Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

When do you replace a tyre?

My rear tyre, about a year or so old with a lot of use (dry miles only, so that means it's probably had about 6 months use in total) has developed the beginnings of the old "squaring off". Conventional wisdom means it's time to change it, but what with all the waste in the world, etc etc, I thought to myself "Really, how much longer could I ride this?".

There's got to be a bit more rubber to go yet, so when's the absolute latest you'd change a tyre? I've seen some pretty worn out ones still being used, where the black of the outer layer is worn so much you can see the lighter inner layer (admittedly, I'd change it then)....nothing like that on my tyre yet, so...how long..!!?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

madcarew | 5 years ago
0 likes

Similar to Judge dreadful. When they simply can't be ridden anymore because canvas is showing through or there's bad bulges. I tend to get a pretty good run out of Conti 4000's, probably 1500 - 2000 miles for simple wear, though the sides tend to cut up before that. And unless you run your tyres very hard and corner very hard you won't notice the effect of squaring off.

I find that once the TWI is gone on the conti's you are about 3/4 way through the wear

Judge dreadful | 5 years ago
1 like

I replace them when they get cut up, they start to perish or any bulges appear, usually. That’s about 20 miles on a pair of Continental GP4000sII / GP4 seasons, usually. More robust tyres tend to last me at least a few months, and I’ve had a years worth of riding out of my last pair of Tannus Airless tyres.

AfterPeak | 5 years ago
0 likes

I get 6month (around 2500miles) out of gatarskin rear tyre before I start getting punchers in quick succession.

I used to replace front and back at same time but now I often move the rear to the front after 6 months and put a new one on the rear. Never made it passed the wear indicators before they are too cut up.

schlepcycling | 5 years ago
2 likes
TheFatAndTheFurious | 5 years ago
0 likes

I use Conti GP4000s - they seem to have a material with a criss-cross pattern in it backing on to the rubber. When I see the imprint of that layer, I know that the tyre is near its end. I've never ever noticed the effect of the squaring off. Maybe I don't corner fast enough....

Clearly, the less rubber there is, the less the tyre is resistant to punctures so if road debris is a factor around where you are, that may be too late.

Sniffer replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 5 years ago
0 likes

TheLonelyOne wrote:

I use Conti GP4000s - they seem to have a material with a criss-cross pattern in it backing on to the rubber. When I see the imprint of that layer, I know that the tyre is near its end. I've never ever noticed the effect of the squaring off. Maybe I don't corner fast enough....

Clearly, the less rubber there is, the less the tyre is resistant to punctures so if road debris is a factor around where you are, that may be too late.

Conti GP4000s have wear indicators.  Two little holes in the tyre surface.  When they start to disappear it is time to replace.

henryb replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

TheLonelyOne wrote:

Conti GP4000s have wear indicators.  Two little holes in the tyre surface.  When they start to disappear it is time to replace.

To help you find these there should be some lettering, "TWI" (Tread Wear Indicator), on the tyre wall nearby.

SingleSpeed replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 5 years ago
1 like

TheLonelyOne wrote:

I've never ever noticed the effect of the squaring off. Maybe I don't corner fast enough...

Don't worry unless you're one of the few cornering with 50bhp at 7000rpm no cyclist ever would  1

Latest Comments