drunk he could end up killing someone, his actions in any case warranted a visit by 50.

I'll probably not hear anything else, lack of witness and all that BS. 

Government and police are complicit/part of the problem, their actions are unlawful/harmful to society by not doing enough to curb motorists unlawful actions.

CygnusX1 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Depressing and predictable.

Latest Comments