Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pump recommendation

Need to replace my pump for carrying on the bike. Model that has just died is a Topeak road morph from a few
years ago. So what is out there that will get my tyres hard afetr inevitable puncture?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

Much as I love my Topeak Micro Mini AL - which by the way, fits perfectly in the pump pocket of Rapha jerseys and jackets - I do have a bit of a desire for one of the Lezyne Alloy Drive pumps. They have a little extension pipe like a proper pump should have, so you pump properly without having to hold it onto the valve.

I saw them at the Lezyne stand in the Core bike show earlier this year, and they are really nicely made, sort of like the Crank Bros pump, but this one actually pumps bike tyres up...

//www.wiggle.co.uk/images/lezyne-ALLOYDRIVE-med.jpg)

dave atkinson replied to DaSy | 15 years ago
0 likes

and jolly good it is too. in fact i've tested two of them in different sizes, and they're both good. The pipe is clever cause it fits both standard valve sizes just by turning it around, and then screws into the body for storage on a larger thread at one end. very nice. Perhaps we'll get round to testing it on these pages soon...

VecchioJo replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

oddly enough i wrote one of them down on my "Things I'd Like To Test" list just last night

a friend has one and we were quite impressed at how quickly he got it up, especially at his age

anotherdeadhero | 15 years ago
0 likes

If you were happy with the Topeak, I have a Topeak Micro Rocket like this:

//www.bike-x-perts.com/images/micro_rocket_alu.jpg)

Its tiny, it works, it is light, it actually gets you up past 100 psi, and it has rattled around in the bottom of my pannier for a year, and still works. Cracking little pump. I found a few wraps of PVC tape on the handle aided grip.

Blackhound | 15 years ago
0 likes

A few years ago Cycling + were well pleased with it and I bought it on that recomendation. It does get pressure up fairly well and well constructed but not lasted as well as I thought. I use a track pump at home so not had loads of use really. Also a bit long as well and sticks a long way out of the rear pocket. This time of year it gets filthy on the frame so looking for other possible options. Will have a look at HPX as well and add to shopping list.

dave atkinson replied to Blackhound | 15 years ago
0 likes

the best thing about the zefal is that it smells like pumps used to smell when you were ten. oh, and it's a great pump too. i prefer the blackburn though. heresy, i know.

Tony Farrelly replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

I've had a Blackburn's Airstik for the last five or so years and it's fantastic - I take it on big rides when it will just about fit into a 25L rucksack, for shorter stuff I've got an even older and ultra cheapo plastic mini pump - which I think was a magazine covermount about 15 years ago. I've never mounted it on the bike for a variety of reasons, one of which is that on a commuting steed – I'd be forever having to take it off when parked up outside Sainsburys or the off licence etc, where as a mini pump just lives in my bag out of sight and out of mind for most of the time.

If you don't want to go the frame fit route then probably the best combination is a track pump for home use and all your everyday pumping needs and a mini for on ride emergencies - my criteria there would be that it's not too mini, is easy to hold, and isn't one of those with a stupid pumping action where you move the barrel up and down rather than the 'handle'… not too bothered about spending too much on the grounds that if it is only for emergency use only hopefully wear and tear will be minimal… and/or when the worst happens I'll be out on a ride with Jo

leguape | 15 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Zefal HPX, have one for each of my bikes. So much easier to get a tyre up and running again without giving yourself RSI like you do with a minipump.

dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

because i can think of few pumps that are more effective out on the road. blackburn's frame fit pump is really good too, and it comes with a lifetime warranty so if it does break they'll give you a new one...

VecchioJo replied to dave atkinson | 15 years ago
0 likes

Zefal HPX

had one on my road bikes since i forget when, made out of proper metal so they last forever, and the pump most likely to be handed to a ride companion whose own pump is wheezing into a tube with the smug line "Would you like to borrow a proper pump?"

Latest Comments