Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Saddle sore

Hi everyone.

Hopefully looking for a little help with a saddle sore issue. I dont see this as serious at all but thought I'd ask for opinions.

The sore bit i have is a tiny pimple type one. I am still trying to build my miles and frequency up slowly but i always get this pimple in exactly the same place.

Will this just go away with time in the saddle? i dont have any issues at all anywhere else, only this one tiny spot where sit bone connects with saddle. On my right side.

Bib has been changed to Pearl Izumi so i have the smooth top sheet chamois, which i love. so comfy.

I've also finally found a saddle i love as well. Fizik Antares.

this pimple has been there before with other saddles and bibs so isnt down to new equipment.

i am keeping as clean and dry as possible and treating with an antiseptic cream overnight. this all stops it getting inflammed and painful.

i just want my right side to be like my left side. clear with no pimple.

thnks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

guinom8 | 5 years ago
0 likes

If it is persistent and never goes away, it could also be:

* Right cleat has been worn out more than left cleat. (Check cleats more often or use a cleat cover when walking with your cycling shoes)

*Right leg could be a teeny tiny shorther than left leg (this could be cause by hip misalignment).

* Hip misalignment  (Hip misalignment is associated with hyper-extension and tension of the muscles in the abdomen and lower back. Problems with these muscles can manifest as sore or acute lower back pain. Knee: Hip misalignment may cause you to shift too much weight to one side of your body.)

* Carrying more power in your right leg or pedalling stronger in your right leg.

Obs: You could be surprised what a 1mm or even 0.5mm difference could make in a long ride.

There are numerous reasons for saddle soreness, however I think the above are generally assosciated with your problem.

I hope it helps.

Popeye77 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm just gonna go with it and see what happens. If i'm honest, it doesnt actually hurt at all, when it appeared i just thought, 'here we go again'.....

Last time i had it, i rode 4 days consecutively and that ended up causing redness and pain. This time, i intend to build up more slowly, have more days off in between and work up to doing multiple days riding in a row.

so far, so good. i have also got a small baby powder in my bag (for commuting) which i put on before each ride! This is definitely helping and the pimple has actually reduced over the last few days. on a weekend, i've now done two 23 milers with no issue at all.

Like anything I suppose, dont do excessive riding when your just starting out or returning from a long break. Follow all the guidance that works for you and you 'should' be fine.....

Happy riding  1

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

This is one of those great "you just have to find what works for you". Unbelievably there's more ways to deal with a saddle sore than to clean a chain (Strange bt true).

All the advice about keeping the area clean and using cream etc sure does no harm. If it is an in grown hair it could help to get someone to look at it (though it may just grow back, unless you go to a laser hair removal place). It could just as easily be an irritable sweat gland, or some other issue. I have ridden for many years and occasionally get a saddle sore. I simply ignore them as much as I can, squeeze it if it gets annoyingly big, and just generally soldier on. There are many many pros who struggle with saddle sores almost continuously, some who are never affected. I had one that used to appear after particularly long rides and would be about the size of a bean on my inner groin. It was really painful and I would ride a bit side saddle to avoid irritating it. No amount of creams or squeezing would help, until one day after a 200 mile ride, deeply offended by it I skewered it with a needle, a large amount of clear fluid came out (meaning it was probably a blocked sweat gland) and I have never been troubled by it since. I'm sure there will be many people warning of dire consequences (some may even have medical qualifications) if you squeeze it, but in my experience it has never led to a worsening of it, and often lets me continue riding. Just find out what works for you. 

Popeye77 | 5 years ago
0 likes

If I do all the appropriate treatment and keep my mileage steady without causing pain, will my body get used to it all and should the pimple eventually reduce and disappear???

i just dont like to have to have the chamois cream on all the time i go out on my bike  1

Mr Pennington replied to Popeye77 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Popeye77 wrote:

If I do all the appropriate treatment and keep my mileage steady without causing pain, will my body get used to it all and should the pimple eventually reduce and disappear???

i just dont like to have to have the chamois cream on all the time i go out on my bike  1

I am not a doctor. But I would stop riding until the "pimple" and irritation has disapeared. Continue riding with the "pimple" will only aggravate the area and possibly lead to further infection.

Chamois cream prevents chaffing and skin irritations. Use a good cream and only a small dollop. Too much and you will be slipping sliding causing skin irritation. List of good creams 

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/183686-9-best-chamois-creams

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
1 like

You can see a doctor or have your Mrs or GF look at the area with a magnifying glass. An ingrown hair comes to mind. Also clean area with isopropryl alcohol to kill any surface bacteria. Prior to riding apply a thin coat of chamois cream.

Latest Comments