Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuter grumble

Been commuting into work for about 5 years now and at first I used to "commute race" between lights and viewed every other commuter as someone I needed to beat. A terrible habit that must have annoyed others. But I soon realised getting to work 5mins earlier was not worth the dangers. I now go at my own pace but have realised a commuter type/habit that now drives me mad.

When I get to the lights there is always some total slow sod that pulls up in front of me. I mean right in front (usually outside the cycle box). The lights change and I am stuck behind them and when safe get in front of them to get back to my normal pace. Stop at the lights they do it again.

Anyway if you are one of them people. Stop it. Stop it now!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Boatsie | 6 years ago
0 likes

Idiots everywhere. Last night I heard a beer bottle explode behind me and looked sidewards to view a car filled with pissed idiots. Yay great. Took council about 3 months to clean up glass from accident near and motorists don't like cyclists using the big lane rather than roll on glass. Lol.

BehindTheBikesheds | 6 years ago
0 likes

Fuggin MGIFs everywhere, as I've said plenty of times, some people get out of their cars and are exactly the same selfish twats when they're on a bike. Was cut up twice this week by people with bikes attached or in the back of their motor, people just don't give a fuck anymore.

The only upside is that someone on a bike is less likely to kill or maim you than if they were in a motor, still sodding annoying to say the least though when some selfish wanksplat cuts in on you or moves directly in front of you instead of just waiting patiently.

ChrisB200SX | 6 years ago
0 likes

Queue-jumping. Not very British or civilised, is it. Rules of the road are generally there for good reasons. I'd offer some sarcastic advice when I inevitably overtake them before the next set of lights.

don simon fbpe | 6 years ago
4 likes

Have you ever thought about doing something that'd help you chill out? They tell me cycling is good for this.

Leviathan | 6 years ago
2 likes

I once overtook a guy (at a not very fast pace, ) then stopped at the next lights (in the box, on the line.) He then cruises past me, across the line and out into the curve of the junction. When the lights change we cross the junction and I have to wait for a few cars to overtake before I can. I said something along the lines of 'why were blocking me off, I've just overtaken you then you jump the lights and block me again, thats just rude...' to paraphrase. I think he was totally oblivious to what he had done. Fluorescent berks; complete I'm-alright-Jack attitude.

AfterPeak | 6 years ago
1 like

What cheers me up is when someone tries to get away quickly and their gears slip  1

Paul_C | 6 years ago
1 like

I hate it, especially as I have an e-bike and have good acceleration from the lights...

hawkinspeter | 6 years ago
13 likes

Your best bet is to commute in a flat-bed truck. Slowly bump into the back of the problem bikes until they fall over and then run over the bike so that they can't use it anymore. Then rush off without exchanging details.

In the unlikely event that people have witnessed you doing that and you get caught, just don't bother turning up for any police interviews or court appearances. Oh, it's a good idea to wear a patch over one eye so that you can claim that they didn't see you.

The worst that will happen is you get a 9-month driving ban (which you don't care about as you'll be cycling in future) and have to do some community service (probably quite therapeutic).

Latest Comments