Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM crankset question

I have a second bike, a 2008 Orbea Orca Rd  I bought primarily as a Kicker companion. The bike is so beautiful however, I might like to take in on the road occasionally (everyone likes to have the prettiest girl at the dance once in awhile!). If I like it I know I might want to change out the 53/39 crankset for something a little more relaxed, via a eBay buy. So, the bike has a GXP bottom bracket, what cranks can i expect to fit this bike and function normally? Any version other than a Red, for example? The front deraiuller has a sliding bracket which should allow it to work with a compact or 52/36. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

DaSy | 5 years ago
0 likes

A GXP chain-set has an axle that is 24mm (the same as Shimano Hollowtech II) at the drive-side, but reduces to 22mm at the non-drive-side.

If you are changing the chain-set, you could choose any GXP compatible cranks, or put in a Hollowtech II bottom bracket and choose any Shimano 24mm compatible chain-set.

dalerb | 5 years ago
0 likes

I guessing a few of you have experience with these Kryslium SL "ssc" wheels this Orbea came with? Look pretty formidible. As in, you might still be buzzing 10 minute after a ride on chip seal tarmac. What's with those bladed spokes anyway? Sound like a turbine when you're  on a trainer. 

Rapha Nadal replied to dalerb | 5 years ago
0 likes

dalerb wrote:

I guessing a few of you have experience with these Kryslium SL "ssc" wheels this Orbea came with? Look pretty formidible. As in, you might still be buzzing 10 minute after a ride on chip seal tarmac. What's with those bladed spokes anyway? Sound like a turbine when you're  on a trainer. 

LOL

The Gavalier | 5 years ago
0 likes

I’ve heard this about the sram gxp bb ‘s but I’ve just done 3 years on one (easily 10000 miles)and it’s still fine. 

check12 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Any Gxp crank will do don’t get a bb30 sram crank and you’ll be fine. 

Gxp has axle in the drive side crank, bb30 has axle on the none drive side crank if your looking at pictures on eBay. 

Havent had any problems with my Gxp crank B.B. so I’m sure you won’t have a couple of sunny days a year. 

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I thought most SRAMs were a basic 'any crankset so long as it has a 30 mm axle' design? Mind you, I'm sure I read recently that there's another standard coming along the road that's 29.5 mm indecision.

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

They are a different size from other brackets, I said (or meant to say) that any SRAM crank will fit any SRAM bracket so you can put any SRAM unit in any SRAM bottom bracket.  The axel is a different diameter both ends hence the need for the converter if you use a Hope unit.  I find that in very bad weather I can get through 2 SRAM "sealed" brackets in a winter and in the good weather I get through one in a summer (and before anyone asks, yes they are fitted properly and I look after my kit, no power washing them).

dalerb | 5 years ago
0 likes

Wow! didn't know the BB was a problem. I've cycled 10's of thosands of miles and never even thought of a problem with a sealed BB. How long do they last?

I was under the impression the shaft was a different diameter on the GXP vs. other BB's, but no? Thanks for your reply. 

Welsh boy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Any of the SRAM cranks will fit, they all use the same bottom bracket. SRAM brackets don’t last very long so I have gone to Hope bottom brackets with their SRAM adaptor, expensive initially but have just about paid for themselves after a couple of years 

Latest Comments