Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sizing Advice

Good Afternoon All,

I'm currently looking at getting one of the 2018 Cannondale Synapse, Ultegra - specifically this:

https://www.cannondale.com/en/Great%20Britain/Bike/ProductDetail?Id=cfebd356-9377-4d75-946b-4e412103ec49&parentid=undefined

I've ridden a number of Synapse models and have wanted one for a while but am after this one now due to the new tyre clearance on this year’s model.

My question is about frame size. I'm 6'2" or around 188cm and have quite long legs but not really long arms. I've ordered in a size 56 frame to try on the advice of my bike shop, but while I was waiting for that I tried a 58 frame in another shop.

What I found was that the 58 frame was initially causing me to overreach, but this was corrected when the saddle was moved forward and could be further corrected with a shorter stem.

The concern I have with the 56 frame is that I will need to raise the seat post quite a lot and then can't really raise the bars any higher as they already have a few stack rings in place with the intention to allow serious racers to drop from the default rather than raise. I generally prefer a more upright position. 

I can't decide if I should go for the smaller frame and potentially suffer a too aggressive race position or the larger frame and possibly just buy a new, shorter stem. There is a 2.9cm standover difference between the two sizes and I think the 58 frame would be better in that respect. 

Does anyone have any advice that might help me rationalise a decision before making the final call after trying them both again?  Thanks!

M

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

MoutonDeMontagne | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6ft 3, and ride a 58cm Supersix with a 110cm stem, although can get away with a 120 mid summer when the back loosens up a bit from time in the saddle. 58 sounds about right for you, especialy as the Synapse is a touch shorter/higher than the supersix. 

Worth measuring up your position on your current bike though and checking the reach is achievable on the 58 while keeping the saddle tip - bb centre distance the same. Moving the saddle fwd to change your reach will likely upset your knees. 

arckuk | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm 6'0" with average body and leg lengths, and spent a most enjoyable week over Easter on a 56 cm Synapse (rim brake model) in Gran Canaria. It felt quite upright in comparison to my medium sized Canyon Ultimate, I'd have liked to have taken a couple of spacers out. I could possibly have gone for the 58, although I didn't try it, but I think I'd have wanted to take all the spacers out and I don't think it would have felt too long. Don't know how much that helps you, but I suspect 58 is your correct size.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

The 58cm should be the best choice. Like rando, I'm 6ft 1" and relatively long legs and I rode a 58" Synapse for a few years. I had a simple bike fit on it and similarly ended up moving the seat fowards and fitting a shorter stem (90mm).

rando | 5 years ago
0 likes

I am 6ft 1" with a 36 inch inseam and was measured for a 58cm on a Cannonadale Synapse. Also all legs with a short body !

Currently have a Trek Domane 60cm.

SteveAustin | 5 years ago
0 likes

a 56" will be too small for you. 

smatt | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks peted76, 

I'm glad my logic isn't totally flawed then smiley

Most bike shops suggest you go for a smaller frame if unsure but even though Cannondale generally come up with a longer top tube I didn't find I was overstretching when the seat was brought forward. 

That alone made me question whether the tradeoff of a smaller frame was worth it and it sounds like it might not.

OK, I'll trial the 56 as it is in my shop now but will probably go back for the 58 if I'm not happy with the position - thanks again!

M

peted76 | 5 years ago
1 like

You're 6'2" .. go with the bigger frame and a shorter stem.. a 56 isn't for normal people sized 6'2".

You 'should' really get fitted out, most decent shops will fit you up before you buy or when you buy, this usually includes stem swap outs.. so you can leave a shop without too many worries of fitting.  Worthwhile for you and your long legs and shorts arms IMO.

Latest Comments