Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road Tyre advice (for a newbie)

Hi,

Took out my Scott Speedster for a ride recently - I usually am an off roader but it was great being on the road and having a proper workout. Tyres are a bit 'Gravelly' for me and think I'd ride better with thinner ones. What do you advise?

Thanks...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Boatsie | 5 years ago
0 likes

Cheers froze, makes me happier knowing the liners are plastic. Unlike rubbish, they contour well, remain within tyre and will easily find the recycling bin later; much later. They will hot pot recycle easy.
As too cutting liners, I wouldn't bother as overlap doesn't harm performance and the slight weight is nearer nothing compared to the other side of the circle when used to counter reflector or such.
Anyway, congratulations with cycling Psyche, I'm wondering if the Brits will let me migrate. Paddling holy head to isle of Mann would be a loveable chore. Last time I visited a tropical cousin of great white washed up on a cold Devon beach. I thought it was funny because when the destroyer class ship was locally launched, my friends son; a disendant of Sir Lancealot rolled into the water and a copper boat plucked him from. Then 2 months later a great white 4.5 leapt from waters in front of camera/s.
I'm amazed, I had been walking around about 10-20 years thinking everyone was a wizard yet hid such such like sex.
Cycling /walking/canoeing/swimming; concentrated exercise is best in case incoming incoming.
Nice high rocks where some of you guys live, perfect too incubate a dragon.
Psyched ya; enjoy brother.
Trumps a champion

StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Really pleased you enjoyed it! You might want to edit your post though, 25 meters isn't that impressive around here ​.

Psycheonabike replied to StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

Really pleased you enjoyed it! You might want to edit your post though, 25 meters isn't that impressive around here ​.

Doh!!!! 

Psycheonabike | 5 years ago
1 like

All great advice thanks.

Though to be honest I did my first 25miles on my first Road Bike on Saturday and it was great! I put Conti Ultra Sports on but as its my first road ride I couldn't offer a review. I was surprised at how 'sticky' they felt after being broken in though. 

froze | 5 years ago
0 likes

I would not go with Conti 4 Seasons or other such high priced Contis, why? because there are a lot of tires on the market today that are just as good, if not better, for at least a third of the cost for Conti's.  And the Conti Ultrasport don't even have flat protection in them, what did you expect for $9?  At least with a Schwalbe Lugano K-Guard folding tire it has a flat protection belt and it only cost $15.  The prices I'm quoting came from Ribbles based on US dollar.

Now on to liners, Mr Tuffy are not kevlar or aramid they are polyurethane, not that it really matters but poly seems to work better then kevlar or aramid but at a cost of more weight.  I don't like Mr Tuffy because they don't trim the ends smooth so they don't rub a hole into the tube as you ride, I aways had to sand down the ends myself to prevent that.  Now a newer liner called RhinoDillos have put a soft plyable end on their liner which prevents the liner from rubbing a hole into the tube, and from reviews and test they may be better at stopping flats then the Mr Tuffy.

Don't waste your money on thorn resistant tubes, they had a lot of weight to a wheel and do very little to stop flats, so just use your normal tubes, a decent tire, and a liner if you want to have miles of virtual flat free riding.  Almost forgot, always add talic or baby powder to tubes before installing, this actually decreases rolling resistance a tad.

Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Thanks.

And 120psi....blimey! That's another newbie thread!

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

A general 'average' is 40-42 mm for non-aero rims.

0 likes

What size presta valve should I get for my bike? Is there a rule of thumb?

d_jp | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use those inner tubes & also run 25c tyres,  although whilst they're £6 at Halfords, half that price at either of these shops... (depending upon where is easiest for you to get to - Evans have shops all over the UK)  1

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Continental/Race-28-Inner-Tube-700x18-2...

https://www.evanscycles.com/continental-race-28-700c-presta-valve-inner-...

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Note: the liners are longer than the inner circumference of the tyre. I think we're supposed to snip them too length but I recon it's easier to overlap the liner. Whoop whoop regarding extra weight at overlap and tyre unbalance. Overlapping opposite the reflector should counter such good enough. If she shakes at high speed her knot might be too stirred up.

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2F...

These are expensive yet great. LBS was cheaper than flea bay. Used tyres until 100s km past no tread. Very rarely punctures. Last puncture was with wheel that didn't have a liner. If liner was there the tube wouldn't have known the prick.
I don't know if I've done the correct thing but I put a 35mm liner into my latest 28mm tyre figuring it would absorb along wall a bit.
Easy as too use. Reusable.

23-28mm tube is a pretty decent size.

mike the bike replied to Boatsie | 6 years ago
2 likes

Boatsie wrote:

......  If liner was there the tube wouldn't have known the prick ......  

Aah, how often have I heard those words.

Boatsie replied to mike the bike | 6 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

Boatsie wrote:

......  If liner was there the tube wouldn't have known the prick ......  

Aah, how often have I heard those words.

I love 'em.
Yes extra weight. Yet only grams and heavier =more momentum down hill hence less effort to push more wind.
They're excellent because not only are they extra tyre thickness, being compressed between tube and tyre and made of Kevlar means that if the smart prick that has penetrated her outer skin gets through then the ultra tough liner will contour such prick protecting her tube from becoming impregnated with thorns and our roads filth.
Honestly really worth using. The only puncture I've had using a liner was 5mm worth of solid thorn and although very sharp the tube deflation rate was about 4-6 hours.
Anyway, at least your using a rubber, heaps cheaper if you don't impregnate the tube. Lol

0 likes

I cannot seem to find anything other than 23-28mm  7 

Kendalred replied to Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
1 like

Psycheonabike wrote:

I cannot seem to find anything other than 23-28mm  7 

The Halfords link you posted was for tubes with 20-25mm tolerance?

As has been said before. you would be better with 23-28mm tubes anyway, as you'll not be inflating  the tube to its maximum tolerance

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

They would be suitable, yes. Personally, I would try and find one where your tyre size is more in the centre of the quoted range ie Your new tyres are 25 mm and those tubes are 20-25 mm but, as someone else said, 23-28 mm would be more ideal.

Psycheonabike replied to StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

They would be suitable, yes. Personally, I would try and find one where your tyre size is more in the centre of the quoted range ie Your new tyres are 25 mm and those tubes are 20-25 mm but, as someone else said, 23-28 mm would be more ideal.

Noted thanks!  1

0 likes

Syncros Race 24 Disc 28 Front / 28 Rear

0 likes
kil0ran replied to Psycheonabike | 6 years ago
0 likes

Psycheonabike wrote:

Thanks,

Are these the ones?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/continental-race-bike-inner-tube-700c-28

Yup, unless you've got aero wheels which I doubt very much on a Speedster.

You'll find them cheaper elsewhere though.

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
0 likes

Probably not  a bad idea ordering a few tubes in the smaller size, yes. When you're googling, search for multi-pack, they can be a lot cheaper if you buy in bulk. This place is good.

0 likes

Thanks everyone!

I've ordered some 25mm Continental Ultrasport for now. see how I get on.

Daft question, will I need a different innertube?

<I said I was a newbie>!

0 likes

Psycheonabike wrote:

Thanks everyone!

I've ordered some 25mm Continental Ultrasport for now. see how I get on.

Daft question, will I need a different innertube?

<I said I was a newbie>!

What tyre size are you running at the moment? Tubes come in a range - typically 23-28mm and 28-35 for road tyres

Psycheonabike replied to kil0ran | 6 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

What tyre size are you running at the moment? Tubes come in a range - typically 23-28mm and 28-35 for road tyres

Schwalbe G-One Allround 700x35C currently - came with the bike.

0 likes

Psycheonabike wrote:

Quote:

Schwalbe G-One Allround 700x35C currently - came with the bike.

In which case yes, you'll need new tubes too. You need to check the width and the valve length - roadies have different valve lengths because of aero rims - you'll like need 42mm or less. Presta valves, something like the Conti Race 28 20-25mm

Grahamd | 6 years ago
0 likes

+1 for GP4000s. 

Chris Hayes | 6 years ago
0 likes

Agree with most of the above.  I generally run Conti 4 Seasons in Winter and GP4000sii otherwise, and, as long as you change  tyres when they wear out they should be trouble-free.  Last year, to get rid of some old stock and as a  bit of experimentation,  I ran sets of Michelin and Vittoria G+ / Roubaix / Corsa tyres: whilst they are undoubtledly fast and well-suited to smooth European roads, I had more punctures and serious cuts that needed attending to than usual.  I've not tried the Conti Ultras, but was seriously tempted at the <£15 they are being offered at on EvansWiggleReaction.com

StraelGuy | 6 years ago
1 like

I'd deffo go for 25 or 28mm. Continental Ultrasport and Grand Prix are both very good if you don't want to spend top dollar. Grand Prix 4000 S II are as good as it gets if you want to push the boat out. Have a look here, it's an interesting read.

robscan1 replied to StraelGuy | 5 years ago
0 likes

StraelGuy wrote:

I'd deffo go for 25 or 28mm. Continental Ultrasport and Grand Prix are both very good if you don't want to spend top dollar. Grand Prix 4000 S II are as good as it gets if you want to push the boat out. Have a look here, it's an interesting read.

I bought a pair of the GP 400 SII and whilst even to my untuned sensibilities they rolled incredibly well, two rides resulted in 2 punctures and that was the end of that, as they were a proper nightmare to get on and off my wheels (HED Ardennes Plus). At that point I decided tubeless was the way forward as these wheels were tubeless ready and I haven't looked back since.  

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

If using tubes, Tuffy tyre liners or similar Kevlar liners work really well.

Pages

Latest Comments