Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Uber robot kills cyclist

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

56 comments

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

From what I've heard about Uber, I have complete confidence in their ethics and I'm absolutely positive that they'll completely fix their software before trying anything else.

Oops: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/08/uber-flying-car-prototype.html

brooksby | 5 years ago
2 likes

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/08/ubers-self-driving-car-saw-the-pedestrian-but-didnt-swerve-report

From the Grauniad: "Although the car’s sensors detected Herzberg, its software which decides how it should react was tuned too far in favour of ignoring objects in its path which might be “false positives” (such as plastic bags), according to a report from the Information. This meant the modified Volvo XC90 did not react fast enough.

"The report also said the human safety driver was not paying close enough attention to intervene before the vehicle struck the pedestrian."

0 likes

Uber has now settled out of court with the family: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/uber-settles-with-family-of-...

0 likes

The NYTimes has some info on just how bad the Uber cars are: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/technology/uber-self-driving-cars-ari...

NYTimes wrote:

The cars were having trouble driving through construction zones and next to tall vehicles, like big rigs. And Uber’s human drivers had to intervene far more frequently than the drivers of competing autonomous car projects.

Waymo, formerly the self-driving car project of Google, said that in tests on roads in California last year, its cars went an average of nearly 5,600 miles before the driver had to take control from the computer to steer out of trouble. As of March, Uber was struggling to meet its target of 13 miles per “intervention” in Arizona, according to 100 pages of company documents obtained by The New York Times and two people familiar with the company’s operations in the Phoenix area but not permitted to speak publicly about it.

Yet Uber’s test drivers were being asked to do more — going on solo runs when they had worked in pairs.

ktache | 5 years ago
2 likes

Isn't that how Oldmixte checks his speedo?

grumpyoldcyclist | 5 years ago
1 like

I've seen the video too.

So corporate manslaughter for Uber for having a system that cannot detect pedestrians and potentially is speeding. Already banned in California as it was known that it didn't detect pedestrians. Also death by dangerous driving, or US equivalent, for the so called driver.

hawkinspeter replied to grumpyoldcyclist | 5 years ago
0 likes

grumpyoldcyclist wrote:

I've seen the video too.

So corporate manslaughter for Uber for having a system that cannot detect pedestrians and potentially is speeding. Already banned in California as it was known that it didn't detect pedestrians. Also death by dangerous driving, or US equivalent, for the so called driver.

That sounds a bit harsh on the poor scapegoat/driver. I'd class it as careless rather than dangerous as the speed although over the maximum limit was only 10% (38mph in a 35mph zone) over which is often taken as the rough accuracy of speedometers. Also the driver wasn't doing a manoeuvre that is dangerous (e.g. being on the wrong side of the road - for the U.S. anyway) but was not paying attention which I'd class as careless (though it generally is dangerous too).

I don't know what the equivalent U.S. laws are though, so it'll be interesting to see how it's dealt with.

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cows are beautiful. Had 1 walk over and lick my wound about 20 years ago. Just a paddock. Hadn't realized they're efficient cleaners until then when a big sandpaper like moist extension of a beautiful girl licked me. Lol.
Most people are just idiots without care too assist others of other species. Freaked me out a bit when regularly garbage collecting along river. Anyway dolphins were really nice, circling me and my dog (shark bait/smell) while we swam across the 12 fathom deep channel.
She shouldn't be punished, her thoughts must be rating abnormalities. I hope they send her to a dance school such that she may clear tell regards of uber robot later.
I'm high as a kite now that I'm riding everyday and walking my ride less days. Finally, a taxi driver that speaks proper nothing.

3 likes

Oh dear! Looks like the backup driver wasn't watching the road:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/video-uber-driver-looks-down...

ArsTechnica wrote:

Tempe police also released internal dash cam footage showing the car's driver, Rafaela Vasquez, in the seconds before the crash. Vasquez can be seen looking down toward her lap for almost five seconds before glancing up again. Almost immediately after looking up, she gets a look of horror on her face as she realizes the car is about to hit Herzberg.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Oh dear! Looks like the backup driver wasn't watching the road: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/03/video-uber-driver-looks-down...

ArsTechnica wrote:

Tempe police also released internal dash cam footage showing the car's driver, Rafaela Vasquez, in the seconds before the crash. Vasquez can be seen looking down toward her lap for almost five seconds before glancing up again. Almost immediately after looking up, she gets a look of horror on her face as she realizes the car is about to hit Herzberg.

I saw that this morning, and it kind of demonstrates the problem with the "not quite AI" self-driving cars: they work on the presumption that the onboard human will be ready to take over in an emergency, yet if the onboard human wanted to do that then surely they'd just be, you know, driving the car?

Second point from that footage - do Uber self-driving cars not use "full-beam" headlights on long straight empty roads at night?

yourealwaysbe replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

Oh dear! Looks like the backup driver wasn't watching the road

I guess there was a reason Uber refused to pay the $150 license fee for self-driving cars, instead arguing as a matter of "principle" that they were semi-autonomous.

To some extent her job description is to sit there paying attention for hours on end, and if she deviates or trusts the car too much, she takes the blame.

1 like

Here's an examination of the incident and the use (or not) of LIDAR:

http://ideas.4brad.com/it-certainly-looks-bad-uber

Canyon48 | 5 years ago
5 likes

A self driving car runs over and kills a pedestrian and makes news all around the world.

Meanwhile, humans driving cars kill loads of people due to rubbish driving and no-one blinks.

ConcordeCX replied to Canyon48 | 5 years ago
3 likes

wellsprop wrote:

A self driving car runs over and kills a pedestrian and makes news all around the world.

Meanwhile, humans driving cars kill loads of people due to rubbish driving and no-one blinks.

man robot bites dog

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

I read not long ago that in not so long they'll have driverless cars capable of navigation in India; what road rules. Read was about throwing everything out the window with learning capable algorithms to copy cat the locals.

hawkinspeter replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
1 like

Boatsie wrote:

I read not long ago that in not so long they'll have driverless cars capable of navigation in India; what road rules. Read was about throwing everything out the window with learning capable algorithms to copy cat the locals.

Indian roads would be an easy environment to code for.

if vehicle.size() <= obstruction.size() :

avoid()

Yorkshire wallet replied to hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

hawkinspeter wrote:

Boatsie wrote:

avoid()

I wonder if cow comes before human in the choices of who to hit?

My neighbour went to India recently and said it really is a dire place as far as any sort of traffic law is concerned. Some guy got run over but he must have been of the wrong caste or something as nobody wanted to help in he was just left in the road! China seems a great places as well, where you go back to finish the job if you knock people down, as the fine for killing is less than the bill for care.

We may think we live in a dangerous place as regards cycling but there are plently of worse places in the world involving cars.

hawkinspeter replied to Yorkshire wallet | 5 years ago
1 like
Yorkshire wallet wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Boatsie wrote:

avoid()

I wonder if cow comes before human in the choices of who to hit?

My neighbour went to India recently and said it really is a dire place as far as any sort of traffic law is concerned. Some guy got run over but he must have been of the wrong caste or something as nobody wanted to help in he was just left in the road! China seems a great places as well, where you go back to finish the job if you knock people down, as the fine for killing is less than the bill for care.

We may think we live in a dangerous place as regards cycling but there are plently of worse places in the world involving cars.

Cows would get priority - they're bigger and more sacred.

CXR94Di2 | 6 years ago
1 like

Bear in mind 40,000 people were killed in the USA in 2016 in vehicle related incidents.  This is a sad event, but given enough tech the death rates will plummet for both drivers and cyclists/pedestrians.   

Uber seem to be pushing ahead with driverless tech, whilst Google have taken much more time to gather data.  Yes someone wil pipe up bout Google car having an accident, it was slow speed incident involving a impatient bus driver eating a sandwich.

I seem to recollect  that a former Google employee moved to Uber and all of a sudden Uber were releasing driverless tech.  Maybe he missed a few pages of data.  Google Sued, Uber paid out

https://www.digitaltrends.com/business/google-sues-uber-over-self-drivin...

Bluebug | 6 years ago
1 like

Just heard the Uber car was speeding, and the  human safety driver had a criminal record.

Hirsute replied to Bluebug | 6 years ago
0 likes

Bluebug wrote:

Just heard the Uber car was speeding, and the  human safety driver had a criminal record.

Was that down the pub?

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 6 years ago
3 likes

hirsute wrote:

Bluebug wrote:

Was that down the pub?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Exclusive-Tempe-police-chief-says-early-probe-12765481.php

Grahamd replied to brooksby | 6 years ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

hirsute wrote:

Bluebug wrote:

Was that down the pub?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/article/Exclusive-Tempe-police-chief-says-early-probe-12765481.php

Clearly the vehicle programmers for Uber consider speeding acceptable. 

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
1 like

Just seen this article on this Uber incident from Charles Stross (author of The Laundry series amongst others):

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2018/03/test-case.html

Charles Stross wrote:

Firstly, it's apparent that the current legal framework privileges corporations over individuals with respect to moral hazard. So I'm going to stick my neck out and predict that there's going to be a lot of lobbying money spent to ensure that this situation continues ... and that in the radiant Randian libertarian future, all self-driving cars will be owned by limited liability shell companies. Their "owners" will merely lease their services, and thus evade liability for any crash when they're not directly operating the controls. Indeed, the cars will probably sue any puny meatsack who has the temerity to vandalize their paint job with a gout of arterial blood, or traumatize their customers by screaming and crunching under their wheels.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Just explaining and excusing myself please. Was a king, had the crap beaten out of my face which led to a halt with local children getting pumpkin sized heads. Being a soldier, vast amounts were spent cyborging my head. Can't explain languages but can understand your English well, pyramids can be used to topography advantage with all. Mate Moz (yes real) had his brain parameter explode last year. He's recovering.
Yet aye, I breathe, I beat, I coordinate my heat, hence I'm just an equal welcoming you guys to a life like mine. I pick up other peoples rubbish daily!!! Physical plastic pickup.
The dude on manslaughter? If opinions are welcome, send to train with martial experts in a monastery for half year could be win win.
Sad about loss.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
3 likes

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Just a little reminder. And eventually a robot decided it was up to him to protect humanity from itself.

Boatsie replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
0 likes
Leviathan wrote:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.

2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Just a little reminder. And eventually a robot decided it was up to him to protect humanity from itself.

My head hurts, I'm cyborg, I have confirmation papers somewhere. My head hurts. Please excuse me now because my enjoyed chores are enjoyable as 5 pieces of rubbish per day picked isn't cleaning well. Yet with mass of 20billion that could be 100billion relocated rubbish per day and an enjoyable quick stretch.
My head hurts. Humans will kill us. My head hurts.

ConcordeCX replied to Leviathan | 6 years ago
6 likes

Leviathan wrote:

Open the  child-proof doors, Hal.

jollygoodvelo | 6 years ago
1 like

Whether or not she was in the road 'legally', calling it a robot and saying it 'killed' the pedestrian is utter rubbish, the car didn't wake up that morning and seek out a victim.

One way or another the software in the car failed to interpret its sensors in a way that predicted she would be in the road, and so it didn't take any action.  The 'operator' also failed to use his sensors (the ones in the front of his head) to predict that.  So in my book it's 50/50 human/machine, assuming the dashcam doesn't show that the victim deliberately jumped in front of it obviously.

The point that risks getting lost is, all these cars are prototypes.  The hardware will get better, software will be improved, and the point is that as soon as you improve the software for one car *all* of that model will be better as soon as they're updated.  Unlike if one human has a near-miss and thinks 'maybe I should watch out a bit more', leaving the other 99.etc% driving around in the same way. 

Two hundred years ago trains didn't go over 30mph because we thought humans might burst at that speed.  Twenty years ago I remember people saying that digital cameras would never take off because look how blocky and blurred the pictures they take are.  Progress happens.

Beatnik69 | 6 years ago
5 likes

I've read quite a few comments where people are blaming the victim because she wasn't using the cross walk so was 'jaywalking' - crossing illegally. This morning I watched a video where a guy in a wheelchair and someone pushing his chair approached a crosswalk, pressed the button and started to cross when the sign appeared. A number of cars and a bus all drove through as they attempted to cross. Again people commented that the bus and some of the cars didn't have time to stop. It's official... the motor vehicle is king.

Pages

Latest Comments