Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Imitation is...

... a win for both parties?

Aldi seem to have pretty brazenly copied Rapha's baselayer.

https://cpofficial.com/rapha-blasts-aldi-after-supermarket-create-simila...

Cheeky at best - but perhaps the two brands' markets are so far apart that Rapha doesn't loose any custom to Aldi and they both get free publicity?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

EddyBerckx | 5 years ago
0 likes

Torn vs Rapha?

You mean old, established brand rips off young upstart and shamelessly people defend them for it?

I bought torm stuff. In my opinion it's 60% as good at best but has zero sell on value unlike Rapha where you can normally get 50% back on eBay.

Simboid | 5 years ago
1 like

Pretty sure pink kit with Italian on *cough, Giro D'Italia* isn't Rapha's idea.

Not sure I can count the amount of firms cashing in with pink stuff right about now...

srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

Did Rapha not take Torm to court (or threaten to) when they started knocking out jerseys 90% as good as Rapha's for a third of the price? I'm reminded that the only company ever sued by Gibson for copying the Les Paul were Tokai - because their guitars were far better and cost a lot less.

Disclosure: I've got Rapha and Torm stuff in my wardrobe - and a Tokai in the guitar rack, though sadly(?) not a Gibson.

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

Surprised Rapha doesn’t take them to court.

Yorkshire wallet replied to Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
1 like

Fish_n_Chips wrote:

Surprised Rapha doesn’t take them to court.

Who's going to see it anyway?

The Gavalier | 5 years ago
1 like

The Aldi baselayer in question is a really bright pink, so quite easy to differentiate from the Rapha version. My local Aldi ran out of them by 1030 on Sunday. 

Dnnnnnn replied to The Gavalier | 5 years ago
5 likes

The Gavalier wrote:

The Aldi baselayer in question is a really bright pink, so quite easy to differentiate from the Rapha version. My local Aldi ran out of them by 1030 on Sunday. 

Just how many did you buy...? cool

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
1 like

And yet the LIDL jerseys I've bought (a long sleeve autumn jersey I've had for 10 years) are not only a great fit for us bigger chaps without billowing around the midriff they actually wear really well too. Had a pair of the first lot of MTB shoes and they lasted for ages and were a fantastic fit/great for walking in.

I don't have an Aldi too close but when I've made the journey to see if it might be worth a punt, their cycling stuff always looked a bit shit. I'm sure this effort will be absolutely superb though ...

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've actually bought one and it looks ok. I'll let you know when i use it.

Aldi cycling tops are piggin awful though...

ConcordeCX | 5 years ago
1 like

Terrible, isn't it? I wonder what Charles Loupot would have to say about it.

don simon fbpe | 5 years ago
0 likes

I wonder what Lionel would say.

Leviathan | 5 years ago
1 like

Perhaps they should get into merger talks like Asda and Sainsburys. There might be certain synergies.

Latest Comments