Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Di2 Adjusting Questions

Hello, and thank you for taking my questions.

Art’s Cyclery has two videos about adjusting the Di2 group set.  After adjusting the height in the 6770 video, it goes on to talk about adjusting the angle of the ‘cage.’  The ‘adjusting screw’ presses against the braze-on and ‘kicks’ the tail of the front derailleur out to get it to line up perfectly with the large cog.

In the 6870 video it says to adjust the ‘support bolt’ so it just touches the ‘frame/braze-on’ without moving the derailleur out of position.

• How can the same bolt/screw be both an ‘adjusting screw’ and ‘support bolt?’
  • Should it be used to adjust the angle of the front derailleur or not?

The 6870 video also says to start by making sure the outer plate of the front derailleur is parallel to the large chain ring when the chain is on the small chain ring.  It goes on to say, “…once you have the derailleur in position, tighten the derailleur fixing bolt…”

• How did the outer plate of the front derailleur get parallel to the large chain ring when the fixing bolt was loose?
  • Isn’t the fixing bolt just for height only?
  • Said differently, can it be used to make the outer plate parallel?
  • If so, how do I do so?
  • Should I assume I have already gone through and adjusted the high limit at some point in time to get it parallel?

I did bring my bike into a shop and they said they upgraded the software to the latest version – 3.2.1 from 2.1.0.  However, subsequent to that, I finally figured out how to get the e-tube project software installed on Windows 10 Enterprise (it required a change to a group policy setting).  I have the SM-BCR2 charger and when the e-tube software started it automatically updated the software version to 3.1.0.

I assume the shop has a SM-PCE1 linkage device.

• Could that have been used to upgrade my software to 3.2.1?
  • Said differently, can the SM-PCE1 be used to set the software to any version it wants?
  • Was it really at 3.2.1, because the compatibility guides show 3.1.0 as the latest software for my group set?
  • If it can work and would be better to be at 3.2.1, should I take it back and have it updated – again?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

kil0ran | 6 years ago
1 like

You can do most of the adjustments including firmware updates with the battery charger, the other box is primarily for diagnostic work.
If you have a braze on mech the support bolt sets the angle of the cage. Band on mechs can be rotated to set the angle, although the latest Shimano mechs state you should use the support bolt to do this.
As I understand it you can't downgrade firmware on Di2 kit so not sure what's going on with the versions.
Strongly recommend that you read the Shimano dealer manual (not user guide) - they're excellent and include all the information you need to set up your group.

Accessibility f... | 6 years ago
1 like

Ignore the videos and just follow Shimano's clear written instructions on the paper manuals provided with each piece of equipment.  6770 and 6870 are different groups and do not share the same setup.

> Isn’t the fixing bolt just for height only?

No, hence the shape of the braze-on.

> Said differently, can it be used to make the outer plate parallel?

Yes, a bit.

> If so, how do I do so?

Loosen it, move the derailleur until it's in the right spot, tighten it.

> Should I assume I have already gone through and adjusted the high limit at some point in time to get it parallel?

The limit screws don't set the angle of the derailleur.  They just stop the cage moving too far in either direction.

roadpqa2021 replied to Accessibility for all | 5 years ago
0 likes

I apologize for the delayed response.  Thank you very much.  Your insight is appreciated.

Latest Comments