Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cautionary tale.

My bike was stolen from the roof of my car on Saturday while parked at the Auchan hypermarket in Calais.
Google has subsequently revealed that this car park is a hot bed of thievery, although I saw no warning signage.
It also advised that Thule bike carriers are very easily broken into and the locks can be picked in seconds.
I suspect they got into mine with a key as there was no damage to it.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Shades | 6 years ago
1 like

Commiserations; you would have thought that a supermarket car park in broad daylight would have been safe enough.

Stayed overnight near Calais a few years ago after a late Channel Tunnel transit.  Car crime sounded horrendous (from internet search) and my bikes were on the back of my VW Transporter due to other camping gear, windsurfer, kit etc being inside.  Found a hotel with a reasonably secure car park but there was a lot of heavy chain in use securing the bikes to the van.  Won't go that route again as I was told I should have travelled 'freight' which was way more expensive.  Managed to blag it (as a regular vehicle) but my face must have said 'are you taking the p#ss' when the tunnel staff opened the van, looked at the pile of camping and sports gear (the bikes on the back might have been a giveaway) and said it classed as freight.

Latest Comments