Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bianchi e bike tuning

Thinking of buying a Bianchi e road bike but can't find a tuning dongle for the polini motor. Anyone know where to buy a derestrict kit for this bike?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Let's face it, nobody is every going to get nicked for using an 'illegal' e-bike unless they are being blatantly stupid about it (e.g. doing 30mph without pedalling or having a 9000w one that does 50mph)

Miller replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
1 like

Yorkshire wallet wrote:

Let's face it, nobody is every going to get nicked for using an 'illegal' e-bike unless they are being blatantly stupid about it (e.g. doing 30mph without pedalling or having a 9000w one that does 50mph)

Wasn't there a news story just a few days ago about that exact scenario, someone who had grafted a 4kw motor onto a bike and was caught doing 80mph?

kev-s | 5 years ago
1 like

I clearly do know the rules and legalities of de restricted them, ive been reading up on them for the last 6 months and decided against de restrictng my e-mtb but know others who have done so for off road use (still illegal unless on private land)

The op wasnt asking about the legalities, he asked about how to de restrict it, if he follows my advice and searches for a forum for bikes with his motor fitted he will find lots of users for and against de restricting and they will explain about how it makes the bike illegal to use in public places and the fact it voids any warranty on the motor (reason why mine isnt de restricted)

Some e bikes have no password protection on them and someone with a 3rd party app can connect to your bike via Bluetooth and de restrict them without your knowledge, this happened to a couple of guys on a e bike forum a while ago, they didnt realise they had been hacked and thought it was a fault and seemed strange to happen to both bikes on the same day so took it to their dealer who checked the bikes on the diagnostics and found the hack

kev-s | 5 years ago
0 likes

De restricting it wont make it into a moped, you will still need to pedal it

All it will do is remove the EU 15.5 mph assist limit, after this speed the motor gives no assist, its all down to your legs

In America the assist limit is 20mph

As well as this the motor will only give 250w of power, no de restricting will change this, all de restricting does is remove the assist limit

Your best bet to find out more about de restricting your partcular bike is to find out the motor make and see what e bike forums there are for other brands using that motor

BehindTheBikesheds replied to kev-s | 5 years ago
1 like

kev-s wrote:

De restricting it wont make it into a moped, you will still need to pedal it

All it will do is remove the EU 15.5 mph assist limit, after this speed the motor gives no assist, its all down to your legs

In America the assist limit is 20mph

As well as this the motor will only give 250w of power, no de restricting will change this, all de restricting does is remove the assist limit

Your best bet to find out more about de restricting your partcular bike is to find out the motor make and see what e bike forums there are for other brands using that motor

Clearly you don't know the rules, go bother to check them because In the eyes of the law it'll be an unapproved moped/motorcycle type vehicle once you take that assisted speed limit off. By doing so it won't meet EAPC rules that define the type, thus it won't be type approved to go at the speeds due to restricting it (unlike vehicles that are type approved to go above 15.5mph/25kph).

Ergo if it isn't type approved it's illegal on UK roads until it is approved and any user will need the requirements as I outlined to stay legal, that being registration+ fee, plus insurance + motorcycle/moped approved helmet, that's not a cycle hat BTW.

Y

srchar | 5 years ago
2 likes

Man who is too lazy to push his own pedals around is also too lazy to research how to turn his eBike into an electrically-powered moped.

I can't see the current rush to 30mph eBikes ending well.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
4 likes

So you want to turn the bike into a moped that isn't type approved and thus be illegal, if you get type approval you'll need to register it and pay the £55 fee, get personal insurance and wear an approved motorcycle/moped helmet.

big mick replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes
BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

So you want to turn the bike into a moped that isn't type approved and thus be illegal, if you get type approval you'll need to register it and pay the £55 fee, get personal insurance and wear an approved motorcycle/moped helmet.

No that's not it. When your pedaling on the flat just getting going the 16mph restriction kicks in. It's a pain because the bike becomes a heavy road bike with no assist. I can ride faster on a normal road bike. The USA assist is set at 29.3mph which would work much better for me.

Crampy replied to big mick | 5 years ago
1 like

big mick wrote:

No that's not it. When your pedaling on the flat just getting going the 16mph restriction kicks in. It's a pain because the bike becomes a heavy road bike with no assist. I can ride faster on a normal road bike. The USA assist is set at 29.3mph which would work much better for me.

But Im guessing you arent in the USA, which makes what youre planning illegal. 

Besides which, it really begs the question - if you can ride faster on a road bike, why dont you just do that?

big mick replied to Crampy | 5 years ago
0 likes
Crampy wrote:

big mick wrote:

Besides which, it really begs the question - if you can ride faster on a road bike, why dont you just do that?

Because as I get older I can't recover like I used to but still want to be out. I end up over training. The e bike will let me ride without having to tear myself to pieces on every ride. Where I live is hilly so I could ride every day keep my weight down and stay fresh for the normal bike work. I don't ride in towns or cities so the speed restrictor is just a pain for me. I can ride for 80 miles and see 3 cars up here in Northumberland

mike the bike replied to big mick | 5 years ago
0 likes

big mick wrote:

I can ride for 80 miles and see 3 cars up here in Northumberland

Yeh, my eyesight is pretty poor too.

big mick replied to Crampy | 5 years ago
0 likes
Crampy wrote:

big mick wrote:

Because as I get older I can't recover like I used to but still want to be out. I end up over training. The e bike will let me ride without having to tear myself to pieces on every ride. Where I live is hilly so I could ride every day keep my weight down and stay fresh for the normal bike work. I don't ride in towns or cities so the speed restrictor is just a pain for me. I can ride for 80 miles and see 3 cars up here in Northumberland

ricardito replied to big mick | 5 years ago
0 likes

big mick wrote:

I can ride for 80 miles and see 3 cars up here in Northumberland

Immaterial: it's still illegal.

(In fact, contrary to an earlier comment, I gather it's also illegal to use on private land).

DrJDog replied to ricardito | 5 years ago
0 likes

ricardito wrote:

(In fact, contrary to an earlier comment, I gather it's also illegal to use on private land).

That cannot be right.

srchar replied to big mick | 5 years ago
3 likes

big mick wrote:

When your pedaling on the flat just getting going the 16mph restriction kicks in. It's a pain because the bike becomes a heavy road bike with no assist. I can ride faster on a normal road bike. The USA assist is set at 29.3mph which would work much better for me.

On the flat, the weight of the bike makes no difference - and if 29.3mph would “work much better” for you, what you need is a moped, not an eBike.

I had an eBike rider undertake me today on Green Lanes. I had taken primary to go through a busy junction; he undertook me at a ridiculous speed differential. I went full beans to catch up with him to find he was doing 40km/h. He went on to almost take out a number of peds on a crossing and then overtook a bus as it made a well-signalled right-hand turn. The prosecutions for people riding derestricted eBikes can’t come too soon IMHO - it’s rare to see one ridden well.

Crampy replied to srchar | 5 years ago
1 like

srchar wrote:

big mick wrote:

When your pedaling on the flat just getting going the 16mph restriction kicks in. It's a pain because the bike becomes a heavy road bike with no assist. I can ride faster on a normal road bike. The USA assist is set at 29.3mph which would work much better for me.

On the flat, the weight of the bike makes no difference - and if 29.3mph would “work much better” for you, what you need is a moped, not an eBike.

I had an eBike rider undertake me today on Green Lanes. I had taken primary to go through a busy junction; he undertook me at a ridiculous speed differential. I went full beans to catch up with him to find he was doing 40km/h. He went on to almost take out a number of peds on a crossing and then overtook a bus as it made a well-signalled right-hand turn. The prosecutions for people riding derestricted eBikes can’t come too soon IMHO - it’s rare to see one ridden well.

I had an ebiker do this to me a while back. I was on the MUP, passing a couple on city bikes.

The ebiker shot off around us onto the grass and gravel on the wrong side, as I was passing. The city bikers got a fright and swerved out into me. Noone fell off, but the couple were a little shaken. 

I had some choice words with the ebiker, once I caught hom (after I got my breath back) but he (an older gent) was completely oblivious. What an e-idiot. All the gear and no idea.

srchar replied to Crampy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Crampy wrote:

...he was completely oblivious. What an e-idiot. All the gear and no idea.

A fairly accurate description of most of the eBikers I see round London. eHoles.

Crampy | 5 years ago
0 likes

I think youre asking the wrong people here...

Latest Comments