Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

rip off by cycle republic

Hi just had an e-mail from these guys asking me to fill in a survey and for my time they said they would take my details at the end and enter me in to the draw for £200. Surprise surprise filled in the survey didn't get to give any details no notefication that I had been entered in the draw etc etc

Are firms allowed to do this? Is this not illegal under trades description act? Anybody else done the survey?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

Jetmans Dad | 5 years ago
0 likes

If you completed the survey by clicking a link in the email, you shouldn't need to enter your details separately. They clearly have your details having emailed you the request, and the links in these emails are usually personalised so when you click it, the site knows who you are and can register you automatically for the draw. 

We don't have a Cycle Republic, so they don't have my details, but I believe they are part of Halfords and the requests I get from them for this sort of thing are dealt with like this. 

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes

A prize raffle that doesn't include a skill test (eg 'find the ball') is a lottery and should be regulated by the Lotteries Commissions. Complain to them?

wycombewheeler replied to matthewn5 | 5 years ago
0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

A prize raffle that doesn't include a skill test (eg 'find the ball') is a lottery and should be regulated by the Lotteries Commissions. Complain to them?

Doesn't this only apply when you pay to enter?

Also as the second reply says, they could have your details from the link.

Latest Comments