Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

anyone any good at getting a number plate number of a poor piture

I have a piture and I cant get the reg off it, anyone any good at it?

">http://

ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

turboprannet | 5 years ago
1 like

It looks like to me ??07 YVF or YVP

reddit.com/r/rbi might help you they're pretty good at that.

edit: fairly sure it's xx07 VWF

I got bored checking the DVLA after about 20 goes but I think it's Rx07

Where are you based? might help find it.

If you've got any other stills from the same clip it can help

zero_trooper | 5 years ago
2 likes

As a CSI officer once told me "You can't enhance shit".

However,  I'll go for (last three letters) Y - something - F or P. The middle letter can't be 'I' as that letter is not used in number plates AFAIAA.

The car is an 'oldish' newish model Honda Civic. A Honda petrolhead or dealership may be able to identify the model year(s); which would narrow down the numbers. I'd go for an eighth generation (2006-2011) judging from the lights and spoiler set up - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_(eighth_generation)

The rear spoiler seems quite pronounced, so possibly an Si or TypeR?

The area the incident occurred in may help with the first two letters. A personalised plate would spoil the hypothesis of course.

Don't know how the rear lights are set out on a Civic, but one of the off-side lights isn't working. I'm guessing that it is a brake light as he anchors up just after overtaking you, to avoid the oncoming car. Regular commuting run? You might just seem them again. 

Whatever happens, that still will never stand up in court  2

Confession or nothing  3

fukawitribe replied to zero_trooper | 5 years ago
2 likes

zero_trooper wrote:

Partially true - but what you can do is take a whole bunch of quite crap views and bung them together to make a half-decent one - astronomers (amongst others) have been doing this for years because they often have basically no choice.

hawkinspeter replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

zero_trooper wrote:

Partially true - but what you can do is take a whole bunch of quite crap views and bung them together to make a half-decent one - astronomers (amongst others) have been doing this for years because they often have basically no choice.

I imagine that'd be tricky to do for a car as it's moving so much. You'd probably have to process the images to transform the positions of the reg plate before you'd be able to compare the different shots.

Shouting out the registration sounds like a very good idea to get it recorded.

fukawitribe replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

zero_trooper wrote:

I imagine that'd be tricky to do for a car as it's moving so much. You'd probably have to process the images to transform the positions of the reg plate before you'd be able to compare the different shots.

Indeed - that how it works in general. It's tedious but relatively simple to do by hand but there is auto/semi-auto software the does needful I believe. It's a long time (> 20 years) since I worked with image recognition people so I imagine things have changed considerably though.

BehindTheBikesheds | 5 years ago
0 likes

Looks like a Y as the first letter of the second part then possibly an I or T then F but really difficult, deffo straight down stroke letters, the first section impossible.

Meditate and see if the image comes to you,

This is also why people shout the reggo and 30 fps at 1080p can sometimes not be enough.

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
1 like

Do you have any other frames ? It might be possible to stack them and try and increase the edge definitions if so, the right hand side letters are close to being legible as it is.

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

Sorry - looks like not enough resolution to work with.

DoctorFish | 5 years ago
2 likes

That thing you see in spy films where someone zooms in and in on a photo and then the screen goes from being all blury to being crystal clear showing every detail, that isn't possible.  If the information hasn't been captured by the pixels, then it just isn't there.

brooksby replied to DoctorFish | 5 years ago
3 likes

DoctorFish wrote:

That thing you see in spy films where someone zooms in and in on a photo and then the screen goes from being all blury to being crystal clear showing every detail, that isn't possible.  If the information hasn't been captured by the pixels, then it just isn't there.

I blame CSI

Leviathan replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

DoctorFish wrote:

I blame CSI

It was actually Bladerunner's fault. "Enhance" "Enhance." "Enhance." Sorry to say that even that great movie is overrated, great but overrated, a bit dull, and Harrison Ford looks bored as hell, like most of his movies. Needed more angry pointing.

hawkinspeter replied to Leviathan | 5 years ago
1 like

Leviathan wrote:

brooksby wrote:

DoctorFish wrote:

I blame CSI

It was actually Bladerunner's fault. "Enhance" "Enhance." "Enhance." Sorry to say that even that great movie is overrated, great but overrated, a bit dull, and Harrison Ford looks bored as hell, like most of his movies. Needed more angry pointing.

To be fair, Blade Runner uses future technology (ESPer) and isn't a normal 2d photo. I remember Deckard moving the point of view, so it must have been some kind of 3d reconstruction from the photo.

Is Harrison Ford bored, or is he just portraying a replicant with faked emotions?

Latest Comments