Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What does 4130 feel like to ride?

Still tempted to build something around a Planet X, Holdsworth frame in 4130, for use as an allrounder. Only really using one bike at the moment with a carbon frame, how much different will it feel to ride if I mate it 28mm tyres as well?

I've got a DMR mtb frame in 4130 that I used to have built up but that was all about energy transfer into jumps and you could tell the difference from aluminium straight away. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got a Reynolds 520 single speed which is apparently the same stuff as 4130, I've also got 28mm tyres on it. 

It feels great, I hardly feel the bumps compared to my other carbon and alu bikes. It doesn't have the same acceleration or snappiness as my carbon bike but once it gets going it's a good bike. 

alotronic | 5 years ago
0 likes

As with BtBS I have several bikes in various materials - my fixie is 4130 and it is solid, comfortable and I don't fret about keeping it away from sharp objects like my carbon bikes. I suspect the weight of those holdworths will give you a shock after the CF, but I see you have a steel MTB so maybe not  1

You probably won't be stomping up the hills either, but then if you going to be going off smooth tarmac at all then the grin you will have on your face from that will offset everything youu have 'lost' against the CF bike. Having two, just chose the best one for the day.

In short it's hard to see how you could go wrong really; if you like it, brilliant, ride it for a couple of years then get something custom, and if you haye it you have invested close to nothing and will be able to sell the frame on quickly. 

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

it'll feel springy/slack by comparison to the CF frame, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I have 8 bikes, 1xTi, 2xCF, 2x Alu+CF stays, 1x 50s steel 531, 1x Columbus late 90s and 1xVitus triple butted from early 90s, I don't have any for sale, I like them all.

If the frame is well built and not a silly price then you can't go too far wrong with 4130

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
2 likes

I own 4 bikes, 3 steel and 1 carbon fibre. The carbon fibre one is up for sale...

CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
3 likes

Get a frame which can take 45 mm tyres. Fit 40 mm G Ones from Schwalbe and enjoy plush, fast ride

Latest Comments