Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Amalfi Coast (Italy) Bike Hire

Just looking for recommendations really, I'll be spending a week in Maiori in July and ideally like to get in some riding.

I'm not going to take my own bike so will need to hire one, there doesn't appear to be anywhere locally in Maiori with decent road bikes for hire.

I've found these guys online:

http://www.cyclingamalfi.com/en

Before I book a bike for a few days...

- Anyone have any personal recommendations for bike hire in vincinty? I won't have a car so they'll need to deliver a bike to the hotel.

- Any comments about the riding there? I hear it's beautiful, however the mountain roads are narrow and busy (coaches being a problem).  Is it a stressful place to cycle?

Thanks,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

mmbratu74 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Hi , if you want a great service take a look at http://amalficoastrentalcf.com/en/BikeRental/AmalfiCoast. They have a lot bikes of any types. Before to buy call them and ask for the delivery places. We talked to Francesca who took the bikes to the hotel in Maiori.

IanEdward | 6 years ago
1 like

Actually, 46 cobbled hairpins with views over the Bay of Naples?

It'd be criminal not to!

//i.imgur.com/5ec7hGX.jpg)

NiceGuySean | 6 years ago
0 likes

The coastal road, especially in July, will be extremely busy. The road is very narrow and twisting, and tourist coaches + the number of holidaymakers will mean the coastal road will be busy at all hours. However normally once you branch off and head up the traffic should be less. Take care descending, I wouldn't build up too much speed, you never know who might have decided to stop just around the corner (regardless of what's legal).

As Ian Edward said, if you like a hike the Sentiero degli Dei (Walk of the Gods) is well worth it, one of the nicest day walks I've ever done, if murder on the knees gong back down.

Try http://www.sorrentobike.com/ for rental, they'll deliver to you.Never used them but the bikes look good. Another possibility is http://www.rentalbikeitaly.com/p/bicycle-rental.html

IanEdward | 6 years ago
0 likes

Have you seen the climb up to Villaggio Monte Faito? 46 hairpins by my count, descent down the other side looks good also...

That being said, do you hike? I did a day hike starting and finishing on the steps above Furore, up onto the mountain ridge, and back down to Bomerano and home via the Santieri degli Dei. Finished up watching a thunder and lightening storm and two tornadoes out at sea! Brilliant (long) day..

Edit: It's a bit obvious but I did regret not riding up and down Vesuvius, but that road looks like it takes no prisoners! Early AM looks like the best time for it...

sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

Interesting - I kinda assumed it would be similar to Garda in the north of the country, great tarmac and nice wide roads around the lake which weren't really that busy.

Tis a family holiday so I'll only ever go out for a couple of half days.  Unfortunately I don't think it's the sort of place where I can hire a bike on a whim - I'd need to commit to a few days cycle hire months in advance.

Grub | 6 years ago
0 likes

Did some riding there early August 2018 when there for a week’s holiday in Sorrento. Ended up taking my bike as it worked out cheaper than hiring for a week (I remember looking at the company you mention, but no experience of them i’m afraid). Altho I guess you could hire for less time. 

Great scenery and some great climbs up onto the centre of the peninsular inc some really steep stuff in places. Roads surfaces are awful IMO, lots of potholes and poorly fitting manhole covers. They’re also generally narrow and the main coast road can be very busy and needs you to keep your wits about you at times.

Europe was in the grip of that heatwave at the time so it was HOT - into the 40s celcius, and whilst that was a bit excessive, as mentioned you might want to pick your times. 

Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Don't know about hire places, sorry. But the riding is ace, and can be busy as you guessed. I rode with two mates near Positano in August a few years ago. Literally 200m after we clipped in we came round a corner to find a bin lorry blocking the road. We managed to squeeze by, but the rest of the traffic couldn't, so we had 15-20 minutes of blissfully free roads. Be warned, there isn't much flat so you're either climbing or descending and chances are it will be hot, so maybe don't plan your longest/hardest ride. It will probably be an out and back route too, it's quite hard to find a circular route.

sergius replied to Daveyraveygravey | 6 years ago
0 likes

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Don't know about hire places, sorry. But the riding is ace, and can be busy as you guessed. I rode with two mates near Positano in August a few years ago. Literally 200m after we clipped in we came round a corner to find a bin lorry blocking the road. We managed to squeeze by, but the rest of the traffic couldn't, so we had 15-20 minutes of blissfully free roads. Be warned, there isn't much flat so you're either climbing or descending and chances are it will be hot, so maybe don't plan your longest/hardest ride. It will probably be an out and back route too, it's quite hard to find a circular route.

Thanks, good to know.  Is it just the routes up the hills which are narrow?  Is the coastal road better?

Daveyraveygravey replied to sergius | 6 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Daveyraveygravey wrote:

Thanks, good to know.  Is it just the routes up the hills which are narrow?  Is the coastal road better?

I think nearly all the roads are narrow, and yes the surfaces can be horrendous.  It's just a feature of the terrain, there isn't any room to build wide roads.  Another reason to ride early before the sun gets going properly, the roads will be a little quieter.

Latest Comments