Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman adv 8.9

Hi all.

It's that time again, im looking at the cycle2work scheme and I'm torn between the new Boardman range, specifically their new "adventure" bike -
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/catalog/product/view/id/74459/s/boardman-a...

Or the specialized diverge e5 sport 2018 -
https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized-diverge-e5-sport-2018-adventure-...

Both £1000

Or even drop down to the entry spesh, the red on it looks gorgeous for £799...

It seems like there aren't any reviews on the new Boardman range yet and not much rider feedback. Anyone got one?

What do you guys think to the Boardman adv 8.9 spec?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Psyzen | 5 years ago
0 likes

Does the QR rather than through axle concern anyone with this bike? Someone I know claimed to have all sorts of issues with brake alignment due to the combination of Hyrdo disks and quick release rather than through axles.

pwake replied to Psyzen | 5 years ago
0 likes

Psyzen wrote:

Does the QR rather than through axle concern anyone with this bike? Someone I know claimed to have all sorts of issues with brake alignment due to the combination of Hyrdo disks and quick release rather than through axles.

I've been using that type of setup on my DiamondBack Haanjo gravel bike for about four years and never had an issue.

philhubbard replied to Psyzen | 5 years ago
0 likes

Psyzen wrote:

Most mountain bikes have been using this on the rear for years and its not an issue. It's only an issue for people that are constantly removing wheels as it may sit differently in drop out. Just loosen the brake caliper bolts pull the lever a few times then tighten it back up

CXR94Di2 replied to Psyzen | 5 years ago
1 like
Psyzen wrote:

No not a bit, I have 3 bikes with QR, all have been fine for road riding and cyclo-cross racing. There is no substantial improvement with thru axle. QR have been on cycles for decades. If you lock them properly-perfect

StraelGuy replied to CXR94Di2 | 5 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

No not a bit, I have 3 bikes with QR, all have been fine for road riding and cyclo-cross racing. There is no substantial improvement with thru axle. QR have been on cycles for decades. If you lock them properly-perfect

I 100% agree. I have QR's on my Strael which has hydro brakes and I have no issues whatsoever. Wheels always line up perfectly and the wheels are a piece of cakes to get in and out.

Russell Orgazoid | 5 years ago
2 likes

Diverge has it on looks but Boardman has it on spec.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
1 like

Out of those two, Boardman, no question.

Mechanical discs are reasonably rubbish, I've used various Tektro and Avid mechanical discs however the only mechanical discs I found that offered any decent performance were TRP Spyres - but the callipers cost twice as much as RS405 hydro callipers (obviously the RS505 levers cost a lot more than their mechanical counterparts).

paulrattew | 5 years ago
2 likes

I like the diverge a lot but personally I wouldn't touch mechanical disc brakes with a barge pole. Mechanical discs are just not in the same league as hydraulic discs and I'd much rather have good quality rim brakes. 

Given the intended usage I think Sora gearing will be just fine (it's pretty sweetnowadays anyway). 

Is it possible to test ride both?

mart85 | 5 years ago
0 likes

My concerns are that orange paint job first on the Boardman, I'd need to see it in person. I do love the way the new diverge looks. 

No thru axle on the Boardman also Vs on the diverge.

BUT Sora or Claris  (entey level diverge) on the diverge and mech discs are putting me off.

Bit of background, this will mainly be used for commuting but also weekend bridle paths and light off road tacks with my son.

Latest Comments