Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SPD and SPD SL

I am sure that this will have been considered by many. I have M545 and M424 spds on my bikes and use Sidi Eagle shoes which have a stiff sole.
As I have an mtb and the road bike having the same type of pedals makes life easier as I only need one pair of shoes to ride either.
A couple of people have mentioned that if I went with SPD SL and road shoes I would notice a massive difference.
Having looked around at various sites and vids etc these all seem to suggest not and usually compare much smaller SPDs. Mine have quite large supportive cages around the pedals.
So has anyone done this and noticed a difference besides the aesthetics?
And the fact that MTB shoes seem much easier to stand up in...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

I use road pedals for long rides to avoid hot spots - larger surface area, same force but less pressure etc.

At the moment using spds mtb for everything: Road, CX and commuting.

Being lazy and having a favourite pair of shoes.

Spangly Shiny | 5 years ago
2 likes

I can recommend the new Speedplay Zeros with the yellow plastic cleat covers. They are so much easier to walk in than the alloy plate version (even with Keep On Kovers). An added bonus is that they also come supplied with 'Cleat Buddies' that fill the cleat cavity for when it's a but grotty underfoot.

davel | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fan of speedplay zeros, but the cleats are horrible to walk in. I had SLs for a while, years ago... Barely remember them. But compared to the riding buddies who've been using them when I'm on zeros, I'd say my duckwalk seems to have been the worst.

You can get cleat covers for walking in, though - supposed to be good.

fukawitribe replied to davel | 5 years ago
0 likes

davel wrote:

I'm a big fan of speedplay zeros, but the cleats are horrible to walk in. I had SLs for a while, years ago... Barely remember them. But compared to the riding buddies who've been using them when I'm on zeros, I'd say my duckwalk seems to have been the worst. You can get cleat covers for walking in, though - supposed to be good.

Aye, bare Speedplay cleats would be a nightmare to go around in, apart from also trashing the screw heads. I've found the Keep On Kovers are pretty decent to walk in - low-ish, reasonably grippy - and actually make clipping in even easier (they slant in towards the cleat centre and effectively make it a slightly wider bowel). Quite cheap, i've had this last set for about 3 years and there's bags of wear in them (obviously depends on how much walking you do though) - thoroughly recommended if you have Speedplays.

matthewn5 | 5 years ago
1 like

If you like spds and want cool shoes then the logical choice is Speedplay, isn't it? They're double sided and easy to clip in and out of, and you can walk in them better than SPD-SLs.

I do use SPDs for touring, social rides like the Dunwich Dynamo with lots of milling about, and so on.

Fish_n_Chips | 5 years ago
0 likes

Prefer touring pedals with SPD.

The wider cage has contact with mtb shoes to share the force and reduce pressure compared to XC spd’s.

I also have double sided wide platform spds on my road bike. Easy to clip in and less pressure.

Will use some Look road pedals soon.

Shades | 5 years ago
0 likes

I've always stuck with SPDs based on LBS advice years ago.  I've got some Rapha CX shoes (i think just rebadged Giros) which are nice and stiff.  Lots of great looking SPD touring shoes these days. Can't be done with clip-clopping around in SLs; in terms of any performance gains I reckon there are other things that would make a bigger difference.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

Terrible to say it but I nearly went to spd-sl because the choice of shoes were so cool. Then I came across these http://www.giro.com/eu_en/republic-reflective.html/
They work with 2-bolt and are stiff plus they look the bollox night or day  1

Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
1 like

Sorry tugglesthegreat I saw your post too late... 

Think I'm coming to the same conclusion.  Was out on a club ride yesterday and I was the only one in SPDs and the only one without a funny walk over the wooden decking at our cafe stop and the only one who clipped in straight away each time.   

tugglesthegreat replied to Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
3 likes

Johnnyvee wrote:

Think I'm coming to the same conclusion.  Was out on a club ride yesterday and I was the only one in SPDs and the only one without a funny walk over the wooden decking at our cafe stop and the only one who clipped in straight away each time.   

Great news.  You seem to be doing it right, don't worry about being different.

Shades replied to Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

Johnnyvee wrote:

You were probably able to unclip faster if you needed to in a hurry; safer?

tugglesthegreat | 5 years ago
0 likes

I opened a thread on the same topic a while back and there were loads of comments, but the consensus was that there is not that much difference.  If you need more stability and don't do any walking in the shoes go with the road version, else stick with the spds. 

I certainly wan't convinced that I was missing out and I don't have a funny walk. LOL

HLaB | 5 years ago
0 likes

Im a convert to SPD-SL but mainly because of fashion cheeky OK I was younger and fitter when I used SPD's and that might have rosied my picture of them but when I changed I can't recall any significant difference when I switched other than the SL's were less walkable.

Simon E | 5 years ago
0 likes

I use both systems - SPD for everything except racing TTs (and that's only because I borrowed a mate's road shoes and pedals and he wanted to sell them).

Some people prefer SPD-SL / Look type pedals and cleats but it's really no more than a preference (which is fine). People can even ride perfectly well on flat pedals if they want to.

Jack Osbourne snr | 5 years ago
0 likes

Here's my journey from road to mtb pedals...

I use Crank Brothers pedals on all of my bikes. I used to use Look road pedals and changed when I started doing a bit of Audaxing as the advice I got then (probably about 15 years ago) was "you'll spend as much time on your arse as you do on your feet if you wear road cleats on these rides, son" or "If you need to get off and walk youll struggle in them shoes lad".  It was true.

I haven't raced for many many years and the sort of riding I do does mean cafe stops/walks from bike sheds/time in shops so I gave spd pedals a go. I didn't notice any performance difference (at my pace) and I haven't landed on my arse in a cafe doorway since I switched.

I also don't have to replace cleats two or three times a year as I did with Looks and it's much easier to clip in and out, so those flapping-about-trying-to-get-the-left-cleat-to- re-engage-at-the-lights moments are now extremely rare.

I have carbon soled mtb shoes and find on the occasions where I've been in a paceline, I haven't had any issues doing my bit... Certainly not because my pedals were less efficient.

One thing as a possible tempering of my recommendation is that I now use slightly better cushioned orthotic insoles as I found the balls of my feet did sometimes got a bit sore on longer (+75 mile) rides. However, that was on at least one occasion due to running my tyres at too high a pressure.

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
1 like

Have run both but prefer SL now or just plain flats for short town journeys. I found the biggest difference was when I got some shoes with carbon soles, just felt better.

damien1080 | 5 years ago
1 like

I prefer the SPDs - just for ease of use and being able to walk.

Cleats seem to wear a lot slower too so less time faffing. 

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
3 likes

"A couple of people have mentioned that if I went with SPD SL and road shoes I would notice a massive difference"

Those people are talking nonsense. 

I use both systems, SPD on the winter and commuter bike and SPD SL on the summer bike. I do prefer SPD SL for the longer rides as I personally find the larger platform puts less stress on my leg muscles. The power gain is marginal and frankly it could be more a placebo effect than anything else! 

The main thing you want is a stiff sole and you say that your shoes already have that. I'd save your money and enjoy the easier clipping in! 

Latest Comments