Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The classic please for the love of god help me decide post!

Hi guys standard help on new bike question.

Been on a carrera crixus for 3 years, no judging it was on sale!

Now upgrading to my first "real" road bike, got a budget of about 1k and am particuarly drawn to the these three:

Giant TCR Advanced 2 - Found online for 1100

Giant Propel Advanced 2 - Found Online for 1050

The new boardman 8.9c, the replacement to the Team Carbon - 900 including British cycling discount but a unknown at this stage as new reviews out yet, cheaper but uses Tiagra rather than 105.

After your thoughts / advice / recomendations, mainly going to be used for fitness training and longer wekeend rides, got a 100 booked in for September with my furthest ride before of 60 so need something thats going to stand up to it.

Would ideally like Carbon but open to suggestions if Aluminium proves better at this price point, know if i get a decent carbon frame i can upgrade potentially to 105 as and when parts wear out.

Case of too many options and not having any friends who enojy cycling, so its new bike then new friends!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

davel | 5 years ago
1 like

Yep: buy one of them. You started off with a tidy list so you've done your research, and In 3 years' time you'll have 5 bikes and won't remember this fuss.

I recommend giving your list to any female friends, relatives and partners, and asking them to make a decision together, in order to speed things up a bit.

damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Right, after a weekend of dedicated googling ive narrowed it down to what i think is my final list:

Giant TCR 2

Giant Propel 2

Ribble R872 Matt Black Award winning editon (105 equipped at a discounted price)

So all 105 bikes, i am nowhere near Birmingham for a test drive but the reviews seem good for all 3, just  abit worried about set up when it arrives!

Looking to make the decison this week, eliminated the Boardman as willing to pay the £150 to upgrade to 105 from Tiagra, and the local halfords was shocking when asking about the basics,

Any last minute advice?

Woldsman replied to damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

damien1080 wrote:

Any last minute advice?

Enjoy the TCR 2  1

froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

Aluminum would be better at that price point, it may even weigh the same or possibly even less then CF at the same price point.  And since AL frames are cheaper to make it means you'll get better components which you might appreciate it as the miles roll by and the better components have less issues.

Specialize makes a rocket aluminum bike called the Allez Sprint Comp with all 105 for $1,800; or you can save a lot of money and go with the number one rated bike for the money under $2,000 the Allez Elite again with 105 for just $1,200.  Personally for the kind of riding you say you do, I think the Alles Elite will more than satisfy you.

damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Now added the B’Twin ultra 900af to the list.

quick question - on the Claris group when I’m sprinting I “run out” of gears - I’ve got more power to put down but the gears don’t let me go any further - is there anything to rectify this?

The Gavalier replied to damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

damien1080 wrote:

quick question - on the Claris group when I’m sprinting I “run out” of gears - I’ve got more power to put down but the gears don’t let me go any further - is there anything to rectify this?

check your limit screws

Daveyraveygravey replied to damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

damien1080 wrote:

So on your current bike, what chainset and cassette do you have?  I think Claris is 8 speed, so the cassette will likely be 11-32 teeth, ie the small cog has 11 teeth and the largest 32.  You are probably talking about the 11 when sprinting.   I don't know Claris, it could be a 12-28 or a 13-26.  The chainset at the front is probably a compact which is 50/34, so you have 50 teeth on the big ring and 34 on the small, I am guessing again that you are on the big ring when sprinting? 

With the wheel out you may be able to see numbers engraved on the cogs on the cassette, or you can just count the teeth.  Chainsets usually have a sticker or engraving somewhere on the outer edge of each part.

Newer Shimano groupsets come with a 34 tooth cassette I think, but that is more for climbing;  11-32 and 11-28 are much more common.  I don't know anyone that makes a cassette with a 10 tooth smaller cog.  Chainsets tend to be 50-34, 52-36 of 53-39.  It sounds to me like you want a 52-36; if you are spinning out/running out of gears then your legs are turning faster than you find comfortable.  But this tends to also be limited by your own performance, most people can't turn a big gear for a long time.

My Propel came with a 52-36 and an 11-28 cassette.  I have since changed the cassette to 11-32 as I like to climb hills.

Johnnyvee | 5 years ago
0 likes

Check out pauls and ash they usually have a selection of giants on offer but they will be last year's models. If they have your size...

damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

TCR offers done so just shot up to full 1500 price as well - so maybe it boardman vs 1 giant now

damien1080 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input so far guys, appreciate it.

nearest giant dealer is a small local shop - so cant really nip in for a test ride and try and knock 400 off vs online pricing, boardman dealer is a halfords so not as fussed there! But never having ridden a giant moght have to commute to test ride one i guess

still waiting for the boardman first review to come out,  the red frame options looks stunning but its just the tiagra holding me back - am i being too picky do you think?

reallly want to get out, tackle some sportives this year and then race and sportive next year so need a bit of a fast bike that isnt going to be death to ride, buying in the next 7 days so all the advice is greatfully recieved.

Daveyraveygravey | 5 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2016 Propel, carbon with Ultegra, coming up to 20,000 km now.  I love it!  I do about 100 miles a week, usually a couple of hours to and from work and then a longer ride at weekends.  I've never found the brakes an issue, in fact I would say they are the best rim brakes I have ever come across.  Then again, the brakes aren't actually Ultegra because they sit behind the forks at the front.  Is the one you quote the one at Cyclesense?  Looks like the same brakes to me but rebranded Giant Speed Control (!)

I did an Everesting on it a couple of years ago, 330 km and 27 hours, so it isn't too racy/uncomfortable.  You possibly want to try one to be sure though.  

I have ridden an older TCR which I found MORE uncomfortable than my Propel, but that was mainly down to the saddle which would give me grief after about 30 minutes.

The only issue with the Propel is it isn't very winter friendly.  If you are planning on riding through the autumn and winter I would think about a second bike to use when the weather is bad.  The Propel's brakes are susceptible to mud and cack getting into them from the roads and they are hard to keep clean/working well. I don't have a choice, but will do more mtb miles when the weather is bad.

Stef Marazzi | 5 years ago
0 likes

TCR is awesome and just surges forward.  Incredibly it can also soak up the bumps.

Propel is fast as hell, but not brilliant on crappy British Roads.

Boardman doesnt really have that surge feeling.

I would go TCR.

Richard1982 | 5 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't wory about Carbon vs Aluminium; I have both and my favourite bike is aluminium, as is the bike I race on. I'd just pick which bike you like the look of the most.

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Both the Giants are good options! I'd recommend going for a carbon frame with 105.

Both the Gaints don't have particularly great wheels (as with most Giants) - there's a lot of upgrade potential there (though it's no reason to discount them!). A couple of my mates have the Giant Propel, they say the brakes are underwhelming and have upgraded - there's plenty of people online complaining about the braking too (the Giant Trinity also suffers from similar appaling aero brake performance)!

The Boardman looks pretty good, particularly the frame. The Tektro brakes will be underwhelming, if they are anything like the Tektro's I had!

I'd go for either the Propel or TCR - the TCR also got bike of the year from Cycling Plus! The propel is the better option for aero  1

peted76 | 5 years ago
0 likes

You won't go wrong with any of these bikes, but the TCR at £1100 does seem like a sure bet.

I'm bias though as I'm on my second TCR one now. I believe they come with tubeless sealant and valves as well as an added bonus. 

Joe Totale | 5 years ago
1 like

TCR for me. £1,100 is a bargain for a fantastic frame which you can upgrade over time as bits wear out and you'll end up with a great bike which is as fast as anything else out there.  

Latest Comments