Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 e-tube app?

Hi, Have got my first bike with di2, not been out on it yet due to waiting for a longer seat post but that's another story.

I've seen bad reviews about Shimano's e-tube app.  Just wondered what the thoughts on it are? Is it just issues with updating the firmware, or is it rubbish in general?  Should I use it apart from updating the firmware?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

avanzato | 5 years ago
0 likes

Installed the app on the laptop today and connected to the bike.  Changed the 'hidden buttons' on the hoods to change gear on the rear cassette. Updated the firmware as well.  All seems fine.  Just need to ride it now! Thanks all.

maviczap | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got two bikes with Di2 and have the e-tube software on my pc, it's a doddle to use.

As I remember it, the firmware is in the chip in the battery, so it's only that which gets updated when you do update the firmware.

I haven't bothered changing any of the shifter settings, but it was helpful when I linked the shifters with one e-tube cable, and used the bar end charging/junction plug. Means you only have one etube cable from the bars to the down tube. System detected when I had the plug in the wrong port of the shifter.

Like Shimanos stuff it works very well and simply

avanzato | 5 years ago
0 likes

OK. So i'll connect the laptop rather than using the app.  Ta

Mr Pennington replied to avanzato | 5 years ago
0 likes

avanzato wrote:

OK. So i'll connect the laptop rather than using the app.  Ta

In order to see settings, make changes, or verify working order e-Tube Project must be engaged. If you haven't, I suggest you download and read the Help manual.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

I haven't used the app as I haven't got the bluetooth dongle yet, but I've used the Windows e-tube software a few times. I prefer to always flash new firmware as I think that newer is often better (despite plenty of counter-examples), but then I work with computers so am often upgrading firmwares as a matter of course.

The main advantage I found of updating the firmware was to enable synchro shifting. I haven't found any need for changing the gear settings once I put in my ratios and I've also left the lever controls as standard, but those are the other things you can play with.

avanzato | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks. Is it worth using the app to tweak the setup? Shifting etc?

Pilot Pete replied to avanzato | 5 years ago
0 likes

avanzato wrote:

Thanks. Is it worth using the app to tweak the setup? Shifting etc?

Depends what you mean as ‘worth’. If you want to change from your current setup then yes, if not then probably not! It’s not exactly rocket science, it’s a program for customising your di2 setup - you can either change shifting speeds, modes or program the buttons, that’s about it. Why not just have a play with it and see what it can do, it would be quicker than someone typing it all out on here!

PP

Mr Pennington | 5 years ago
0 likes

Shimano e-Tube Project works as it should and does its job well. Like @sergius, I don't update firmware unless needed, and in my case it's been never. The reason being is Shimano; Shimano doesn't offer backdated firmware versions. If some reason you don't like a new version, to bad you're stuck with it as you can't go back to an earlier one. Do your charging from an USB adapter not from a PC connected to the internet.

sergius | 5 years ago
1 like

I've a couple of Di2 bikes, and have never bothered updating firmware on either nor using the app.  With firmware, I take the view that if it's not broken...

Latest Comments