Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What would you spend £100 on?

So, I'm off on a big ride (big for me) in June over in France. Charity gig doing around 75 miles a day for 5 days. Recently bought my Scott Speedster and apart for the free 1st service before I go,  the shop gave me £100 credit to spend. Now, I've got the main kit. Tho no waterproof or shoe covers and gloves are cheapies off flea bay. Got a CO2 whatsit tho and good tyres thanks to your advice! 

What would you use it on? 

Ta! 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

25 comments

Liam Cahill | 6 years ago
0 likes

It won't use up your £100, but have you considered nutrition stuff? I'm guessing this is a supported thing but if not, SIS Go Energy is excellent, especially the sachets and Clif Bars are the tastiest I've tried. I'd avoid gels unless the dreaded bonk is imminent.

If you're caught out by the weather, a gilet should do and packs a little smaller than a jacket. I've got the Castelli Squadra. Bit of a boil bag if you keep it on once the rain/descent stops but for the money it's perfect.

Psycheonabike replied to Liam Cahill | 6 years ago
0 likes
Liam Cahill wrote:

It won't use up your £100, but have you considered nutrition stuff? I'm guessing this is a supported thing but if not, SIS Go Energy is excellent, especially the sachets and Clif Bars are the tastiest I've tried. I'd avoid gels unless the dreaded bonk is imminent.

If you're caught out by the weather, a gilet should do and packs a little smaller than a jacket. I've got the Castelli Squadra. Bit of a boil bag if you keep it on once the rain/descent stops but for the money it's perfect.

Thanks. I've got a load of Sis sachets from their recent offer and another 6 that came when I bought a couple of bottles.

I did think about a gilet.....I'll investigate.

Stratman | 6 years ago
0 likes

Sottlie due?  It was my first bit of castelli bought before a London to Paris ride

Psycheonabike replied to Stratman | 6 years ago
0 likes
Stratman wrote:

Sottlie due?  It was my first bit of castelli bought before a London to Paris ride

Nice.....having a search now!

Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Those Castelli Superleggera Jackets look the business. Simply can't find one for less than £95 in my size (XL) ....any similar alternatives that would fit in back pocket for a tad less dosh?

0 likes

Nice...ta!

0 likes

Over shoes? Or what's a good waterproof that will fit in the jersey back pocket......I've only been using some Muddy Fox shorts, how about a good recommendation for some arse saving pants or shorts?

don simon fbpe replied to Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Psycheonabike wrote:

Over shoes? Or what's a good waterproof that will fit in the jersey back pocket......I've only been using some Muddy Fox shorts, how about a good recommendation for some arse saving pants or shorts?

It's a bit concerning that you're thinking about new shorts at this stage. I wouldn't want to be breaking in new shorts at the beginning of a long ride, I'd rather go with something that I'm familiar with, same with jerseys.

If you haven't got a waterproof jacket or gloves, or merino socks. They'd be in my to buy list.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-superleggera-jacket-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP...

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/scd-100-2-mm-diving-gloves-id_8301094.html?_...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-light-weight-merino-sock?sku=100335546...

Merino will be comfortable on warm days, when the temp drops and negate the need for overshoes when it gets a bit wet, plus they don't smell too much...

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
0 likes

I'm all out of ideas then....

0 likes

Thanks....

Fortunately we'll have a support vehicle available with some pretty snazzy cycle technicians on hand with all the kit we'll need. Having said that those of us who are maybe a little more experienced will be riding off into the distance at some point. Its there that I might need some of that £100 spending wisely.

don simon fbpe replied to Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
2 likes

Psycheonabike wrote:

Thanks....

Fortunately we'll have a support vehicle available with some pretty snazzy cycle technicians on hand with all the kit we'll need. Having said that those of us who are maybe a little more experienced will be riding off into the distance at some point. Its there that I might need some of that £100 spending wisely.

Coke and hookers it is then...

Psycheonabike replied to don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
1 like
don simon wrote:

Psycheonabike wrote:

Thanks....

Coke and hookers it is then...

They ARE the tech team! :p

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

A good water resistant jacket will work as a windproof, or it should, so might as well get the one garment that is capable of both. I use a Showers Pass Skyline, luckily bought new from a retailer for 70% off and it's my go to autumn/spring outer layer when it's chilly and/or drizzle.

Having a good look at the weather forcast for the week, it should give you a fairly accurate indicator, when I took a party to do Raid Alpine early last August we had to contend with overcast/rain on first day through to snow on the Iseran and within two days 34C as we got to the climb before La Couillole but I/we already knew the extreme ranges of weather that was going to crop up.

It'd be prudent of the organisers to inform participants as well as those taking part to get an idea as to what weather they may come across and prepare for the worst but if you are having to carry all your own kit then investing in something to carry that kit is a must.

I've riden a fair few tunnels in the Alps and at high speed when there were a couple of crappy sodiums, unless you're going to take a proper light and are able to engage the full beam before you get into the tunnel AND be able to adjust your eyes then it isn't worth it. I've never gone through a forest and thought oh I need a front light, back light maybe if it's a really filthy day but for a general daytime light, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

ConcordeCX replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

I've riden a fair few tunnels in the Alps and at high speed when there were a couple of crappy sodiums, unless you're going to take a proper light and are able to engage the full beam before you get into the tunnel AND be able to adjust your eyes then it isn't worth it. I've never gone through a forest and thought oh I need a front light, back light maybe if it's a really filthy day but for a general daytime light, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever.

i've been caught in brutal thunderstorms that lasted hours in the Massif Central in June/July, and brought large amounts of foliage down onto the roads. In the Cevennes I've experienced snow and large hailstones on the causses, even in July. A front light is valuable in that sort of circumstance because it helps you to be seen by any oncoming traffic that's insane enough still to be moving.

In that type of circumstance it doesn't matter what you wear, you'll get soaked, so I'd say that a dry set of kit for the next day would be useful, especially if the op has back-up to carry it and to help dry the soaking kit.

This is why I stopped touring in relatively normal clothing and switched to lycra. After the first drenching it took two days for the rain to stop, and to get my kit dry enough to continue.

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Tools could be your friend then...

Saddle bag, decent multi-tool with chain tool on, spare chain links, decent pump, insulated bottles, high 5 race pack for fuel etc.

0 likes

....got a Garmin Forerunner. Seems o do the trick. Can't seee the sense in getting another compter - probably sped the £'s on something more useful. 

alansmurphy | 6 years ago
0 likes

How's your flight deck, love a bike computer...

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

Shorts, are your shorts tried and tested over long distances? How many pairs do you have, are you able to wash and get dried shorts every other day. Maybe invest in some bum cream, sun cream also with a high factor as France can get baking hot and you'll be out all day. You're better off with a cotton cap to keep the sun off your head.

A 'water resistant' jacket , depends what the shop have but you would be really unlucky in June to get bad weather IME so something that could be rolled up to a reasonably small size as a back up. Are you using a pannier, seat or frame bag to carry stuff? 

You could get some overshoes but might be overkill, however if you're riding with no mudguards you can buy a new pair of full sized neoprene jobs on ebay for about £8, I wouldn't bother with toe covers, if it's wet enough to warrant them then you'd be better off with a full sized neoprene overshoe.

Cheap gloves can be a nightmare, it's the one thing I wouldn't scrimp on, also a pair of decent shoes, maybe think about a pair of spare glasses.

Forget the daytime light advice it's absolute pony, it simply will not do anything to enhance safety. Whilst not perfect the French aren't complete bastards when it comes to getting around people on bikes.

LastBoyScout replied to BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
1 like

BehindTheBikesheds wrote:

A 'water resistant' jacket , depends what the shop have but you would be really unlucky in June to get bad weather IME so something that could be rolled up to a reasonably small size as a back up. Are you using a pannier, seat or frame bag to carry stuff? 

You could get some overshoes but might be overkill, however if you're riding with no mudguards you can buy a new pair of full sized neoprene jobs on ebay for about £8, I wouldn't bother with toe covers, if it's wet enough to warrant them then you'd be better off with a full sized neoprene overshoe.

Forget the daytime light advice it's absolute pony, it simply will not do anything to enhance safety. Whilst not perfect the French aren't complete bastards when it comes to getting around people on bikes.

I agree with the other things you said, but:

I've had some foul weather in France in summer, so definitely take something at least windproof. Certainly don't underestimate how cold you can get on an alpine downhill, having sweated up the climb.

Neoprene in summer will make your feet boil! Something light-weight would be fine.

Depends where you're riding. I have been glad of daytime lights in the Alps where you can get some long, unlit, tunnels and similarly if you end up in very densely wooded areas.

Grahamd | 6 years ago
1 like

A tube of Assos skin repair gel

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
0 likes

Waterproof clothing. The important point is to always carry waterproof clothing as a kind of weather insurance, although it only really works in reverse - when you don't have them, it's more effective than a rain-dance.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Some decent daytime running lights - a really good rear, especially.

HoarseMann replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Some decent daytime running lights - a really good rear, especially.

+1 for this.

for £100 I’d get an exposure trace R day bright rear and a cat eye volt 800 up front

then put any leftovers towards a cheap waterproof  jacket that will stuff easily in a jersey pocket 

Latest Comments