Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Upgrade from Cube Peloton Race 2014

Hi all, 

I have had a Cube Peloton Race 2014 for a number of years now and am potentially looking at upgrading (budget c.£2.5k - £3.5k). I have been looking at the Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc 8.0 

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/2018/ultimate-cf-sl-disc-8-0....

Whilst also upgrading the rims to deep section hunt wheels (30mm / 50mm TBC)

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-wheels/products/hunt-50c...

My question i-> is the difference actually that noticable when riding? My current bike feels ok (albeit quite heavy) so just want to hear peoples experiences on upgrading from the £1000 mark to £3.5k (all in).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Grub | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've got a 2014 Peleton Race too, which is now my winter bike. I think it's a great bike and offered real value for money. It's since been joined by a Canyon Endurace Di2 (with some upgraded wheels), which has just come out of winter hibernation. I haven't got exact numbers to hand, but I reckon I can certainly tell the difference in terms of weight and general liveliness. I'm sure some of it is 'real' and some of it is 'imagined'.

Plus I reckon new toys always do a bit to help keep up the motivation and enjoyment 

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

You'll lose 1.4-1.5kgs on that upgrade with the new wheels. 

You'll notice differences in a number of ways..  1) braking.. disc may not be 'needed' but it sure is nice to be able to brake with on the hoods rather than on the drops. 2) You may not feel any better when you are go uphills but your times will be faster... 3) it's easier to hold speed on the flats with those 50mm wheels 4)  acceleration, you'll notice it's easier to catch peoples wheels out of corners and from standing starts.  

Of course this is all relative, the more you weight the less the 1.5kg's or the aero wheels will matter, being fair, it's all marginal anyway, better legs will win over better bikes always, however these differences are there, regardless of what any naysayer may come along and say, I've noticed all of them at some point or another. 

Plus you'll get that shiny new bike feeling, which is worth a couple of mph as well  1 Make sure you go tubeless as well, especially if you're on discs, it's more of a faff getting wheels in and out with through axles.

Latest Comments