Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bottom bracket and chainset compatability

Has anybody used a Miche compact chainset (with axial tension screw on the non drive side) with shimano external or BB86 bottom brackets? I am concerned about the fact that shimano chainsets only need very little tensioning compared to the 45Nm on the Miche unit. Will this pre-load the bearings too much leading to failure?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

pcaley | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your post. The shimano method sounds to be the better of the two to me. I guess Miche chainsets must come with a selection of spacers (and wavy washer?) to enable the correct preload without play?

Drinfinity | 6 years ago
0 likes

The difference is the Shimano uses the finger tight plastic tool to tension. The crank is held onto the shaft by two clamping bolts done up firmly, like an Aheadset.

The Miche 45 Nm is to hold the crank onto the splines securely, against a stop on the shaft. It does depend on having an accurate BB width and the right spacers to put just the right preload on. 

Latest Comments