Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Where’s the comments on the new site?

Nice new look on the new site, but where are the comments, so we can argue about helmets?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

37 comments

Kadinkski | 5 years ago
2 likes

I've stopped visiiting the site on my mobile. Can't see any comments and it keeps opening new windows and going to new stories if i just scroll to a certain point.

srchar | 5 years ago
4 likes

I can't get comments on my iPhone, nor can I even see a link to the forums. The ads are not only intrusive but they make the site slow and mess up the scrolling. I know - ask for a refund - but I find myself using the site once in the evening, a few times a week, using my laptop, rather than checking in a couple of times a day on my phone.

Bentrider | 5 years ago
0 likes

I can get comments on my mobile if I log in.  To do that, however, I have to request the Desktop version of the website in order to see a 'Login' button above the blue banner.  Having logged in I can return to the Mobile version.

Also, the blue banner on the mobile site doesn't contain the 'News' 'Reviews' etc links.  There is a '3 bar' menu looking button to the left of the 'road.cc' heading but it doesn't do anything.

Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
0 likes

Can't get comments on mine. Android Nougat, chrome. All I get is the spinning thing. Mine is rooted with an adblocker. 

alan sherman | 5 years ago
3 likes

Traffic is probably up due to the slow loadtimes and super sensitive swipe right fo ra new story.  I try to scroll and end up accidentally clicking on a bloody advert or being directed to the next story.  Android, Chrome Browser, Galaxy A5 2017

I'm not a fan.

bobbinogs | 5 years ago
0 likes

Only way i can get it working on Android is via FF. As per above, usually takes several 'visits' to actually visit so have been checking out the alternatives...

fukawitribe | 5 years ago
2 likes

I strongly suspect brooksby is absolutely on the money, be interesting to hear how your traffic flow was being measured. It was taking me at least 2 hits to get the page I wanted due to the new mobile site - such gems as the links to articles from the 'classic' view site don't open in 'classic' mode so you have to fudge the URL each time or use the desktop view (which sucks on a 'phone). I've pretty much stopped visiting via mobile now TBH, and wait until i'm on a desktop/laptop.

Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi all,

Sorry if the new look mobile site isn't working the way you want it. We're not happy about the log-in and commenting situation either. It is though fairly easy to get back to the old version of the site, which the new one is simply sitting on top of.

To get to the classic version of the site ignore the link in the top menu and scroll to the bottom of the page of the new mobile site and hit the Classic Version link. That'll take you to the old version - which is the responsive desktop site - you can also go to the desktop site by checking the Desktop box in the browser nav on your phone (well you can on my Android phone). The link on the bottom of the page (unlike the one we had added in to the main menu on the mobile site) works. It's not ideal, and it's not what was supposed to happen but it works for the moment until we can get the mobile site overlay - that's what the new look is - fixed.

As to whether the new mobile site works? Well, traffic is up massively so from our end that looks like a win at the moment - albeit with some big caveats when it comes to commenting and logging in, which it's fair to say we're not very happy about either.

brooksby replied to Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
5 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

As to whether the new mobile site works? Well, traffic is up massively so from our end that looks like a win at the moment - albeit with some big caveats when it comes to commenting and logging in, which it's fair to say we're not very happy about either.

Mr Farrelly - I think you'll find traffic is up massively because if I try to go to classic site on my phone (older model iPhone) it opens up two more instances of Safari before actually opening the classic site.  And when the site crashes, like slightly more than half the time if I try to actually log into the classic site, it often reloads the page in *another* new instance.  So my attempt to visit the site is actually creating three visits!  Since I haven't changed anything on my phone, all this is a consequence of *your* mobile site's redesign.

(I can only confidently view the comments, log in and leave comments, if I'm at my desk at work or I can prise our home iPad out of my wife's hands!)

wycombewheeler replied to Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
2 likes
Tony Farrelly wrote:

Hi all,

Sorry if the new look mobile site isn't working the way you want it. We're not happy about the log-in and commenting situation either. It is though fairly easy to get back to the old version of the site, which the new one is simply sitting on top of.

To get to the classic version of the site ignore the link in the top menu and scroll to the bottom of the page of the new mobile site and hit the Classic Version link. That'll take you to the old version - which is the responsive desktop site - you can also go to the desktop site by checking the Desktop box in the browser nav on your phone (well you can on my Android phone). The link on the bottom of the page (unlike the one we had added in to the main menu on the mobile site) works. It's not ideal, and it's not what was supposed to happen but it works for the moment until we can get the mobile site overlay - that's what the new look is - fixed.

Traffic is up massively?
Do we think
A) more users are using the site within one week of the design change
B) users are struggling withbthe site leading to multiple hits from the same users as they try to find the comments or have to restart after accidentally hitting the annoying "smartphone" button which shifts from the classic (which I would call "usable") site to the new (crap) site.
You might be able to fool your advertisers with these increased traffic numbers but long-term people will get frustrated with the experience and leave.

mikeymustard replied to wycombewheeler | 5 years ago
2 likes
wycombewheeler wrote:
Tony Farrelly wrote:

Hi all,

Traffic is up massively?
Do we think
A) more users are using the site within one week of the design change
B) users are struggling withbthe site leading to multiple hits from the same users as they try to find the comments or have to restart after accidentally hitting the annoying "smartphone" button which shifts from the classic (which I would call "usable") site to the new (crap) site.
You might be able to fool your advertisers with these increased traffic numbers but long-term people will get frustrated with the experience and leave.

Afraid I have to agree - kept being bounced "back onto the new site only to discover that I had 4 new tabs opened.
I stopped using bike radar because it wouldn't allow me to block the 20 odd ads per page, please don't let this site become unusable

700c | 5 years ago
0 likes

This is frustrating and rapidly causing people to leave the site I imagine. Doesn't work on an android phone browser, fyi.  It only works when I log on using a laptop that it works and I hardly ever do that.

most of the people suffering from this are probably not able to comment anyway on this thread!

Hirsute replied to 700c | 5 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

This is frustrating and rapidly causing people to leave the site I imagine. Doesn't work on an android phone browser, fyi.  It only works when I log on using a laptop that it works and I hardly ever do that.

most of the people suffering from this are probably not able to comment anyway on this thread!

Works on mine. I had to get the desktop version first though in order to sign in. Then once signed in, I can see comments and then swap back to mobile version. This also using adguard 2.1

fukawitribe replied to Hirsute | 5 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:
700c wrote:

Works on mine. I had to get the desktop version first though in order to sign in. Then once signed in, I can see comments and then swap back to mobile version. This also using adguard 2.1

Working on mine now - mainly due to the fact it looks like they've disabled the new mobile view by default (available via the annoying 'Smartphone' button on the right)..

Moist von Lipwig | 5 years ago
0 likes

Since last week on the site on desktop (on 3 different browsers), the comments load on forum topics but don't load on news articles - just get the spinning wheel of doom.  

Hirsute replied to Moist von Lipwig | 5 years ago
0 likes

Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Since last week on the site on desktop (on 3 different browsers), the comments load on forum topics but don't load on news articles - just get the spinning wheel of doom.  

Are you running a script blocker?

brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

Dear Editor - is there any news on how/if the mobile version of the website will be fixed/re-redesigned?  Over the weekend I logged in - by going to the 'classic view' of the site, as I couldn't see how to on the new version - refreshed in the new version and it promptly crashed.  The new version still doesn't have any visible comments and frankly, as I've said before, the comments are half the fun, certainly a main reason I read the site. Without them, I'll probably have to go elsewhere for my cycling news.

fukawitribe replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

Dear Editor - is there any news on how/if the mobile version of the website will be fixed/re-redesigned?  Over the weekend I logged in - by going to the 'classic view' of the site, as I couldn't see how to on the new version - refreshed in the new version and it promptly crashed.  The new version still doesn't have any visible comments and frankly, as I've said before, the comments are half the fun, certainly a main reason I read the site. Without them, I'll probably have to go elsewhere for my cycling news.

The article links from the site on mobile in classic mode aren't appending the "?fromt=yes" to the URL - with that on you see the comments and the article in classic mode, without it defaults to 'new' borked mode instead.

brooksby replied to fukawitribe | 5 years ago
2 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

brooksby wrote:

The article links from the site on mobile in classic mode aren't appending the "?fromt=yes" to the URL - with that on you see the comments and the article in classic mode, without it defaults to 'new' borked mode instead.

...which means I still can't see them on my phone. F*@$%ing annoying, tbh.

fukawitribe replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

brooksby wrote:

...which means I still can't see them on my phone. F*@$%ing annoying, tbh.

Yup - completely agree about annoying, although pasting that option onto the end of the URL works on the phone as well (hardly ideal). Can't say i'm entirely surprised - they're really fucked up the comments last time they did a rewrite (and they still don't work properly, e.g. links from the main page to a particular comment) not to mention honestly one of the very worse pieces of search functionality i've had the misfortune to experience in nearly 40 odd years of arsing around with computers...

Jetmans Dad | 5 years ago
1 like

Tried three browsers: Edge, Firefox and Chrome, and get the same with all three. Spinning wheel where the comments should be, until I log in and then the comments appear. 

New mobile site is a bit of a dead loss to be honest. 

andsaw | 5 years ago
0 likes

I found i get the spinning wheel but when i sign in they are there, i stopped using Adblock plus as its got bloated, now using Ublock origin, much better.

brooksby | 5 years ago
1 like

I can see them on the standard website on my PC (Edge browser on Windows 10), but the mobile site is the "flashy" () new one which is very wobbly, slow to load, and the comments are *still* missing... no

Dear Mr Editor - I do most of my reading of the site in the evenings on my phone (an older iPhone); if the comments remain missing from the mobile site, and if the new mobile site doesn't become a *lot* more stable, then I'm afraid you've lost a reader.  Sorry 

Dnnnnnn | 5 years ago
3 likes

What comments?

simonmb | 5 years ago
5 likes

I wish they'd stay missing. My blood pressure would be restored to a healthy level with nothing to wind me up.

WilliamAC1 | 5 years ago
1 like

Missing off my Mac using Safari even with Adblock disabled

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
2 likes

I'll give up AdBlock Plus when they uninstall it from my cold, dead PC!

yupiteru | 5 years ago
1 like

Missing off my PC as well, using Firefox if not logged into site. Log in and then comments magically appear, so no big deal - assumed it was intentional.

Milkfloat | 5 years ago
0 likes

They are also missing on a PC (Chrome).  At least if you use Adblock Plus.  If you turn off Adblock Plus then you can see the comments.

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
1 like

I'm with you Brooksby. I like to keep an eye on the comments and you can't see comment numbers in the new format.

Pages

Latest Comments